Rhapsody on Virtual PC

Here is an OS that actually makes me consider leaving Rhapsody and going back to it! There is tons of software out there for OPENSTEP 4.2, and most of it is completely free now! A good example would be the Lighthouse productivity suite of apps (see: ftp://next-ftp.peak.org/pub/next/apps/LighthouseDesign/index.html ) which has most anything a person could want. There are drivers for modems, scanners, etc., and Omni did continue making OmniWeb all the way up to version 3.0 for it. It really is a great environment for computing! Steve Jobs was still using it until the first release of Rhapsody (Jobs had a ThinkPad, that is why they continued to include ThinkPad drivers in both Rhapsody 5.0 and 5.1, and on a side note to that, you can run Rhapsody 5.1 on a PowerBook 3400 and 2400, and maybe the first PowerBook G3 also).

Thanx RacerX for the Link :)

Look here are the Screenshots of NeXt/openSteP 4.2

there are many features that are alike of Mac OS X even the spinning ball !!

VPC5.1.jpg

VPC5.2.jpg

Oh.. actually I just replace key systems icons with ones I made (Like the Mac face which I replaced the NeXT logo with) and added a shareware app called Friend which let me put things on the desktop and add a background image. the number of things you can do to OPENSTEP seems endless. That was what my desktop looked like back around the time of Mac OS X Developers Preview 3. (I couldn't install Rhapsody because you have to have both the floppy and the CD in at the same time, in NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP you could remove the floppy drive and replace it with the CD-ROM drive in the middle of the installation).

I would love to use Openstep or NeXTStep on my pc as my search for Rhapsody DR 2 for the PC has failed. The problem is I can not find them anywhere. Would anyone be willing to put them on a carracho/hotline server or an FTP site, where those of us who are interested, can download them. I see it this way, the more computers we convert to a BSD based operating system, the more market share we have taken away from Microsoft and handed to Apple indirectly.

Thank You

I've had rhapsody for awhile, but cannot get it to install. Here is what happends (all on VPC 5):

1.) I boot from the floppy image, continue, install the drivers (yes, even the ones mentioned).

2.) Started to boot, and it says it cannot find the CD, here is a screen shot:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnnyvf/picdown.jpg

3.) So then I type something along the lines of tr0d, tr1d, en0d, etc. and get this:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnnyvf/picup.jpg

Any help? I think my image might be bad (yes, it is mounted in VPC, I'm not completely stupid):p

Two things you need to check. Go into the settings for the PC and click on CD/DVD. Make sure "Standard IDE configuration" is unchecked. Second while installing Rhapsody you will be presented with a a list of options to choose drivers. Choose "Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller". The CD should work now.

Well, everything was going fine. Then it decided it needed to prepare the disk for Rhapsody, everything ground to a halt!
I'm stuck here:
forever!

I let it sit like that for about 45 minutes, and still that. I think it might be something to do with virtual pc :)confused: ) and the disk. Someone mentioned something about the dynamic scaling or whatnot, I looked around and didn't see any options about it in VPC, but I don't use it that much so it might have been overlooked.
I also tried messing with partitions, sizes, and complete erase, but all was a no go

Once again, Any Help?

Thanks Everyone, Don't know what I would do without you:D

First lets make a new image, you won't need more than 1 or 2 GB (it can be Windows 95/98), this is what the create image part of the setup looks like.

ok can someone please clarify a thing for me:)

1.Is DR2 a ppc/intel version or are there 2 separate disks?

Finally I can play my favourite NeXT App on my iBook....

Attachments

• open2.jpg
    open2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 49
Does anyone know what the req's are for Rhapsody for a PC. What speed processor / ram do you need to run it. I have a whole bunch of shitty pc's and i was wondering if i could run Rhapsody on em.

a completely different story:

anybody managed to install Mandrake Linux 8.1 on VirtualPC? I always get a "unable to find HDList" in the installer. I wanted to testdrive this Linux. I tested SuSE and Redhat, and Redhat clearly rules, but I red some interesting things about the Mandrake distribution but I can't find an old PC for it at the moment....

I'm sure Apple would want you to use the fastest system you could (they recommend a Pentium 200 as a low end), but as long as you have the hardware that matches the drivers on the configuration list, I'd say anything with a Pentium 133 and 32 MB of RAM should work (I have been able to watch Quicktime movies and play Doom with no problems at that speed, but more RAM helps).

For Rhapsody for PPC, 604/604e at 132 or higher, 32 MB (64 MB if you plan on using Blue Box allot) of RAM. A stock 8600 would be a good system to play with. Also it was designed to run on PowerBooks (3400 and 2400), but you just can't use Blue Box in those cases, (also 800 x 600 is a little small for Rhapsody, my ThinkPad displays 1024 x 768 and it feels like Mac OS 9 at 800 x 600).

Also, if you can find the complete set of CDs (Rhapsody DR2 for PC, Rhapsody DR2 for PPC, and Yellow Box), you can run Yellow Box in Windows 95 or NT 4.0, which isn't that bad... for Windows that is.

Attachments

• yellow_box.jpg
    yellow_box.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
Back