Samsung 1710 printer driver for MacOS 12.5.1 monterey

nobody101

Registered
I was finally forced to buy a new machine with a new OS. Anyone have any idea what printer driver I can use for keep my trusty old Samsung 1710 working? The original driver is too old to even be allowed to be installed onto this machine. Please tell me how I can keep this great 20+ year old machine out of the dump! It still works great!

Here's a link to an article that modifies the latest existing driver to work on later macOS system.
It's from a couple of years ago, and appears to get it working on Big Sur.

I hope you are somewhat comfortable playing with the terminal - good luck!
Suggest you update your Monterey system to latest 12.6.9
I would be upset to mod the printer driver, only to see it break when you update the macOS.

Thanks. I found that earlier and had tried it but it was saying permission denied after trying some of those terminal commands.... sigh... I'm not that technical so beyond what they've said to do, I'm lost.

Any inexpensive printer (less than $100) will likely be better than your old printer. (Is it dot matrix? o_O )
As an added bonus, it'll likely be wireless, have a scanner and be capable of 2 sided printing.

On a serious note, do yourself a favor and buy the ones that use bottled ink---those cartridges are insanely expensive!

OP states that the printer is a Samsung 1710 (most likely the ML-1710) which is a laser printer, model released new in 2003.
Just a few years ago, I bought a Canon refurb, direct from Canon, laser black only wireless scanner/printer, for $99 delivered.
Just checked--none available right now, but refurbs show up often.

I reread it and followed the instructions a little more carefully and it did end up working. Tech stuff tends to stress me out and I can rush through it stupidly. The issues tab is also the next important step that wasn't obvious at first, which addresses the next problem.

Just a few years ago, I bought a Canon refurb, direct from Canon, laser black only wireless scanner/printer, for $99 delivered.
Just checked--none available right now, but refurbs show up often.

You can bring that scanner back into life with the shareware Vuescan and bring that scanner back to life!

Back