renaming folders in Launchpad on OS X 10.8

alpha754293

Registered
Hi. I don't know why this is but my 13" MBP (mid 2010) isn't letting me rename the folders in Launchpad at all. (ANY folder - doesn't matter whether it's ones that I just created or ones that's been there for a while.)

Is there a way for me to do that via CLI or something like that?

And I've already tried clicking on the title, double clicking the title, clicking on the title immediately after the folder gets created, double-clicking the title right after the folder gets created and none of those options seem to be working.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

You get to Launchpad through the finder, using the same process that you get to Launchpad at any other time. That's not what I asked - I wanted to know if you can ALSO change folder names in the Finder. Perhaps you can not change the name of ANY folders - maybe because you have file sharing turned on (which would naturally prevent renaming folders)
Maybe I am misunderstanding your request? Here's another question:
Have you EVER been able to change the names of folders in your Launchpad?
If that worked for you in Lion, maybe it's a "feature" that has been removed in Mountain Lion?

You get to Launchpad through the finder, using the same process that you get to Launchpad at any other time. That's not what I asked - I wanted to know if you can ALSO change folder names in the Finder. Perhaps you can not change the name of ANY folders - maybe because you have file sharing turned on (which would naturally prevent renaming folders)
Maybe I am misunderstanding your request? Here's another question:
Have you EVER been able to change the names of folders in your Launchpad?
If that worked for you in Lion, maybe it's a "feature" that has been removed in Mountain Lion?

Regular Finder - yes, I can change folder names there.

No shares have been defined on the MBP. (All of the file sharing/data is routed through my centralized servers.)

I don't know. I've never tried changing the names of the folders in Launchpad. This is the first time that I'm trying it.

And it came with Mountain Lion already pre-installed by my dad (who was the previous owner of the system). (Not sure if that's relevant or not; and I have administrator rights and I've also have root access as well.)

File sharing - only means that file sharing is turned on, and is not related in any way to your connection to a server, etc. Check in your System Preferences/Sharing pane to see what sharing services are turned ON. You do NOT need file sharing turned ON to access a file server. File sharing ON means that you can share files to someone, or somewhere else directly from your Mac.
I should note that having the root user enabled is an unsafe way to maintain your Mac. Most users may enable the root user for some purpose, and when that purpose is over, disable the root user. (enough of that!)
Here's what works for me in Lion (I don't have Mountain Lion) to rename a Launchpad folder: Open LaunchPad, so you can see your folder. hold the Option key, and all the icons should start 'shaking'. Click on your folder icon, and you should see the apps in that folder. Click on the name of the folder, which should highlight that folder name. Type to replace that name with whatever you like.
Is that something that you have already tried? What happens to the name, if you select it (single-click to select), then begin typing?

Last edited:
In Launchpad with a folder I can open the folder and then, when folder is open, and click on the folder name it opens in the change were you can type/delete letters.

File sharing - only means that file sharing is turned on, and is not related in any way to your connection to a server, etc. Check in your System Preferences/Sharing pane to see what sharing services are turned ON. You do NOT need file sharing turned ON to access a file server. File sharing ON means that you can share files to someone, or somewhere else directly from your Mac.
I should note that having the root user enabled is an unsafe way to maintain your Mac. Most users may enable the root user for some purpose, and when that purpose is over, disable the root user. (enough of that!)
Here's what works for me in Lion (I don't have Mountain Lion) to rename a Launchpad folder: Open LaunchPad, so you can see your folder. hold the Option key, and all the icons should start 'shaking'. Click on your folder icon, and you should see the apps in that folder. Click on the name of the folder, which should highlight that folder name. Type to replace that name with whatever you like.
Is that something that you have already tried? What happens to the name, if you select it (single-click to select), then begin typing?

Umm.....in that case, I'm not sure if I have sharing enabled or not. I'll have to check when I get home.

I enabled root so that I can build a index of all files sitting on the drive (so that I know what tools I do and don't have (when compared to Linux/Solaris). If I don't enable it, I get a permissions error when I try to search for a tool/command that I'm accustomed to having/using from either Linux/Solaris; so enabling root allows me to run
~# find / > mymac.txt

so that way whenever I have to look to see if there's a tool or a command; I can just do

~$ cat mymac.txt | grep tool

(since Spotlight doesn't always find it - tried it.)

I'll have to give that shot. I think that I MIGHT have tried it last night, but I tried so many combinations last night that I don't even remember them all.

In Launchpad with a folder I can open the folder and then, when folder is open, and click on the folder name it opens in the change were you can type/delete letters.

Yea...that didn't work for me. At all. (Which is why I am asking if there's a way to change it via the CLI.)

Then boot into Revovery mode and when that comes up use Disk Utility to do a Repair Permissions. This might help.

I'll try DeltaMac's suggestion and if that doesn't work; I'll try this. Although I should think/hope that everything is governed by some kind of text file that I can edit with the CLI...but you never know.

(yea...I'm rather comfortable with most of the CLI stuff; if I have to, as long as I know where I need to go and what file I need to edit.)

No need to boot to the Recovery System, just to run Repair Disk Permissions (doubtful if that would change anything, but still...). All you need to do is go to the Applications/Utilities folder, then run Disk Utility, where you can choose Repair Disk Permissions.

I ended up just rebooting the MacBook Pro and that seemed to have fixed it. I guess that having an uptime of close to 30 days - it didn't like that despite the OS being derived from *BSD.

I didn't make any changes to the permissions or anything like that. Weird.

Whoops. Sorry for the double post. I couldn't merge this one to the one before it and then delete this one.

Back