RealPC coming back

Originally posted by pyroboy
What ever happened to the Yellow Box in Darwin/OSX? You know, the part that was supposed to run Windows apps natively?

There is another solution out there worth checking out. Bochs is open-source software that functions as a Windows emulator on Unix machines.

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

From the Web site:
You are confused. The Yellow Box originated as OpenSTEP and evolved into what we know today as Cocoa. The Blue Box is now known as Classic. You are thinking about the Red Box which was supposed to run Windows apps under Rhapsody. However, the Red Box was a rumor. That is all it ever was. Part of your confusion may stem from the fact that the Yellow Box was highly portable. Before Rhapsody morphed into MacOS X, Apple planned to have the Yellow Box running as a standalone OS with the Blue Box providing the Mac-compatibility environment, as an environment hosted by the traditional Mac OS, and as an environment hosted by Windows NT on Intel hardware. Because NeXT had already ported OpenSTEP to WinNT, Yellow Box on NT would have really just been an upgrade to OpenSTEP on NT.

The red box was more than a rumor. Apple put out information on it. There are some good reasons why it never saw the light of day. I mean really, why would developers write programs for Cocoa when they could just port Windows apps? I know many reasons why, but that's the kind of decisions Apple would wisely avoid by never releasing such a product.

Look at all the furor over Adobe and their Windows only programs people have ranted about. I'm talking about software that never made it to the Mac.

Back to my other point, what about bochs? Surely an open source Windows emulator beats out Virtual PC or Soft Windows any day.

It really depends on how well it functions. You could say the same thing about Linux: surely an open source, free operating system with tons of extras is preferrable to Mac or Windows... yet sales of both remain high.

The red box was more than a rumor. Apple put out information on it. There are some good reasons why it never saw the light of day. I mean really, why would developers write programs for Cocoa when they could just port Windows apps? I know many reasons why, but that's the kind of decisions Apple would wisely avoid by never releasing such a product.

Look at all the furor over Adobe and their Windows only programs people have ranted about. I'm talking about software that never made it to the Mac.

Back to my other point, what about bochs? Surely an open source Windows emulator beats out Virtual PC or Soft Windows any day.
Two things:

1. Would you be so kind as to give us any reference that you might have to Apple's information on the Red Box?

2. Having actually used Virtual PC, SoftWindows, and Bochs, I can assure you that Bochs beats neither of the other two. The major reason is simple. Bochs is neither a Macintosh or PPC application. It is a Macintosh/PPC port of generic code. Someone in the open source may decide to write an x86 emulator for PPC that rivals VPC and SoftWindows in performance. As of now, however, Bochs is not it.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Just because there's an alternative does not mean it's the best alternative. Macromedia Freehand is an alternative to Adobe Photoshop, but if you had to choose one, which would you pick?4

Originally posted by MisterMe
Two things:

1. Would you be so kind as to give us any reference that you might have to Apple's information on the Red Box?

2. Having actually used Virtual PC, SoftWindows, and Bochs, I can assure you that Bochs beats neither of the other two. The major reason is simple. Bochs is neither a Macintosh or PPC application. It is a Macintosh/PPC port of generic code. Someone in the open source may decide to write an x86 emulator for PPC that rivals VPC and SoftWindows in performance. As of now, however, Bochs is not it.

Dearheart, you really need to relax. Are you afraid someone might think you're no longer king geek or something? Calm down, this is all supposed to be pleasant discussion. No need to throw down your +4 Gauntlet of Oracle knowlege. It is no match against my +50 Helm of Not Giving a Shit anyway.

Since Boch is an open source product, it would be hard to believe that it is as mature of a product as either Virtual PC or SoftWindows. Both applications have been around for a long time and both had well funded engineering departments behind them.

Still, Bochs exists, so there is another alternative. That's my point. It may not be as good, but it could get as good.

Originally posted by arden
That's exactly what I was referring to. Just because there's an alternative does not mean it's the best alternative. Macromedia Freehand is an alternative to Adobe Photoshop, but if you had to choose one, which would you pick?4

I'd choose FreeHand for vector based images and Photoshop for graphic based images. If I had to make a movie poster, edit headshots, I'd most likely choose PhotoShop. If I was designing a flyer, a creative book, maps, some types of logos, I'd choose Freehand.

Both are wonderful tools that can do the job of the other, but each is still far better at it's core functionality and worth owning.

Crap, I fucked up that analogy! I should have compared Freehand to Illustrator. I thought there was a Macromedia-made competitor for Photoshop; I can't remember what it might be. So, to redo the analogy above, Freehand is an alternative to Illustrator; but when it comes down to the wire, are you going to go with one of those, or Joe Shmoe's open source crapware?

Besides, you need to lighten up, Pyroboy. MisterMe was simply stating that, from experience, he can testify that bochs is not superior to either VPC or SW. Just because it isn't now doesn't mean it never will be, but he's saying that right now it isn't the best alternative. Don't go questioning his credibility because that makes you look bad.

Dearheart, you really need to relax. Are you afraid someone might think you're no longer king geek or something? Calm down, this is all supposed to be pleasant discussion. No need to throw down your +4 Gauntlet of Oracle knowlege. It is no match against my +50 Helm of Not Giving a Shit anyway.

Since Boch is an open source product, it would be hard to believe that it is as mature of a product as either Virtual PC or SoftWindows. Both applications have been around for a long time and both had well funded engineering departments behind them.

Still, Bochs exists, so there is another alternative. That's my point. It may not be as good, but it could get as good.
I take it then that when you asserted that the Red Box was more than a rumor, you were merely engaged in "pleasant discussion"? That really does help me to relax. Thanks, I needed that.

Toodles.

Open Source Crapware?

I'm not talking about something you wrote, I'm talking about a real, live application that exists and works.

If VPC is pulled from the market and Microsoft prevents SW from being updated or released, it would be nice to have something besides a gaping hole where functionality existed before.

In that case, Bochs would be a perfect alternative to turn to since it currently exists, it works and if Apple needed it, the software could be cleaned up and made very functional or be included into the OS.

I mean really, I am happy MisterPee thinks my writings are so great they need doctorial references, but alas, this is not academic, it's for fun. If the two of you could be a little more friendly, this discussion would not becoming rather boring at this point...

Back