Rhapsody on Virtual PC

btw... how would i install it in VPC without a floppy disk drive? has anyone got images i can mount in vpc? or know how i can make them from the original floppy disks on my pc box in either linux or windows xp?

RacerX has posted a Link on the first page for the images

Bythe way i managed to understand the FDISK_Menu

It means the Formats of drives ( FAT32, FAT16, Linux, NEXT, etc)
i understand it now and he installs now..

I post some Pictures tomorrow

Rhapsody Installer
lockmgr: locking against myself

Okay, that is a new one to me. :confused:

It looks like you can just mount the floppy images from the link I gave early without making actual physical floppies (I did the same thing when installing Solaris and in VPC 5). It is starting to look like the CD image is being more of a problem. Unless... in VPC5, both Solaris and Rhapsody crashed while doing something as simple as opening a browser. This never happened in VPC4 (though Solaris wasn't as fast as it seems in VPC5), it may be a bug in VPC5 (just a thought).

its not working.

I use VPC 4 + the update VPC 5.1 but its not working. Iam going to burn the disk image of Raphsody and then i can intall it in VPC 4 maybe i have more luck.

Bytheway what kind of old PC can you install it on ? a friend of mine is intrested.

Iam now downloading NeXt (OS4.2) i hape i have more luck with it :D

I just download a Rhapsody DR 2 image and I was wondering how big the image is supposed to be. The one I have is 55.2mb. Also RacerX, do you think you could tell me how I could go about intalling this system on my PC. I have checked Apple's site for the configurations. I have both a 1.8 Ghz Amd machine and 400mhz Pentium II machine, which one should I install it on, and how do I go about intalling it, both machines currently have Windows XP on the drives. God why cant everything be as simple as a Mac.

Thank you RacerX, I really appreciate it!:D

the real image should be something along the line of a FULL CD IMAGE! :) sorry, but the 55 meg drive must be wrong, the whole system fills about a gigabyte on the installed drive.

Actaully the image was in a .sit file. It is now around 140 mb and the image mounts fine and everything appears to be valid. However their is one problem. I assumed the that DR 2 was only an X86 build of Rhapsody, however this build although labled DR 2 is for the Power Mac.

Can someone explain to me how to deal with the FDISK_Menu problem that comes up. I typed in 1 and when it responded ready I typed in 1 again. Then it says "Going" for a while. After about 5 minutes I get a kernal panic.

I am sure between everyone here we can get this working.

The actual CD is 411 MB, but I have no idea what a compressed image would pair down to.

As for which system... the 400 MHz sounds great. It has to be much faster than my ThinkPad which is at 133 MHz. I can play Quicktime movies and Doom with out any problems (the only two apps where speed is actually a factor). The only problem with the Pentium II 400 is a possible problem with the keyboard settings (I'll go back through my documentation to see what the work around was), and may have only been a factor in the first generation of that processor. On my systems I went through and matched up cards with drivers I knew I had (like the display driver for the ThinkPad 760ED, which was why I have that model).

Also I'll go through and make screen shots of each set in the installation (I did this once for NEXTSTEP, but didn't for Rhapsody because I never thought that many people would be interested in it).

Attachments

• rhap-cd.jpg
    rhap-cd.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 41
Yes Thanx RacerX :D

Ive got exactly the same fault i get also kernal panic after 5 min.. ???

the deal with FDISK_MENU it means the formats , DOS small 16 FATT, 32 Fatt.ect... if you get this :

FDISK_MENU 01
FDISK_MENU 02
FDISK_MENU 03
--------------------

if you type 1 it means ready to install
if you type 3 it means reformat the harddisk with partitions....

My disk image is 600 mb, ????

I went through and re-installed Rhapsody from my disk, and noticed that quite a few things were different from what has been described here by others using the disk image downloaded off the internet. What I found was that the image being downloaded is Rhapsody_Dev and the CD I own is RhapsodyDR2. I don't know how the installation floppy images for RDR2 are going to work with the RDR1 CD. I did remember that for Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP you must have the CD-ROM setting set as Alternative (vs the default which is Standard) in VPC and that you should select both the Adaptec154x Servies SCSI Adapter and the EIDE and ATAPI Device Controller (this was recommended by Apple for all EIDE systems even if they don't have SCSI) for all three.

I'll put together a complete set of shots of the installation from start to finish in the next day or so.

i Shall Try it again in a few days....

Bythe way !!! I have OpenStep 4.2 and the installation looks good !

Here is a picture .......... Its easyer then Rhapsody ithink ?
NeXtOpenStep.jpg

only its in black and white >???? Where are the drivers for the videocard ??

i Shall Try it again in a few days....

Bythe way !!! I have OpenStep 4.2 and the installation looks good !

Here is a picture .......... Its easyer then Rhapsody ithink ?
NeXtOpenStep.jpg

RacerX if can you upload it to me the missing disk then i will give you the adress for the carracho server
my hotline server is at adress : 213.10.110.21 login and pass is : racerx

thank you verry much

Few small problems with that... (1) I didn't have an image of the RDR1 floppies or even know where to find them, (2) I don't have an image of the RDR2 CD (only the actual one), and (3) even if I could make an image, I only have a 56k connection (which is actually more like 48k on a good day) so I would be up loading for days (if I could actually stay connected that long).

As for the ease of installation all three (Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP) are pretty much the same once you have everything. Here is a shot of the Rhapsody installation at about where your OPENSTEP installation is above.

Originally posted by StarScream

Here is my configuration for OPENSTEP 4.2 (the instal is always in B&W).

Back