Question about upgrading PowerPC based Macs from OS X 10.4.11 to 10.5

tomdkat

Registered
I'm basically in the same boat as this person in that I need to upgrade from OS X 10.4.11 to 10.5. In my case, I need to upgrade a Mac-mini and two iMacs.

I'm scouring the web for legal copies of OS X 10.5 I can purchase and I've been finding upgrade DVDs being sold in addition to full install DVDs. Both sets of DVDs are official Apple DVDs.

My question: could I use an 10.5 upgrade DVD to do the upgrade or must I use a 10.5 full install DVD? I do realize there is a difference between a 10.5 update DVD vs an upgrade DVD and I'm asking about a 10.5 upgrade DVD.

Thanks!

Peace...

The upgrade DVD should work as long as its not machine specific. The upgrades were supposed to be part of a hardware bundle and not to be sold separately, so whoever is selling them isn't supposed to be. But the upgrades look for 10.4 to be on the machine and technically will work in that scenario.

Thanks for the valuable piece of information! :)

I'll be sure to keep that in mind when considering purchases.

Peace...

I am finding so much conflicting information on posts, the internet and elsewhere with regard to installing Leopard 10.5.x on a 1GHz Power Mac G4 MDD FW-800. Can someone tell me what is the real answer to installing Leopard 10.5.x on my G4 MDD FW-800. It is my understanding that I need Leopard 10.5.0. Is this true or not? All that I can find out about this says that I need that version (10.5.0) to be able to install any version higher than Leopard 10.5.0. Someone please help!

All you need is a Mac OS X 10.5 installer DVD. That has been available in a several versions. ANY will work for you, as long as you have a black DVD (which is the commercial installer disk), and not a grey DVD (which is specific for individual model Macs, and _won't_ work for you.
So - to answer your question directly - Yes, you 'need' Leopard 10.5.0, but any version 10.5.x will work for you as long as it's one of the commercial installs (the black DVD) - so please disregard the third digit - it's not important for what you want to do.
You'll run Software Update after the installation, which will update you to version 10.5.8 - along with all the other updates for security, etc. So, it doesn't matter which version 10.5.x you start with. Your goal is 10.5.8, which is a combined updater that will update any version from 10.5.0 to 10.5.8 to 10.5.8

Back