Router to link three macs

stilbite

Registered
I am looking to link three macs G5, G4, and a G3 via a Broadband Router. I am currently with NTL and intend to buy a Airport card for both my G4 Flat Panel + G3 Indigo (of which I also need a converter card). I have those in hand but which Router should I choose and what's the difference.
Thanks,
Jimbo

The only problem with Linksys is that it doesn't support AppleTalk. I have a Linksys WRT54G that I use for my network and I wasn't able to find any printers using AppleTalk (used to work when I only had a hub and a PC was routing my network to the Internet).

If AppleTalk is important to you, make sure you search for one that does support AppleTalk. Netgear I believe does, as I've heard them recommended on this forum.

I have a D-Link (dumped the Linksys because of it's poor support for Apple applications) and haven't look back. The interface is better too. Also you have to wonder why Linksys has so many firmware updates (as many as Windows). In my job I have also learned hackers/script kiddies are targeting Linksys routers all the time.

Yeah, i really dislike the linksys i've ended up with, and much preferred the earlier (non-wireless) netgear. The Linksys interface is appalling, and i have to reboot it daily.

MisterMe said:
My Linksys works fine with AppleTalk.
Are you sure it's true AppleTalk, and not just the AFP protocol in Mac OS X? As far as I know, they're different...

Usually only Classic Macs (Mac OS 7/8/9) used AppleTalk, whereas Mac OS X uses AFP ("AppleTalk Filing Protocol" -- a different but similarly-named beast).

Back