Rep Power Icons? a new addition. i'm confused by it

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
Whats all this new rep power stuff? what does it all mean? i'm new to forums in general, so could someone explain it to me? what's the difference between grey and green? ScottW is 10 as he started the site. what does my 4 mean?

saw it today too for the first time. havn't been able to figure it out yet. but my uneducated guess is that if someones post helped you, you click on the reputation puffy cloud icon next to the online indicator. maybe i can up mine all by my self........

na, that would be no fun, just proof that i have a big ego. :D

If you notice at the bottom of the poster info, there are 3 icons, the Active icon, an add reputation icon and a report bad post icon. I would believe the Rep Power reflects the number of good reputation responses you have gotten.

BTW adambyte owns us all.

Ok, on another forum, we have a rep system too.

Basically, you can give your opinion on someone's post.

So, if I come in saying you all suck, you can click the little weird icon next to my Online/Offline status, and give me good/bad rep, and why.

The more rep, the more green blocks. Get too much bad rep, you get a red block.

It's a nice little system. On the other site, we have it so if you go to User CP, it shows what rep you have, who by, and what for.

Hope this helps.

well, i can only see this as being beneficial in 2 ways
1) Validity of a post (being able to trust someone with a high rep
2) Being able to filter out people who have a rep lower than 0 (like that AMD guy ><) and having an option to not see those posts.

JetwingX said:
well, i can only see this as being beneficial in 2 ways
1) Validity of a post (being able to trust someone with a high rep
2) Being able to filter out people who have a rep lower than 0 (like that AMD guy ><) and having an option to not see those posts.

Exactly. I just repped you, for a good post. Of course, the rep system is used mainly for help, so I expect to see bobw going into 4 figures soon hehe...

Wonder how my rep got so high then, I am usually unfriendly, uncooperative, and unhelpful ... maybe it's the avatar! ;)

bigbadbill said:
Wonder how my rep got so high then, I am usually unfriendly, uncooperative, and unhelpful ... maybe it's the avatar! ;)

Yup. It's the avatar. No other possible expalanation.

bigbadbill said:

I think your avatar is hypnotizing people to rate your posts high, and that you are a manipulator taken straight out of The Usual Suspects! ;)

Yes, it would be helpful to know why your rep power is what it is - assuming that people actually want to improve their rep power, shouldn't they be able to know _why_ their reputation is what it is?

Rep power, as I understand it, is also based upon your post count and join date. The more posts you have, and the longer you've been here, the higher the rep count (in addition to people "voting" for your posts).

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Rep power, as I understand it, is also based upon your post count and join date. The more posts you have, and the longer you've been here, the higher the rep count (in addition to people "voting" for your posts).
Yeah, I'd also agree that we should see some visibility about why our rep count is what it is. I was part of another forum at one time where they tried to enable a reputation gage, but when somebody voted a positive vote, it turned into a negative vote for some reason. It caused great consternation at the time.

BTW, I believe the "puffy little icon" that one uses to vote is supposed to be a scale. I'm sure that is incredibly valuable information to all, so I would appreciate it if everybody who reads this post could add to my rep count, please... ;) :D

On slashdot, they call people who do that 'karma whores'. Knowing what I do about karma, I'll just let it rise and fall organically. If I ever get kicked off this forum, I don't want to come back as an ant.

Edit: Oh, Good Gravy! Why do I have two green blocks!?! Man, I'm coming back as a dung beetle!

Back