Safari download folder

jamike

Registered
Hey everybody,

the new Safari 3 creates a folder on my desktop and puts all the downloaded documents in it. The name of the folder month_day_year. I would like it to save my download directly on the desktop. Is there a way to do this? I have "Desktop" set up as the preferred location in the preferences of Safari.

Thank you for your help!

I can't reproduce your issue with the latest beta. Is this happening with all files, or just ones from a specific source? Try moving com.apple.safari.plist to the desktop, located in /users/<you>/library/preferences

I removed the plist file and restarted Safari. It is still placing all of my downloads into 2007-10-5 folder on my desktop.
Any ideas?

Do you have any "downloader" programs installed, like SpeedDownloader? Or perhaps any download manager plug-ins/programs installed?

nope, nothing like that. I have a couple plugins installed in safari, but they have nothing to do with downloading. stuff like ForgetMeNot, Inquisitor, SIA, Undo Close Tab, and TwiceTab. That's it.

update: recently I started getting Safari download some of the files directly to the desktop, but it doesn't seem to be based on file type. still around 90% of the files get saved in the Year_Month_Day folder.

Isn't that something that Saft does...
There is an updated Saft for the Safari 3 beta, maybe that can help your downloads be consistent to that download folder, instead of cluttering up your desktop.... :) (why would you choose to do that? - Yeah, I'm a neat-freak... )

i am a neat freak too and that's why i like having them on my desktop :) that way i always have to either categorize the downloaded file into whatever folder it belongs, or delete it or just do something with it :)

any ideas anybody, why safari is doing this? i really don't feel like uninstalling the whole thing and deleting the preferences, it takes forever to set it up the way i want it...

thaaaaaaaank you!

yes, i am sure. i even tried installing saft today and uninstalling it again to make sure there isn't some weirdly forgotten setting from some other time when i might have installed it, but it didn't change anything. you are right, i see the exact option of creating a download folder like that, but I don't have saft installed :-(

As you have discovered here - Safari does not create a named download folder by itself. You would have installed a plug-in, or other configuration software that directly affects Safari. Your task (should you choose to accept it :) ) will be to work as you do now, or try to discover what other software you have installed that would affect downloads (even indirectly), by eliminating each as a cause.

Just came across this forum searching for a solution to the very same problem.

In my case the culprit wasn't Saft it was Safari Stand. (another Safari customization app)

To turn it off in SafariStand open the SafariStand Settings under the Stand Menu (or cmd+option+comma)

In the general settings window untick "Tidy By Date for File Downloads"

Quit out of Safari. Go to your home folder > Library and locate the "Safari" folder. Right-click (control-click) and create an archive of the Safari folder (just as a backup). Then go into the Safari folder and throw all of the files away EXCEPT the Bookmarks.plist file. Restart Safari and try again.

If that doesn't do the trick for you, then you could also try throwing away the entire "Caches" folder in your home > Library. And remove the third-party plugins to Safari (just as a test, okay?).

Back