Raid 0

darkroomdemon

Registered
Most of my work is done on my main G5 in the studio.
However I have several other Macs spread around the place.
All are networked, two wired, one wireless, through an Airport Extreme.
From these satellite machines, I want to be able to access files worked on my main G5, save them and have them saved to both the network drive AND my G5's internal HDs.

Am I nuts?

Will the bellow mess work?

If I set up a Raid O:

1. Can I mirror my two internal HDs with a networked (ethernet, airport extreme) of suitable size?

2. If yes, I then can access a file written on my main computer and saved to that network drive via RAID from a second computer, change it, save it and then access it from my first, main computer? Will this change be saved to the internal HDs of my main, first computer?

Sorry about the confusion. 'Tis the best I could come up with.

Thanks in advance for a great service.

Leland

No, you cannot put drives that are on separate computers into a RAID array over a network. The drives that are members of a RAID array must be present on the same RAID controller; in this case (since the Mac OS X operating system is acting as the "RAID controller"), a drive that is directly connected to your computer in some fashion (FireWire, USB, SATA, etc.).

It sounds like what you need is a good rsync cron/launchd script that constantly synchronizes two volumes.

Back