RealPC coming back

Excalibur

Registered
Apparently they are coming back.

RealPC

When Microsoft purchased Virtual PC, we decided it was time to re-release an updated version of Real PC & SoftWindows 98 (and shortly XP etc). We had to discontinue the product as the agreement was with Connectix, not Microsoft. If you would like to update your Real PC to a faster, better and more powerful version, give us 30 days to finish the software and you'll be glad you waited.

Should be an interesting year here.

Cool. Now the question is, will it be faster than Virtual PC? I hope so. If they can make it faster then they will definately sell a lot of copies.

Hey, if I could get the hole out of my Classic environment I'd be using X on my iMac, but I can't and most of what I do requires Classic, so I'm predominantly a 9er.

Hmm... RealPC and SoftWindows 98 were a bit strange back then. Virtual PC was gaining field fast when it came out.

I personally don't have anything against Microsoft being the new publisher/developer of Virtual PC, as you'll mostly use it for Microsoft software, anyway. It's a good product, and the MacBU isn't known for _bad_ software, actually.

why should they? their aim is not to emulate a processor, emulating a processor is merely a means of transport. the aim is to run software written for Microsoft Windows.

Originally posted by gwynarion
Except Internet Explorer...
IE isn't 'bad'.
It misses some features that Safari has (tabbed browsing, speed), but it's more compatible with most sites then Safari... (i have some sites that look like crap/crash on Safari & run wonderfull in IE)

Are you kidding?

IE is slow, bloated, and full of non compliant HTML hacks. Most of these are in line with IE for Windows, but they still don't adhere to standards. Of course, since MS owns 95% of the market, they can break standards and still claim standard compliancy, but...

I had removed it from my Powerbook, until just recently when I needed to access Macromedia's Exchange site, which doesn't work too well with Safari or Camino, unfortunately....

off the original topic... but
IE on the mac is awful (from a web developers point of view) it's support of various standards is flakey at the very least, stuff that renders fine on IE5, 5.5 & 6 on Windows just does nothing on Mac IE.
The only reason it's still on my PB is that I still need to do compatability checks with it.

Back on topic now...
Welcome back RealPC :)
The competition to MS/Virtual PC can only be a good thing.
OS9 only?
Ah well, I can forgive them for that as they've been out of the game for a while.

I've just bought RealPC v1.0 for girlie's powerbook (five quid on eBay), Windows95 runs like a dog, but that's no surprise.

Quick thought...
Will RealPC run under classic?
If so, fun and games tonight....
OSX running OS9 classic
Classic running RealPC
RealPC running Win95
Win95 running Virtual PlayStation
tee hee, emulation overload here i come :)

Originally posted by NielZ
IE isn't 'bad'.
It misses some features that Safari has (tabbed browsing, speed), but it's more compatible with most sites then Safari... (i have some sites that look like crap/crash on Safari & run wonderfull in IE)
Saying that IE is more compatible with most sites is analogous to saying that infections are more compatible with open wounds than with a healthy body. IE works better with sites which are badly built. Other than that I agree with the rest of what Serpicolugnut and Abyard said. As a web designer I support Win IE because I have to, but I do not support Mac IE. I always go with the hope that Mac users know enough not to be using that sorry piece of crap.

Originally posted by gwynarion
As a web designer I support Win IE because I have to, but I do not support Mac IE. I always go with the hope that Mac users know enough not to be using that sorry piece of crap.

lol :)

I always take a look at the sites i'm working on in Mac IE so that I can justify my constant whinging to my boss that we should never let a M$ app/os anywhere near a computer*

Ab.

* MSN Messenger is an exception

IE is more old than anything. It has never really been rewritten for about 2-3 years. It was a straight port from the OS9 version, and was left for dead on OSX. Honestly what has been updated since the publice beta? Nothing but security updates. Windows has had 2 full version updates since. 5.5 and now 6.0. Unfortunatly as web developer I have to keep it around to test code in it, even though I personally don't use it for browsing.

Originally posted by dsnyder
Jeffrey Zeldman disagrees:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/ie5mac/

Mr Zeldman heaps praise on IE-Mac for the 1st few pages of his review but on the last page he mentions the DOM and that's where my problems lie.

I don't know when the article was written but I guess it was when web pages were static apart from a few rollovers, the people I write for (Intranets mostly) now demand a user interface that does a bit more.

M$ have a nasty habit of changing what they support (including their own extensions) and I have a nightmare on Windows with IE5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 and the various SP releases between.

I have to support all the Win variants because with locked down desktops (the norm within every company i've worked for) mean that I can't just say "Just download the latest release".
I only test on my Mac (OSX & OS9) because it make me laugh to see how M$ haven't really understood the idea of "Cross Platform Consistency".

Meanwhile back at the thread...
If I run RealPC can I have an ASP compatible web server running (IIS or PWS) that I can connect to from the Mac side?
No use for my work stuff but like I said M$ are a source of amusement for me.

gotta go, I've made a cup of coffee, added to this thread and my W2K machine has just received two new "Critical Updates" :)

Originally posted by dsnyder
Jeffrey Zeldman disagrees:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/ie5mac/
That article is nearly three years old. There have been changes to the standards and IE has not eveloved to meet them. There have also been a number of new browsers released since then that do significantly better. Finally, I don't always agree with what Zeldman expounds about, and this is one of those times.

Originally posted by abyard
Meanwhile back at the thread...
If I run RealPC can I have an ASP compatible web server running (IIS or PWS) that I can connect to from the Mac side?
No use for my work stuff but like I said M$ are a source of amusement for me.

The info page for SoftWindows (I think it's just RealPC with Window 98 preinstalled) says that it "Shares your MacÕs IP address" ( http://www.fwb.com/html/softwindows98.html ), so one can only assume that you would be able to run IIS and connect to localhost in your Mac browser. Of course, there isn't any information about installing NT/2000/XP, so it's not clear if there are drivers available for the virtual RealPC hardware.

I'm pretty sure that Virtual PC can do what you want though (you can even give the Virtual PC it's own IP address).

Back