Rhapsody on Virtual PC

Go Amiga...!

Anyway Starscream I will visit your carracho server tonight as I too would like to have Rhapsody.
I can up BEos for you if you want.

Guys can you list what can be done with Rhapsody and what appz are accesible for it?!

Hey Guys Iam still Downloading it..

But in six Hours iam ready then i will give you the adress...

RacerX thanx for the information about the evolution of MacOSX :D
its verry intresting..

Once ia have the image ( its 250 mb ) i will share the expirence
RacerX can i boot with the disk image 1.5 mb ? in VPC 5..

Thanx. :D

RacerX when i try to load the Bootdisk and the instalation disk with the drivers in VPC he asks for a SCSI CD rom ?

But VPC is only IDE how can i install it ? Please help

Some of the major ones that I use or that can be used to make it a very functional workstation.

AppleMenuOptions.app : This was developed after RDR2 was released and was included in Mac OS X Server 1.x. It lets you configure the Apple menu in almost any way you like (mine is very much like my Mac OS 9 Apple menu actually).

Calculator.app : Doesn't come with the OS, but you can find it at either Peanuts or Peak, and use ProjectBuilder to compile it. It is not that different from the Calculator of the Mac OS.

Create 5 and the Stone Design Suite : Andrew Stones collection of apps that do a ton of cool things (you can read more about them at stone.com).

Fiend.app : Apple dropped the dock after RDR1, so Fiend jumped in and gave it back, works very much like the old NeXT dock, specially if you set the Workspace Manager's preferences so that minimumizing windows sends them to icon at the botton of the desktop.

Mesa3.app : Nice speadsheet program (if you need a spreadsheet app)

OmniPDF.app : This is a very beta version that was not stable for me (it would crash almost anytime I opened a pdf doc).

OmniWeb.app : Full version of OmniWeb 3 (thanks Omni for making one for Rhapsody for Intel) that works great.

PDFView.app : This is how I actually view all my pdf docs in Rhapsody, it can read anything that Acrobat Reader 3.0 can read.

TextEdit.app : This is the app that most Mac user dismiss as just SimpleText for Mac OS X when it is actually a feature rich word processor (that allows you to add images and spell check).

MailViewer.app : Basicly the same as Mail.app from NeXT, and function like Mail in Mac OS X

TIFFant3.app : Image Editor, almost in the same league as Photoshop, but takes some time to get use to (see caffine software's web site for more about itls set of features).

WriteUp.app : This is as complete a word processor as any I've ever seen, same league as Word and WordPerfect.

PasteUp.app : About on par with PageMaker 5.0, but still a very feature rich page layout program.

Stickies.app : You guessed it.

TinyInstaller.app : Rhapsody does not come with an installer app (Apple dropped the NeXt version and wouldn't replace it until the release of Mac OS X Server 1.0), so you have to use the command line installer.sh which can be a pain. This little app adds a GUI to that command.

Chess.app : Same as both the Mac OS X and NeXT versions (how could they improve on perfection).

QuickTimePlayer.app : Nice QuickTime 3 application, if you have the full version on some other system you can convert even the latest Star Wars trailers so you can watch them in Rhapsody.

RhapsoDoom.app : If you have the full version of Doom or Doom II, you can get them up and running in Rhapsody (this is a beta version, and not totally stable, but still playable).

Hextris.app : Tetris type app, fun to kill time with.

Risk.app : Beta version of the game Risk.

Solitaire.app : Scott Anguish's version of the greatest time killer of all time.

Balling.app : Another great time killing game.

I think that covers most of the stuff that I use that I consider of mildly important. They range from freeware to semi-expensive (TIFFany is about $500, WriteUp in in the $300 range, and Create was about $200 that last time I checked). All and all, these apps make Rhapsody a very livable computing environment.

I currently have a collection of some 300+ fonts, many of which can be found at http://www.peak.org/next/fonts/ , installing them has something of a trick to it (you have to use the terminal.app if that gives you any idea what is involed)

Places to go:

http://www.peanuts.org/

http://www.peak.org/apple/rhapsody/

http://www.stepwise.com/

hehe, RacerX are you a chessmaster ? :)
I havent played chess in ages :p usually its a summertime deal lol.

Admiral

Can someone tell me how difficult it is to install NeXTSTEP 3.3 Intel under VPC 5?

posted by the Admiral
hehe, RacerX are you a chessmaster ? :)

My ex-wife made me give up the chess club in college before I got rated (it was starting to interfer with my grades :( )

Yeah. Our club had one grand master and 3 masters, so I got beaten quite often... but it was great fun! :D

I get a error when i install Rhapsody see the image.

I think i have a bad disk image ?

Rhapsody%20install.jpg

You did use the EIDE and ATAPI Device Controller, right? Also, when creating the drive image, what type of OS did you say you where going to be running (strangely enough DOS or Windows 95/98 worked the best for me)? Also I made most of my images with either 3.0 or 4.0 (although Solaris 7 installed better in 5.0), though I can't image that it would make that much difference (and don't use the dynamic drive sizing, because it doesn't work with most other operating systems that don't actaully ship with VPC).

Hey, you've gotten farther than most people on their first try.

I love how Rhapsody's installer starts in black and white (Windows installer in color) but already boasts 640*480 resolution (Windows is at 320*200) and completes the installation in that mode until you really start the installed OS the first time. :)

Too bad it doesn't run on my PC. :/

I still get a error

this is my setup : Formatted as a windows 95 as FAT 16
memory : 32 mb
Partition : 1024 mb / partition 1 750

Still i get the not found FDISK_MENU 01
not found FDISK_MENU 02
not found FDISK_MENU 03

ready ( then i push 1 )

going ( he is installing ) then sudenly he gives the massage kernal Panic ?

kernalpanic.jpg

I dont know what it is Ithink ii have a bad Disk image

Hey if someone has or finds a workable Rhapsody DR2 image I think a lot of us would really appreciate it if you would upload it somewhere. Not trying to be annoying or anything but a lot of us have been searching hard in the past few years for it, and desire a really cool alternative to Windows.

Thank You

I have a disk image of Rhapsody DR 2 for Power Macintosh. I don't know if it works or not but the image mounts fine. Personally I'd like to get my hands on Rhapsody for Intel so I could use it with VPC.

That server sure isn't the fastest on the planet. I don't think I could wait 30 hours for Rhapsody! :D

oh, i've got a blasphemic question: is Rhapsody emulated via VPC actually faster than the host OS 'Mac OS X'? :)

Back