Safari only opens pages on the second try

thendis

Registered
Hello,

For some reason, often when I click on a link to a page in Safari, it comes up with a 'cannot find server' error. However, if i click on the same link again, it works, and will continue to work thereafter. It happens on most sites - especially those I haven't been to recently (or ever).

This has never happened before, and whilst not being a huge deal, it is very irritating.

any ideas appreciated

I'd suspect the DNS server. That happens quite a bit on my college campus, but never at home. Unfortunately, the DNS server issues are largely out of our control.

I've been having this same problem over the last 24 hours, and it's perpetuated into this morning. I read reports elsewhere of people not being able to connect to ANY http sites, and others report the same for https sites.

It seems random, but VERY frequent now. I'm wondering if this is a problem with OS X in some way or if my DSL line just being mean to me...

I have been having this happen to me over the last week or so....so annoying. I've switched to Camino, which isn't as feature packed as Safari, but renders pages a lot faster, and doesn't take multiple reloads to see a page.

I also had this problem on occasion In Safari 1.22 (v125.7) OSX 10.3.4 recently. With IWON.com pages would be blank. I solved the IWON problem by using Cocktail utility to clear various caches. In Cocktai under System/Cache/ I cleared System, User & Internet caches, Swap files, and Safari bookmark icons. The latter some have said gets corrupt sometimes causing problems. It did work with IWON and may have helped with other web page load failures as well. Give it a try.

Yeah i've always thought there was something fishy with Safari's cache, clearing it usually seemed to clear things up, but i rather prefer Camino over Safari now, anyway.

Yeah, I do not have Remote Desktop 1.2 or Remote desktop 2 installed, and I've got the same problem. I navigated to /Users/(me)/Library/Caches and deleted the entire Safari folder. No problems so far, but we'll have to see.

Not yesterday's, but I've been away for half a year and upon installing 10.3.5 and its attendant security updates Safari started screwing up as described above. Bollox!

Mine came out of nowhere. The only thing I can think of is that I installed iTunes 4.7 and then QuickTime 6.5.2, but I wouldn't think these to cause the Safari problem. Updates went completely normal.

Well you know the Keyboard Shortcuts in the Keyboard and Mouse preference pane? It used to have trouble remembering my Safari keystrokes, now it won't even work at all for some commands that it used to work for.

I have been having this issue for a while too, but it is not super frequent. I am running my own DNS machine, but it still happens even if i bypass my own DNS box. I was assuming that it was a DNS issue with my ISP.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this frustrating problem, it's been happening to me for the past week or so. I thought it had something to do with my Airport Express (anybody else using one?), but now I'm suspicious of one of the several updates I've done. What could it be?

Just to add a different view here: No problems as described. Using 'up to date' 10.3.5, 10.3.6 beta, 10.4 beta. So I guess it's rather a network fault than Safari's? Or some weird combination of DNS problems and Safari code... However: I think it's quite safe to say that it's not simply an update from Apple causing the problem, because on this side of the 'net, everything's fine...

I wouldn't rule out an Apple update as the culprit just yet. Many sites are reporting that the security update from late September may somehow contribute to this problem, but not immediately after installing it. Some sites seem to believe this is some sort of Safari caching problem, and noted that clearing caches solves the problem temporarily, but it comes sneaking back...

...which would explain why so many people are experiencing very similar symptoms over a wide range of time -- perhaps it has something to do with how quickly the cache is filled, or how much surfing has to be done before the problem appears. Mine appeared out of nowhere... no updates for 2 or 3 weeks, no newly installed problems, just out of the blue one day.

It does bug me, though, because I was one of the people in the beginning that wasn't experiencing the problem but read about people who were. I mentally chalked it up to, "Heh... he/she probably interrupted an optimizing process at the end of an installer or has a million haxies installed or has somehow gone digging TOO deep into the power of the Terminal at some point..." or something along those lines, but I'm wrong.

Doesn't really matter if it's Apple's fault or our own -- I'm just curious to know what the reason is, if someone manages to trace this problem to a specific thing. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

It's got MacFixIt stumped as well:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041029084540172

Just noticed another Safari snafu-- Mark Page for SnapBack is acting strange, pages don't snap back to the one marked but rather to a latter page. This only happened after updating to 10.3.5.

It has been happening to me, and other people on MacNN forums have experienced the same problem. Today it has happen to me only once.

I had the same problem, but now I empty the cache more frequently and those 'can't find blah blah' messages do not come up as frequent. :)

Back