RealOne Player 10.0B

Note: RealOne Player v10 beta is the new version of RealPlayer for Mac OS X. The official release isn't out yet.

One user reports that the installation of RealOne Player v10b removed a certain codec used for a streaming radio station and was unable to restore functionality.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040701075435743

All in all, though, when it comes out of beta, it should be a great leap forward from RealOne Player 9.

Real can shove off.

I will not participate in using their garbage player and codec(s).

I just wish they would go away and quit muddying the waters with inferior product.

I encourage others to help my grass roots campaign and pretend Real doesn't even exist. :)

M$ can shove off too with WM9, but that's not going to happen. At least with Real I can pretend they'll go away.

I try to avoid Real whenever possible, but the latest version is by far its best product yet. I hate to say it, but I'm impressed with it.

Hmm, Randman's comment is making me interested in checking it out.

The one thing that REALLY buggers me about RealPlayer is that you have to sign up for a (free) account when you install it; does 10 force you to do that too?

I'm sure it's a good product. I just have a strong hatred for all things proprietary. Apple has come a long way in utilizing open standards and I think Real and M$ should follow suit. Right now, using their products is just adding to the problem, not solving it. As a developer, I can't tell you how irritating it is to have these utterly uncooperative products pollute my workflow.

mindbend said:
I'm sure it's a good product. I just have a strong hatred for all things proprietary.
RealPlayer's streaming engine is open sourced. You can join HelixCommunity.org and check out the code yourself.

Back