RealPC coming back

real pc os x estimated arrival date is 6.1.03.....if you purchase for os 9 now you will receive the new version free

What id really like too see is a super fast emulation of windows programs running on OS X..... you know like the way classic ran on X.......

Even better id like to see it manipulate the windows GUI to a OS X look, im pretty sure this could be done. It would be a project worth the effort. And a true checkmate for Apple.

Mabey that's what the Panther" to end all comparisons" thing is all about as seen on loop rumors. imagine the possibilities with games for eg...

Yay! Is anybody else just plain proud that FWB has the guts to take on the big guys? *applauds*

All hail RealPC!

Let's just hope it's fast...

As Microsoft isn't exactly known for frequent updates, FWB could actually have a chance.

However: MS can win the price war, if they just give you VPC + Windows license for the price of a Windows license... We'll see. ;-)

Anybody, anywhere, ever manage to get SoftWindows 95 (or RealPC running Win95) to see their Mac's web connection?

My SW98 can see my cable connection just fine, but not SW95. I've just transferred both of them to my new 12" PB and now SW95 can even see my modem to get a dial-up connection! Aargh!

Hmm... Microsoft, Cease and Desist, MS buying VPC... coincidence? How about no.
Dear FWB customers,

As you are all aware, FWB is working diligently to update Real PC and Softwindows for OSX. In May, while working on this project, we received a setback in the form of a cease and desist letter from Microsoft.

We are working to resolve the issues with Microsoft, and this has caused some delay, much to our frustration. We are committed to having a beta for you to test for us and help us optimize, this summer._ We think we have only lost a few weeks_ of time to this issue.

FWB appreciates your continued patience and support

FWB's agreement not to produce RealPC was with Connectix and not Microsoft, so I don't see how MS's cease and decist order could hold any ground.

FWB's agreement not to produce RealPC was with Connectix and not Microsoft, so I don't see how MS's cease and decist order could hold any ground.

But by buying Connectix, MS was entitled to all rights and judgments that Connectix held at the time. I can fully understand MS issuing a cease and decist. The only way FWB would be able to bypass the original agreement was if the original agreement had a clause that made it null and void if Connectix was sold to a 3rd party.

I'm no lawyer (although several of my friends are and I play one on TV), but I wouldn't get to psyched for RealPC or Softwindows for OS X. Few survive the wrath of the MS legal team...

There's a good quote from an MS employee in that press release:

"Our customers told us they wanted a best-of-breed virtual machine solution that enables them to run their legacy Windows applications, even as they migrate to more modern operating system technology,” said Bill Veghte, corporate vice president of the Windows Server Group at Microsoft."

So the guy knows that Windows is crap and says people want to still use their old Windows progs while migrating to the superior MacOSX System. ::ha:: :D

MS did NOT buy Connectix, they bought VirtualPC FROM Connectix.

You are correct. I forgot the terms of the acquisition.

I doubt then that MS will win this one. However, MS can make it impossible for FWB to include Windows, essentially killing SoftWindows. Probably just as well, because to be cost effective, RealPC will need to cost less than VirtualPC, and perform just as good, if not better...

So the guy knows that Windows is crap and says people want to still use their old Windows progs while migrating to the superior MacOSX System.

Actually, he was referring to VirtualPC for Windows, which allows paranoid IT managers to upgrade to new Windows versions while still retaining 100% backwards compatability with progams that might not work right with the new OS.

VPC for Windows was the impetus for the entire purchase. VPC for Mac was just gravy...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Actually, he was referring to VirtualPC for Windows, which allows paranoid IT managers to upgrade to new Windows versions while still retaining 100% backwards compatability with progams that might not work right with the new OS.

VPC for Windows was the impetus for the entire purchase. VPC for Mac was just gravy...
You are almost right. It is Virtual Server that M$ really wanted. Virtual Server is still in beta. Think of it as VPC for Windows for the enterprise. You have the rest about right. Virtual Server will allow M$'s victims--I mean "customers"--to deploy M$'s new systems which they don't trust on virtual machines hosted by M$'s old systems which they do trust.

Here is a "nice" update about RealPC straight from their site:
Dear FWB customers,

As you are all aware, FWB is working diligently to update Real PC and Softwindows for OSX. In May, while working on this project, we received a setback in the form of a cease and desist letter from Microsoft.

We are working to resolve the issues with Microsoft, and this has caused some delay, much to our frustration. We are committed to having a beta for you to test for us and help us optimize, this summer._ We think we have only lost a few weeks of time to this issue.

FWB appreciates your continued patience and support.

And here is the link to that site:
http://www.fwb.com/html/powerwindows.html

I hope that they will resolve their issues and give the Mac users what they want and how they want it: Windows on Mac :eek: :p :D ;)

:)

it'd be nice to run windows _apps_ on macosx as opposed to the entire operating system. i'm a compsci major, but i haven't gotten into OS development classes yet (i'm a junior), but i see this as an item that would definitely boost speed. just emulate the back-end without the operating system.

such a program would take eons to write, though, i would assume.

Originally posted by boi
it'd be nice to run windows _apps_ on macosx as opposed to the entire operating system. i'm a compsci major, but i haven't gotten into OS development classes yet (i'm a junior), but i see this as an item that would definitely boost speed. just emulate the back-end without the operating system.

The back end is the operating system.

M$ selling VPC makes sense because they can bundle whatever version of Windoze the customer wants at no real cost, and they can adjust it to work perfectly with that version of Windoze. However, I hope someone, like FWB, can successfully sell a competitor, because that would encourage M$ to watch how they play the market (unless they buy that as well, of course).

What ever happened to the Yellow Box in Darwin/OSX? You know, the part that was supposed to run Windows apps natively?

There is another solution out there worth checking out. Bochs is open-source software that functions as a Windows emulator on Unix machines.

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

From the Web site:
Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486 or Pentium CPU. Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Linux, Windows® 95, DOS, and recently Windows® NT 4.

Back