Safari Bookmarks

Dean M

Registered
Hi. How do I sort my Safari Bookmark Menus alphabetically.....So far I have just had to highlight the bookmark and move it with the arrow to a black line that shows up in the space where I want to put it. In Firefox, you can right click the context menu and choose 'sort by name'. I don't see that option in Safari. Probably a dumb question with a simple answer I've just overlooked, but it would save a lot of time.......Thanks. Dean M

I don't understand that "Sortosaurus" program... I downloaded it and all it seems to be is the Terminal which OSX has anyway. And Sortosaurus doesn't say what you're supposed to type in the terminal, etc.

???

I don't understand that "Sortosaurus" program... I downloaded it and all it seems to be is the Terminal which OSX has anyway. And Sortosaurus doesn't say what you're supposed to type in the terminal, etc.

???

True, it will launch Terminal but you're not meant to type anything, just watch the Terminal window and you'll see that Sortosaurus goes right ahead and sorts your bookmarks out in pretty much no time at all.

You'll see a few lines of text flash by and the the Process completed message will be displayed in Terminal.

Sortosaurus is a command line utility which is why the Terminal app launches.

If you have Safari open when you launch the utility, then you'll notice in the text grab below, that Sortosaurus informed me that it would quit then relaunch Safari before sorting the bookmarks.

Last login: Mon Jan 19 08:02:41 on console
/Users/xxxxxxxxxx/Documents/Downloads/Sortosaurus; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
xxxxx:~ xxxxxxxx$ /Users/xxxxxx/Documents/Downloads/Sortosaurus; exit
safari was running, so i'm quitting it temporarily
sorting bookmarks at /Users/xxxxxxxxx/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist ... done
logout
[Process completed]

Thanks VirtualTracy for the explanation! Duh! :confused:

True, when Terminal opened, it "went to town" in a hurry doing something, but since I didn't notice anything, I didn't have a clue. (oh, and I did think I was supposed to type in my password in Terminal first, which I did, so maybe it did something totally unrelated, lol. But I think I ran it a 2nd time w/o doing password).

What I DID see in the Terminal flashing-by-text was the dreaded .DS_Store phrase, and I thought, Uh Oh! I sure hope it doesn't make those dang miserable invisible files show up! (been there, done that!)

Anyway, I didn't notice if it ever said Completed or not... I thought it wasn't working correctly, so I trashed that program. :eek: I guess it really doesn't matter if my bookmarks are alphabetical or not, as I usually put them in the order I use them the most.

But thank you just the same!!

I was hoping, though, that that little program might just CLOSE all the folders in the process, lol:

• Safari 3.2.1 Menu >>
  • Bookmarks >>
  • Add Bookmark >>
  • Bookmarks Bar drop-down menu >>
( << In there is where I want to have all the nested folders inside my "Main" 25 folders all CLOSED, and it would be nice if they had arrows next to each of the Main Folders so I could "scan out" to choose the appropriate Subfolder to place the "New" bookmark).

If you know or come across any tips on that, it would be greatly appreciated. Usually I can find an answer to almost anything on the planet by simply googling, but I've batted zero the past few hours on this one!

Thanks again!

I have a gajillion bookmarks including a nested folders hierarchy but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve? Do you want to be able to add a new bookmark to a nested folder?

Whenever I fill up my Bookmarks Bar I then take time out to re-organise them into categories and sub-categories ... but I'm not sure if that's what you want here ...

Howdy Howdy, lol.

In my earlier exasperation I posted my same frustrations on a few Bookmarks threads, so I guess we should zero in on one... ;-)

Yes, I want to ADD bookmarks easily without having to scroll down through what-looks-like a thousand folders and subfolders. If all the subfolders were closed up inside of the 25 MAIN Folders that I have, that would be bearable to scroll down through 25 folders and then if there was an arrow next to each, I could slide sideways to the subfolder.

But as it is now (on my Mac), the list goes on and on and it takes forever to zoom in on which folder I am looking for.

I'm moving on to your next reply (I just got 3 reply/emails) and we'll take it up from there... ;-)

THANK you, btw!

Back