Safari Not Quiting Upon Restart Yosemite

nealt

Registered
When I chose restart the restart does not take place. A message states that Safari did not quit.I have to do a force quit to get the restart to take place. It appears the problem does not exist in guest user or in safe mode. I removed all User Launch Agents and User Login Items. The problem persists. I also fount out if I do a force quit on Safari then LibreOffice prevents a restart. Force quit applications indicates that these applications are not responding.Anyone have a fix for this? I posted this pn the Apple Forum but got no fix.

Sounds like either that you have a Safari plugin that is hanging or maybe a bad cache so make sure you clear the safari Cache once in while too.

Sounds like either that you have a Safari plugin that is hanging or maybe a bad cache so make sure you clear the safari Cache once in while too.
I cleared the cashes and removed the plugins. Still have problem. Note problem also occurs with LibreOffice.

I cleared the cashes and removed the plugins. Still have problem. Note problem also occurs with LibreOffice.

Sounds like you need to either boot into Recovery Mode and from thier run Disk Utility on your drive.

What extensions do you have installed in Safari? Go to Safari Preferences>Extensions and turn them all off.

Do you get a clear restart if you quit both Safari and LibreOffice first?

Have you tried a good clearing of your caches?
I will sometimes (every few months or so) just drag the user ~/Library/Caches folder to the trash, then restart. Empty the trash when the restart is complete.
That Caches folder will rebuild itself as you continue to use your Mac.
Alternatively, I also like to do a nice system and user cache cleaning with OnyX, which has been a useful go-to maintenance utility for years.
And, if there's still problems going on after a little system maintenance, and if you are bored with trying to dig out specific fixes, that's when I might grab my Yosemite installer thumb drive, boot to that, and reinstall Yosemite.
That will likely prune some more of your system. Leaves your apps, files and settings in place, if you are concerned about that. But in 30 minutes to an hour, will likely take care of various minor problems, other than those that might be caused by software incompatibilities.

Hi ..

A Safe Mode boot deletes some system caches that can help after an OS X upgrade.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then click the Apple  top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try Safari.

If that doesn't help, it could be a third party plug-in that's causing Safari to crash.

Follow the instructions here.

Try to force quit from Safari. In my opinion database files would be the reason which restricts Safari to quit normally. Remove the plugins through the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ path for a time period (save those plugins to another location and restore later). Got to ~/Library >Safari and drag the content of entire folder to another folder located on the Desktop. After it, put the files back one by one to that location with the same path.

If I quit Safari before selecting Safari some other App such as LibreOffice or Photoshop Elements 13 will cause the same problem. Also if I try to logout instead of restart I get the same problem. I have tried booting in safe mode and doing a clean install of Yosemite with no benefit.

Back