Registering my computer in Mobile Me

lbrandt

Registered
In MobileMe System Preferences, in the Sync panel at the top, there is a checkbox entitled "Synchronize with MobileMe". When I try to check the box, it will not stay checked, keeps reverting to unchecked. I have an active and paid up Me account and have signed in to it. This problem may be related to the fact that I cannot register my computer by clicking the Advanced lozenge at the bottom of the same page. My computer just keeps trying to register and never succeeds.

Suggestions please.

...Larry

Your computer must be registered in order to sync. If your computer won't register, than you cannot sync, and therefore the checkbox will not remain checked.

Can you look in Console.app and see if there are any error messages that pertain to trying to register the computer with MobileMe?

Are you behind any kind of firewall that would prevent MobileMe registration? Are you running Little Snitch and perhaps blocking that communication?

I see lots or errors identical to this one:
----------
Feb 12 13:10:36 lbrandtxp System Preferences[28031]: MobileMe login error: Error Domain=DotMacProxyErrorDomain Code=-103 UserInfo=0x6e9fd30 "Unable to access your .Mac user name or password. Please verify your .Mac member name and password in the .Mac preferences in System Preferences."
----------
A fellow here at work had the same problem and suggested that I log off MobileMe and log back in again. That works, but then you have to re-sync MobileMe which takes a while. I guess I'll check the box on the MobileMe sign in page that tells them I want to stay logged in for 2 weeks. I always thought that was strange, but now I see at least one advantage for desktop machines. With my laptop though I have to log off and on often.

Not elegant.

Thanks for the help.

Well then lets reset the sync data for your current Mobile Me account. Open System Preferences (in your Dock)->MobileMe pane, then the "Advanced' button. There you can reset you sync data.

That won't work unless the computer is registered with MobileMe, and from the OP's explanation, he can't even get his computer registered with MobileMe.

Larry: the error message says, in no uncertain terms, that either the username or password is incorrect in the MobileMe preference pane. Are you absolutely positive that you're using the correct username and password in the MobileMe preference pane? Also, usernames, in certain areas of Apple things, must be postfixed with "@me.com" or "@mac.com." Is your username post-pended with either of those, or do you simple have your username entered in the preference pane?

Back