Safari or Firefox?

chgough

Registered
I am one of the band of 'switchers' that was attracted to a mac mini - and great it is too. It is the 1.42mhz machine with 1gb RAM. I became familiar with Safari but noticed it seemed pretty slow to use. I downloaded Firefox; which I use on my PC. Firefox assembles pages faster than Safari. Anyone else find this the case?

Will Safari RSS be faster?

Apple's continuously improving rendering speed of WebKit (i.e. Safari, Mail etc. displaying HTML). Safari RSS looks okay for me, but then so does Safari as of now. I would simply keep both applications and decide from _both_ a performance and usability point of view. For me, the handling of Safari and OmniWeb are worth a split-second of wait until a page is drawn.

Firefox has better rendering and stuff, it supports my bank's website much better then Safari. Safari crashes more often then Firefox does though.. but Firefox is more of a memory and CPU hog and doesn't run as well on slower machines.

Go with Firefox. My belief is that because Firefox is also compatible with Windows, there will be more market/website/companies that support and tailor to it. I'm not trying to start an argument here- thats just my viewpoint.

I use Safari most of the time but have Shiira as another option. I use FireFox on the XP box but wasn't that happy with it on Mac.
Shiira will pickup all Safari bookmarks and works well, not keen on the default icons but others are available.
Great to have choices. :)
http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/index-e.html

I like Safari much better than anything else. There's no major reason for that, but rather it's the little things that have won me over. Firefox doesn't have native OS X form elements, and although sheer browsing speed is pretty decent, the program itself seems a bit laggy. In my opinion, Camino is a much better alternative, if you want to go with Mozilla. Even Camino, however, is somewhat buggy, and neither Firefox or Camino have built-in spell checking or speech capabilities like Safari. I also prefer Safari's brushed metal interface to the look of other browsers, and the snapback feature for Google searching is useful. The little progress bar in the icon of downloading files is another little feature that makes Safari a joy to use. I've also tried OmniWeb 5.1 and Opera 8 Preview 1. OmniWeb is good, but it's a bit unstable and the extra features don't justify the price for me. Opera 8 is a huge improvement over the previous version, but the preview release is buggy. So, overall, Safari seems like a more robust option compared to everything else I've tried. Even if something else is slightly faster or does something a little bit better, Safari is dependible, native, and free.

Gotta totally agree, WinWord10 (besides OW, to which I have a license...). It seems that besides WebKit (Safari, OW, Shiira etc.) nobody seems to get the "good rendering" right on the Mac. All the mozilla variants seem to use QuickDraw, which makes them look ugly like AppleWorks (whereas WebKit would be like iWork). I use Firefox for some sites that don't work right in Safari yet, but over time, my FF use has become less and less.

I got turned off Safari with that rediculous stop/reload button. It doesn't seem to be multi-threaded so if I am in the middle of loading a huge page and I click stop in Safari it just waits until the page it loaded, then reloads it.

I use Firefox on all my computers, XP, Slackware, everything.

Firefox would have to be my favorite, although I have played around some with Camino and it does seem much nicer than Firefox on the Mac. Once I get my Mac mini, I will probably switch over to Camino for my OS X browsing.

It's too bad Camino doesnt really have any features though, I'd love to see some Firefox extensions ported and used in Camino, such as AdBlock. That'd be great :)

Jason said:
It's too bad Camino doesnt really have any features though, I'd love to see some Firefox extensions ported and used in Camino, such as AdBlock. That'd be great :)

Um Jason, you haven't been keeping up with Camino and it's nightly build. Also, Firefox is a poor Windows Java build featured browser while Camino is a Cocoa written browser that doesn't try to be an email client with the kitchen kitchen sink thrown in.

I spent one day using both browsers side by side and then wrote a multi-page review noting my observations and preferences. Because I'm an idiot, I somehow lost that review, but the end result was that Safari eaked out Firefox IMO.

I have pretty basic web browsing needs. I don't customize the browser, or add plug-ins or any of that stuff, so if that's your thing, I have no input.

The few things that Firefox lacked could easily be added if they wanted to. It's so very Safari-like, for obvious reasons.

All the sites I go to work in Safari, though some took a while to get reconfigured for Safari. I also like having as much Apple software as possible and avoid all non-Apple solutions for tools that Apple provides. I figure it'll just make for a more integrated experience overall as well as be more stable and easily maintainable. So far, so good.

In the end, it's just a browser. I mean, it's not like it's Photoshop or anything. Run em both, one will find its way to your heart. Wow, that sounded corny.

Satcomer said:
Um Jason, you haven't been keeping up with Camino and it's nightly build. Also, Firefox is a poor Windows Java build featured browser while Camino is a Cocoa written browser that doesn't try to be an email client with the kitchen kitchen sink thrown in.

Umm..you sure you're not confusing Firefox with the actual Mozilla 1.7.x suite? Firefox itself is just a browser. The Mozilla suite has the e-mail, chatzilla, html editor, and browser.

I love firefox it is much better than safari the only thing I use safari for is downloads it is a little better for that, and a couple of select websites.

Firefox hands down, though it does have some problems viewing pages with java and flash overlap (see http://www.geniusproducts.com for an example).

I love being able to selectively delete Histories, Caches, etc. Not to mention the fact that the browser is open source, and it also has customized themes so you can get away from the metallic theme every now and then. :)

Back