samba: mounting my XP disc on my mac and visa versa

I've used X's built-in client, Sharity, and SMBBrowse. The one I've had best success with is the built-in client. Sharity was dog-slow and often hung, and smbbrowse I just couldn't get to work.

I think I'm gonna wait for Jag-wire to do network browsing. . . . :)

So you say the web-browser setup for Samba works well? The only thing I've used is the Samba Server Config Tool, which crashed 90% of the time. It was horrible. :mad:

ghyde: I would suspect that changing the PC's name wouldn't help--as long as the name doesn't use weird characters or something. What is the name?

Originally posted by homer
So you say the web-browser setup for Samba works well? The only thing I've used is the Samba Server Config Tool, which crashed 90% of the time. It was horrible.

At my fraternity house I was the only Mac, everyone else was running XP or 2000. I set up Samba X so my fraternity brothers could access my shared files (mainly mp3s). And I used SMB Browse to access their shared files. SMB Browse worked great for me...have you tried the most recent version .92? I had only used it and the previous but the only problem I encountered was disks not dismounting when I dragged them to the trash. Other than that the programs worked great.

The setup for Samba X via the webbrowser took about 30 minutes to setup, but it has never crashed or anything and it worked great after I set it up...no problems.

If you have any questions about my experience with either of these just let me know.

Cool. I have a feeling it'll be a few months before I get around to really playing with it, but then I'll know who to ask for advice! :D

Yeah, it took me a few weeks off and on to figure out Samba X because I didn't know how to set it up. I actually gave up on it for a while then after I went back to it I quickly stumbled onto the web setup tool.

BTW, do you have Aol instnat mesenger or something of the sort?

No, I haven't gotten into the instant messaging thing. But maybe if I'm ripping my hair out trying to configure Samba I'll have to see about using iChat. :)

Originally posted by rharder
It figures MS would have to do something to break everyone else's software that tried to work with theirs.

-Rob

I believe this is a case of MS trying to break Samba. I have my ~/Documents folder shared via Samba and I mount XP's My Documents folder to it. I get all these errors that the Samba server is no longer available, when in actuality it is. It's just MS trying to make you think things are not working. All a load of crap.

I personally haven't had any problems sharing files with a PC either PC to Mac or Mac to PC.

Maybe it's just your network or something else?

Originally posted by dixonbm

have you tried the most recent version .92?

I just tried SMBBrowse 0.9.2, and it worked right away. The other version I tried just didn't work at all. Thanks for the tip!

I changed the computer name of my PC without damage to my connection. I go to Connect to Server and enter smb://<computer name>/<share> and Still get the generic no-can-do error message.
Now that we've eliminated Computer name as the possible culpret, what about my Linksys router??

See above posts, go and download SMB Browse like Homer did. It is much easier to use than apple's built in piece of junk.

I have a linksys router at home but have been unable to test it with a pc.

If it is the router, you could get a cheap hub to go between your router and computers and that could solve any potential problems the router might make.

I looked for SMBBrowse in versiontracker, mac os x apps and google. The latter returned a bunch of non-english pages. anybody have a url for SMBBrowse?

BTW, I've also found the Sharity web site manual next to useless. Can anyone offer tips I how I can get Sharity to do my LAN bidding?

Thanks.

Ok, I got SMBBrowse, however it is not clear what needs to be entered where. I keep being told that I need to select a server-share and enter a username and password. The latter two -Are- entered. But, for server-share, that entry does not appear to be editable (I click in the space but get no cursor and no text appears when I type.

That is EXACTLY the problem I had before with SMBBrowse, which appeared to be fixed when I got 0.9.2., and IIRC nothing in my configuration was different. When it works correctly, you should just be able to expand the list downward without entering anything. dixonbm, any ideas?

Originally posted by ghyde
Ok, I got SMBBrowse, however it is not clear what needs to be entered where. I keep being told that I need to select a server-share and enter a username and password. The latter two -Are- entered. But, for server-share, that entry does not appear to be editable (I click in the space but get no cursor and no text appears when I type.

What version are you using. 0.9.2 is the newest version the website for it is http://shukwit.com/main.php

Let me know if you are using the new one then we'll trouble shoot the problem again.

Ok, select the server share mans that once you have selected the computer to share with you must also select which share point (shared folder) from that computer that you want to share. If there are no folders shared by the PC then you must go into the settings on your PC and share the folder you want to share. I think you can do this by right clicking on the folder you want to share.

The only thing that needs to be typed in is the password, because it will automatically find all workgroups. If there is no password or particular username just enter a space into each of those fields.

Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't.

I've got the PC set up to share. I've tried entering my pc username in the username field, PC password in the password field, and share <pc> in the Domain/workgroup field (at a loss for any better place to put it, since I'm still unable to edit the bottom field), and I still get the same error message.

Under Domains/Workgroups found (which I managed to expand) there is nothing.

Do I need to fiddle with my linksys router settings? BTW, as a reminder, I -am- able to ping the PC.

One more thing: the error message I'm getting appears in a dialog box, -not- in the SMB Browser error message field.

I've got the PC set up to share. I've tried entering my pc username in the username field, PC password in the password field, and share <pc> in the Domain/workgroup field (at a loss for any better place to put it, since I'm still unable to edit the bottom field), and I still get the same error message.

Under Domains/Workgroups found (which I managed to expand) there is nothing.

Do I need to fiddle with my linksys router settings? BTW, as a reminder, I -am- able to ping the PC.

One more thing: the error message I'm getting appears in a dialog box, -not- in the SMB Browser error message field.

You shouldn't need to edit the bottom field. I never have. As for the Domain/Workgroup field, have you tried leaving it blank. I've never haven't needed to type the workgroup into it. It seems to always find it for me. I sure would like to try with my linksys router...if I only had a PC here at my home. Let me know how it goes with a blank workgroup.

No matter what combination I try (with this, without that) the response is the same. It Must be the router (?)

Do you have a hub you can borrow from a friend. If you could do that you could determine if its the router or not. You could probably get a cheap one on ebay or at your local compusa or something.

Back