Safari only opens pages on the second try

I'm suspecting it's not specifically Safari's fault. Why is that? Well, xchat (IRC client) will do the same thing. It'll fail to find the server, and cycle through the list until one of them works (usually after 2 or 3 attempts at most). So I'm pointing the blame at either the DNS server being used, or the DNS functionality of the TCP/IP libraries.

Beats me, but I definitely notice it in more than just Safari, and for some reason it only does it here on campus. Perhaps the other browsers are automatically retrying the DNS lookup or something.

On a hunch, and after reading Macfixit's take on the situation over the last few days, I made a mod to my system. A very simple one at that.

I had always left my network settings on the default DHCP setting for use with my DSL modem/router hookup. Of coure, the search domain and DNS servers were left empty, and everything always worked fine that way. I looked up my DNS servers from the DSL webpage and entered them, along with the default search domain as well. I haven't had a single problem since. It's been almost all day, I've installed no new software, and my system is as it was when this first started. Everything is working fine now.

The only thing I've noticed is that some pages seem to take a half second or second to display: almost like some sort of DNS bug demon is left over and my forces of manual DNS entries are fighting them off successfully, with a slight delay. It seems to happen on a similar interval that the "unable to connect" thing manifested itself, but I haven't had a single page refuse to load.

I'm expecting some sort of update soon from Apple concerning this... I'd almost put money on it (body parts, for those in the know?)... ;)

Hmm, very interesting... It works fine for me at home, and that location has the DNS server addresses specified manually (so it'll play nice with my router). But on campus, I have it defined automatically. I just now put in the specific server address, so we'll see what happens.

Well, it just happened again. After several hours of usage, some pages refuse to connect even on the second, third, fourth and fifth tries -- then eventually load.

I'm thinking it has something to do with some sort of cache then that's getting too full, overflowing, or not being written properly. Hmmm...

Hmm. I guess the only way to find out for sure would be to run Ethereal for a couple hours (NOT in promiscuous mode) with the filter "udp port domain". Maybe then we'll get some concrete clues. I'd do it now, but it's just about bed time. Heh.

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. It just happened for me recently. The only things that have changed are: installed all updates, and started using AirPort Express. I noticed someone earlier in this thread mentioned that too. Last night was the worst night of all. Even Mail had issues. When I first put the Express in a couple of weeks ago it ran wonderfully. I've played with that configuration, but nothing really helps. I usually keep cache cleared. I tried my fiancee's laptop last night too. I don't have it as up to date. I haven't installed all the updates there. My G4 is completely up to date. The AirPort Express DID work - now I'm having these issues with Safari and Mail (mostly Safari). There are several variables here - but I lean toward something being wrong with the wireless connection. Is anyone else experiencing this problem over AirPort? Or do all of the previous comments pertain to Ethernet connections?

Airport Extreme? Safari? Software updates? What's changed?

Postscript... My same G4 laptop connected to twisted pair at work runs flawlessly. Same Safari, updates, etc. Could it be an AirPort issue then? I also use RoadRunner.

I'm experiencing this little snafu using rr and a [D-Link] wireless connection. Again, problem arose upon installing all updates.

It ain't AirPort in my situation -- but I am using a wired D-Link router.

I might try a direct connection to my DSL modem tonight and see if that works. My D-Link router will not allow me to specify DNS servers using PPPoE for some odd reason, and entering them into the Network pane of System Preferences doesn't help. Perhaps the fact that my router doesn't allow me to enter DNS numbers makes my manually entered numbers in System Preferences moot or something.

I've read on Macfixit the last few days that some geniuses have found out that this is a flaw in the way BSD implements IPv6, and that it's choking on IPv6 headers returned from DNS servers, which, incidentally, most are BSD-based. Normally, if an IPv6 header is returned, it should be ignored or processed normally, depending on whether or not you're using IPv6 (which isn't fully implemented in Panther) -- instead, it's trying to process the IPv6 header as an IPv4 header, which, as anyone could guess, doesn't work right.

I posted earlier saying i had the problem too, but just wanted to add that i am using roadrunner also.

I tried disabling IPv6 in the Network System Preferences and it didn't help one bit. Others on Macfixit report the same results.

My neighbor who has Verizon DSL has been having the same problems on his Windoze machine using IE, and I've also had the same trouble a number of times with both Firefox and Netscape on my iMac. Also it is the same URLs that tend to screw up under any browser I use, so I'm guessing that the whole issue is IP related.

ive been having problems with this as well, im thinking it has something to do with the recent update, I don't recall any problems beforehand. it is occurring just about every other page i try to load. i am using firefox as well as safari, both with the same problems. interesting...

What kind of router is everyone using, I noticed a few people had D-Links, this was happening to me last weekend on my iBook using airport extreme over a D-Link router

I've had this problem off an on for the past few months and it's only gotten worse. I know it's not the internet connection, router or modem because it only happens on my Powerbook. I can surf troublefree on my Sony. I've gotten pretty used to keeping my right pinky on the enter key non stop just to get past the error.

I called Apple to get my buck's worth on my AppleCare and that was a joke. He had every rhyme and reason. First blaming my internet provider, then my router and finally after I kept shooting down his ideas he said that "Companies intentionally block clicking on links to their websites these days to cut down on bandwidth. They'd rather have you type in the website!"

I laughed and explained it only happens on the Powerbook and said that there were several threads about this problem and he said they never heard of it but would forward a note to the programmers.

Back