Rhapsody on Virtual PC

StarScream

Decepticon
Hello ,

I have downloaded Rhapsody for intel and i want to install it on virtual pc 5
is this possible ? If its Posible can someone tell me how to istall it please..

iam verry exited to see how Rhapsody works... :)

Thanx alot....

Apple says you need a VESA 2.0 compliant graphics card.

Many OS emulators are not VESA 2.0 compliant. Check with your documentation and see if VPC5 is.

I ordered the upgrade to VPC5 and didn't get the documentation.

Let us know what you find out.

----

Even if VPC5 is VESA 2.0 compliant it still may not work...

First and for most, if you only have the image of the CD, you'll still need to get the images of the boot floppies which you can find here:

http://www.peanuts.org/peanuts/MacOSX/system/boot/

The installation is not too hard (specially if you have done the NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP installation before). You'll need to select a couple drivers first, then that lets the CD installer run. Once installed, the set-up assistant is very much like the one for Mac OS X Server (and not that different from the standard Mac OS). If you run into any problems, just post a question and I'll either talk you through it or post a screen shot of how things should look.

I currently have two systems running Rhapsody (a ThinkPad and a dual Pentium system) and have it as a VPC environment. There are a number of apps that make it more like Mac OS X Server 1.0 which I'll post links to later.

Ooh! ooh! Rhapsody for PC! I want, I want, I want!

Wait.... it's not for the general public huh? Where the heck can I find it? Is this going to be another one of those Carracho hunts?

Originally posted by hugheba
Apple says you need a VESA 2.0 compliant graphics card.

Where did you see that? I don't seem to remember seeing that in any of the documentation that I have from Apple on Rhapsody (or from NeXT on OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP for that matter, seeing as most of the drivers were only slightly modified for Rhapsody for Intel).

Rapsody was a project to bring the Macintosh operating system - no - a new Macintosh operating system to both Macs and PCs. IIRC, it was called the "Star Trek" project...to go where no PC has gone before, bla bla.

It could have been the future OS of Apple, but they decided to drop it/change the project to MacOS X.

It is based on the neXtstep operating system from the neXt workstations, a daughter company of Apple IIRC...or was a company in which Steve Jobs is CEO or something? I don't remember.

Rhapsody can be called Mac OS X 0.9 or something like that. Steve Jobs founded NeXT when he was fired from Apple (yes I know he's back). It's a direct evolution:

- NeXT-STEP
- OpenStep
- Rhapsody
- Mac OS X Server 1.0
- Mac OS X 10.0
- Mac OS X 10.1 etc.

OpenStep was X86 (Intel) based, so it was kinda clear that Rhapsody was going to be both Intel and PowerPC based, but the Intel version was ditched because of political/financial reasons. Apple sells PowerPCs and would lose hardware market share (bla bla old discussion).

The Star Trek project was about bringing System 7 to the Intel platform and has nothing to do directly with Rhapsody, although some referred to Rhapsody as 'Star Trek - The NeXT Generation' which of course was a very good pun, too.

The last build of Rhapsody for PC Compatibles that left Apple to the developer company was 'Rhapsody DR 2 for PC Compatibles', which is of course outdated in supporting current PC hardware, which makes it a *bit* complicated to run it on new hardware. For example the installer can somehow do nothing about my RAM (which is normal SD-RAM, nothing really funny, or the message could have nothing to do with the RAM actually but something completely different), which is a pity, because I'd like to have it on my PC. So I'm running Linux with GNUstep now.

Hello ,

Iam still downloading it but i know what iam downloading it is Rhapsody DR2
x86 ...

If iam finisht with this i give you the adress of the server .. by the way they have Copland, Openstep, nextstep, Beos, Lisa OS.. etc :) verry cool !

Hehe. Yes please! Address!

Copland?!? How can they have copland? It was practically vaporware! The only thing that actually made it out was a not so-hot version called Mac OS 8....

And lisa?!? Holy crap! Wasn't the trash called the "Wastebasket" back then? How the hell could you run that now, without an actual Lisa?

I;ve got copland, 2 builds of it. It wasnt really vaporware. Just very instable :p lol.

So starscream, is this a caraccho server ? I had found one such serves a year or so ago :)

Not that fryke's lineage is wrong, but here is a far more detailed break down of the evolution of Rhapsody:

OS Version_______OS Name__________OS Code Name
0.8___________NeXTstep 0.8  
1.0___________NeXTstep 1.0  
2.0___________NeXTSTEP 2.0  
2.1___________NeXTSTEP 2.1  
2.2___________NeXTSTEP 2.1  
3.0___________NEXTSTEP 3.0  
3.1___________NEXTSTEP 3.1  
3.2___________NEXTSTEP 3.2  
3.3___________NEXTSTEP 3.3  
4.0________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.0  
4.1________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.1  
4.2________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.2  
5.0______Rhapsody Developer Release  
5.1_____Rhapsody Developer Release 2____Titan1U
5.2___________Rhapsody 1.0  
5.3________Mac OS X Server 1.0 ________Hera1O9
5.4_______Mac OS X Server 1.0.1________Hera1O9
5.5_______Mac OS X Server 1.0.2_Hera1O9+Loki2G1
5.6________Mac OS X Server 1.2________Pele1Q10

With Mac OS X Developers Preview 1, Apple started a completely different version line that is not related to the line ending with Rhapsody 5.6 (aka Mac OS X Server 1.2).

Originally posted by adambyte
And lisa?!? Holy crap! Wasn't the trash called the "Wastebasket" back then? How the hell could you run that now, without an actual Lisa?

There is a partially working Lisa emulator that is part of MESS that doesn't get past the "select boot device" screen. Either than that there is no Lisa emulator yet.

Mac OS X Server 1.2 is actually Rhapsody?!

I thought it was like OS X... with Aqua!

You people have confused me!

I want that server link when you get it done... this would be hella cool... i can finally run a "mac" on my dell!

Yeah, Apple thought the name change would help sell it. The Aqua version of Mac OS X Server is 10.0/10.1 which is based on Mac OS X. Knowing what the actual names of these operating systems are makes it easier to see how many people are using them over at SETI (because they aren't listed as Mac OS X Server, they are always listed as Rhapsody 5.x ).

If you can live without Blue Box (early version of Classic) and only about half as many apps as there are for the PPC version, Rhapsody for Intel is great. I have 4 GB of apps and docs on my ThinkPad that is running Rhapsody 5.1, and it goes with me everywhere. I can watch Quicktime movies (if I convert them to something Quicktime 3 can play), play games (mainly Doom and Doom II, Omni didn't make an Intel version of Quake II for Rhapsody :( ), basically most of the things I need from a laptop, and I have gotten to know quite allot about Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server 1.x at the same time (like where to find fonts and how to add them).

Very fun system to get to know, and use. And I've never had it crash on me with real hardware (the desktop one has been up for some 100+ days (which makes it about 4 times I've gone that long without restarting... or having a power failure).

As for running it on your Dell, just check the link I post earlier to make sure that everything would work.

Attachments

• uptime.jpg
    uptime.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 82
Back