Rhapsody on Virtual PC

Yellow box was a compatibility layer for the x86 architecture much like classic is a compatibility layer for classic.

or was that red box ? :confused:

I knew there were 2 boxes

Red -
Yello -
Blue - MacOS compatibility

Yellow and Red have to do with windows and Openstep respectivelly...hmmm seems like I solved the mystery...

am I right racer ? :p -- you are the authority on this lol.

Admiral

Yeah, that is pretty much it. I would say that Yellow Box and OpenStep are very much like Java in that they are runtime environments (in fact the OpenStep runtime environment was developed by both Sun and NeXT at about the same time as Java).

NOTE: I know this is some what confusing, but there are a number of products that are called OpenStep. There is OPENSTEP for Mach which is an operating system for Intel, SPARC, PA-RISC, and 68040 systems. There is OpenStep Solaris which was a replacement for CDE on Solaris 2.4-2.6 systems. And lastly, there is OpenStep Enterprise which is a runtime environment for Windows and Solaris.

Congratulations JohnnyV! It looks great. It is actually a great learning platform because it still feels some much more like home than any other non-Classic OS. I learned allot about Apache on it and use the desktop installation as a test web server for every site I work on (so I can see what the site would look like on other systems on my network here at home before going live with them on the internet).

Hopefully we are going to see some more people with installations of Rhapsody, OPENSTEP or NEXTSTEP in the coming days.

I don't know, there is something to be said for owning the actual disks. And in the case of OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP, that is still very much possible. I, personally, want to have the actual disks for my collection.

There is a guy on ebay that has been selling NEXTSTEP 3.3 and OPENSTEP 4.2 (both with the Y2K patches from Apple) for a couple years now. And Rob Blessin of Black Hole, Inc. (at http://www.blackholeinc.com/ ) still sells not only the software but hardware as well. I don't mind people get this stuff off the internet, but considering that Bob makes a living at this and has done a ton to keep OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP alive, I would rather people support the few place that still provide solutions in this area.

Here is a couple from my collection.

Attachments

• disks.jpg
    disks.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 31
I also an OpenStep 4.2 VPC disk image that I got from some one:D Haven't had time to play with it much, but doesn't anyone know if there is a way to copy it to a real PC Harddrive? I hope to soon get a PC for running Rhapsody and Linux, but I would like to put openstep on it too.:cool:

Originally posted by JohnnyV
I also an OpenStep 4.2 VPC disk image that I got from some one:D Haven't had time to play with it much, but doesn't anyone know if there is a way to copy it to a real PC Harddrive? I hope to soon get a PC for running Rhapsody and Linux, but I would like to put openstep on it too.:cool:
Could you maybe give it to me??:D

Hey JohnnyV I would really appreciate a copy too or a direction as to where I could find it, I have been trying to find it everywhere. I have looked on Carracho, Hotline, and all over the internet.

RacerX, I would agree that its really nice to have an orriginal disc, but dont you think its kind of rediculous to pay 300 dollars for software that is over 5 years old and will not be recieving any updates. I understand that it is a collectable, but for those of us who just want the software I think it should be provided more widespred for free. I do understand where your coming from however.

I once gave my VPC OpenStep image to some company that had problems installing their OpenStep on VPC :p It was right before a macworld and they seemed on edge that they couldn't demo some stuff... I am not sure if I believe them but I gave it to them :p lol. Even on a T1 connection (both sides being T1) it still took several hours to upload it to their FTP. and it was zipped too :eek:

Originally posted by theCaptain
RacerX, I would agree that its really nice to have an orriginal disc, but dont you think its kind of rediculous to pay 300 dollars for software that is over 5 years old and will not be recieving any updates. I understand that it is a collectable, but for those of us who just want the software I think it should be provided more widespred for free. I do understand where your coming from however.

I don't know, $300 is not an unfair price considering that the software is still considered an enterprise solution (for those who don't want to pay Apple thousands of dollars for basically the same thing), and that the User CD was originally $799 and the Developers CD was $4999. I think it sounds like a deal, but I went with ebay and paid about $120 for OPENSTEP 4.2 User/Dev, $75 for OPENSTEP 4.1 User/Dev, and $100 for NEXTSTEP 3.3 User/Dev. And about $150 for all three Rhapsody DR2 CDs (PPC, Intel, and Yellow Box) on ebay. If it is important enough to someone (like it was to me) then you can always find a way.

It was very important to me, and this can be seen in the fact that I have collected a large amount of software for all versions of this OS leading up to and including Rhapsody just so that these would be complete working environments for me. In the field I carry no other computer with me other than my Rhapsody ThinkPad which has no other operating system on it other than Rhapsody. It has to have all the information I need when I need it for anything I am working on, and it has to be my only source of entertainment when I have to sit and watch installations and file transfers for hours on site. I spend as much time in Rhapsody on a daily basis as most people spend on their computers each day.

So no I don't mind people getting it for free (specially if they have no real need for it), but when they start to complain when they can't get something for free or what they get for free doesn't work right... that is a little on the strange side if you ask me. If I downloaded Photoshop off the internet, I don't think I would have any right to complain to Adobe if it is not working all that great or I don't get any support from Adobe. Apple was providing support for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP through their Enterprise site ( http://www.apple.com/enterprise/ ) up until about a year or so ago (because Apple continued to sell OPENSTEP for a few years after they had acquired NeXT). I would also love if Appleshare IP 6.0 (which doesn't work on anything past Mac OS 8.1 and was still being sold at the say time as Apple was selling OPENSTEP 4.2) was free, it makes a great server and would be perfect for many of my clients... but some how I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. For me, I have gotten may times my moneys worth out of NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Rhapsody, so I didn't mind paying what I paid (and would do it again if I had to do over).

I am always happy to see people have fun in an environment which I have come to call home, and I am happy to try and help with any problems they may have, but seeing as this is not yet a dead platform (and thanks to Apple, may not be for quite some time), if you plan on more than visiting, consider acquiring the actual media. I know most of you are not going to take the time to find out how to do some of the small (but important) things like installing fonts or adding icons to folders or installing apps that require an installer, and so this is not going to be anything more than a toy to you. I have worked with web developers who made Mac OS X Server 1.x their work environment and they required help from someone who also lived in that environment to help them when they had problems. And many people are still using Mac OS X Server 1.x as their primary server which is hardly more than Rhapsody DR2 with a few GUI Server apps added on. That OS only stopped shipping within the last year, and is still being supported by Apple. Considering that these people paid $499 for an operating system that you guys are getting for free (and I got for about $150), I don't see where we can complain that much. You have to remember that from the release of Rhapsody DR2 in 1998 to when Apple stopped shipping Mac OS X Server 1.2 in 2001 very little about that operating system changed. More importantly, many of the solutions that applied to OPENSTEP still applied to Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server 1.x. Given that, I don't think I could personally support the widespred for free idea... except maybe for the BeOS. :D

Originally posted by JohnnyV
I hope to soon get a PC for running Rhapsody and Linux, but I would like to put openstep on it too. :cool:

Actually, I think I rember Apple saying something about the fact that you couldn't have both Rhapsody and OPENSTEP on the same system (something about file systems conflicting as I recall). You could do a swap of different drives with different operating systems on them.

What can I say RacerX, you have enlightened me about this operating sytem. All of your points are valid and you are clearly an expert. What you say makes a lot of sense, and I think I agree with you now. Thank you for clarifying things Racer. :cool:

speaking of Be....I would love it if palm spared the engineers to make upgrades to it...I dont want it to diiiiiieeeeee!

At the bottom of my screen it says Completed Copying Files, nothing is happening. What do I do now?

Thank You for your assistance:)

On mine it just says "Copying of Files Completed" with nothing under that. The system just appears to be stalled. Im afraid if I take out the Cd, the installation will not finish.
Any suggestions?

I would try re-starting with the CD in, but the floppy out to see if the drive is now bootable. If it is, the second half of the installation should start up. Other wise you may need to start over (but I believe the Copying of Files Completed is the important part though).

I tried to restart with just the Cd in but it says, "Boot: Cannot find $LBL" and just keeps saying that. This is the second time I have tried to install. :(

Okay, that is now a little beyond what I've seen before. Let me do some checking in some of the Rhapsody mailing lists I have to see if this has happen to others and maybe how to get around it.

Back