Safari 4.1.3 problem with HTTPS

Curiosity

Registered
I am unable to get Safari 4.1.3 to access HTTPS pages. I cannot do any secure web access at all. What would cause that? I am stuck with using Mac OS Tiger on my old laptop, so the latest version of Safari available to me is 4.1.3.
How do you tell what encryption protocols are being used by Safari? I could not find any reference to that in the menus or the preferences.

Do you have the same experience with other web browsers?
The current Camino 2.1
or
FireFox 3.6
would be a good test.
Both of those would work with your Tiger system.

I have Firefox and Opera on the same computer. Both can access secure pages. So what should I do about Safari? I cannot even see what encryption protocols Safari is using, if any.

I have Firefox and Opera on the same computer. Both can access secure pages. So what should I do about Safari? I cannot even see what encryption protocols Safari is using, if any.

[beep] safari if you have opera and firefox use those theres no point in having to even use safari if you have another browser that does what you want

Last edited by a moderator:
Undo what you did to create the problem.

I have no idea what I did to create the problem. The latest thing I did was to remove one bookmark and add two more. That would not cause a problem with accessing secure pages. I usually use my other, newer computer for browsing, but I like to keep things working on any computer I have.

I just tried the Omniweb browser which also uses Webkit as a rendering engine. It could not do secure pages either. The problem must be with Webkit.

I reinstalled Safari 4.1.3. The problem seems to be fixed!

Last edited:
i had nothing but problems with Safari when i ran Tiger for a few days as i was waiting for Leopard to download. I just used Firefox since TenFourFox dont work on anything but Leopard

Safari in Leopard is significantly different (and improved) over what you may have experienced with the Safari on Tiger.

How do you come up with your opinions, anyway?
It REALLY would help if you would search out some of this stuff for yourself - perhaps that would also allow you to have more accurate ideas about your computer
Your are misinformed about TenFourFox. Look at the name - it's designed from the beginning to continue to work, and is specifically tuned for Tiger, and is compatible with Leopard.
Read the page - http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

[beeeep] safari if you have opera and firefox use those theres no point in having to even use safari if you have another browser that does what you want
your language in this post reminds me of why I stopped following the Linux newgroups.

TenFourFox says that 10.4.11 is required, so maybe you were not fully updated to that.
Or, there's 4 different 10.0.2 versions, for different Mac processors - so maybe certain combinations won't work correctly on the wrong processor.
But, the system requirements are not mine, nor the Mac, they are on Floodgap.com. Maybe you should ask your question at their support page? http://tenfourfox.tenderapp.com/

TenFourFox is for PPC Macs. It apparently will not work on Intel Macs. If you were using an Intel Mac, that could be the problem.

intel mac? yeah right i {bleep} hate Intel processors they run too damn hot. if i had a intel mac id be using chrome not firefox. If i wanted a Intel Mac id make a Hackentosh which would be running AMD i have done it but my AMD system dont have a OS X workable sound or wifi card

intel mac? yeah right i {bleep} hate Intel processors they run too damn hot. if i had a intel mac id be using chrome not firefox. If i wanted a Intel Mac id make a Hackentosh which would be running AMD i have done it but my AMD system dont have a OS X workable sound or wifi card

I guess you never used a G5 Mac.

You did not say that. Current Intel processors are not first generation Pentiums. The PowerPC 970 (aka PPC G5) is not the PowerPC 740/PowerPC 750 (aka PPC G3). The G3 ran very cool. However, G5 ran very hot. The coolest G5s required mated processor/air-cooling module units. The hottest, like my G5 at work, required mated processor/liquid-cooling module units. The reason that there was never a PowerBook G5 is that the G5 ran too hot. Assuming that a PowerBook G5 could have been built, you would literally have been able to fry eggs on it.

It is truly amazing to me how totally in the dark you are are about things that nearly everyone else knows. The major reason for the decision by Steve Jobs to switch from PowerPC to Intel was that Intel had solved its heat problems, but that IBM refused to even entertain the idea to deal with its own heat issues. After Apple announced its decision, IBM was like "Oh, you mean that heat." It begged Apple to reconsider. However, Steve once spoke does not speak again.

MacBook Air? This little fanless beauty is so thin that it fits inside an envelope. It would not be possible without a very cool processor. The processor is made by Intel. Intel also made the processor in my 2.93 GHz 2009 MacBook Pro. Like the MacBook Air, it has no fan. The aluminum structure of the Unibody laptop is sufficient to cool it.

The takeaway message here is that you are completely backwards and upside down on this issue. Once again, you embarrassed yourself.

i aint saying that intel wasnt a better option i know G5s ran hot im cimply saying on the lever of Windows computers AMD runs much cooler than Intel even to this day both deskops and laptops

Back