samba: mounting my XP disc on my mac and visa versa

Okay, I still think SMB Browse is goofy.

If I start Windows while the Mac is on, I can use SMB Browse to access the Windows shares. Perfect.

If I start the Mac while the Windows machine is running, SMB Browse doesn't see the Windows shares. Not perfect. I can even mount the Windows shares using the Finder Connect To command, but SMB Browse still won't see 'em.

I can't wait for freaking Jag-wire. :rolleyes: :D

ghyde: have you tried booting the PC while the Mac is on? I don't know whether our problems are related.

That's weird. I never had those problems. Again, I was on a network in a fraternity house where i didn't control when other people rebooted their computers. I do know that SMB Browse worked for me every time I rebooted my machine.

Yes, I've rebooted the PC with the Mac on. I also reinstalled Sharit, without success. I then set up the PC (win 98 se) as a WINS server, using it's own IP address as the WINS address. This resulted in a Local machine time out error.

I have just added the IP of the Linksys router as the second WINS IP address. I'm rebooting the PC now. Will let you know what happens.

Update: rebooted without success.

BTW, two days ago I ran a port scan on the PC IP and got the following: Open Port: 139 netbios-ssn.

Now, however, I can't even ping!

Also, sharity currently shows me as both Mounted and Stored (State: MS), but cifs logins continues to spit back a Timeout error on local machine.

Back