Selling iMac, what to delete before I sell?

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
I'm selling my iMac Intel Core 2 Duo in a week without restoring it. What should I delete before I hand over the computer. i don't want ANY of my personal files on there.

(I know the basics already: movies, photos, music, passwords, documents)

Anything else?

Easiest way would be to create a new admin account with a password that you share with the buyer, log into that account, and delete your old account.

Why not do that the easy way, and restore from your original disks?

You wouldn't want some of the cruft that someone else might leave on a used computer, so why not treat the new owner right, and just erase/install the hard drive ahead of the sale?
The new owner will thank you, I bet... :) especially if you leave the installer set in the box.

…unless you're intending to leave various applications installed because you don't have their installation discs and the buyer is paying for their inclusion.

If you have anything too personal (like file with credit card numbers for example, or tax reports, etc.) you should know that anyone with some skills and a basic recovery software can recover those files even if you delete them, so don't forget to use the option "Secure empty trash" when you empty the trash can (you'll find this in the "Finder" menu in the Finder.

If I was selling my computer, I would do a complete erase (the one that writes random data multiple times) and reinstall the original CDs or the latest OS X system that you're selling with it. I'm sure you have a reason not to do that though...

Have you thought about deleting what's in the Keychain? (passwords, usernames, etc.)

…unless you're intending to leave various applications installed because you don't have their installation discs and the buyer is paying for their inclusion.

If the apps installed were obtained legitimately, then the various installation CDs and DVDs would be available to the buyer.

If the original CDs and DVDs were "lost," there is no reason to keep the installed apps on the hard drive.

Any buyer who's worth their beans would demand the original installation CDs and DVDs for installed apps that they are purchasing. If I were the buyer and the seller was only willing to provide me with the installed apps and not the original installation CDs or DVDs, I would demand that the seller lower the price of the computer by the retail price of said software -- or simply walk away.

Every single computer you see on Craigslist or eBay that says, "Computer comes with a fresh copy of Mac OS X Leopard installed and is also pre-installed with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro" (or something similar) is a computer chock full of pirated (and, hence, illegal) software.

In order for the ownership of a license for commercial software to be transferred to a 3rd party, the 3rd party must be provided with the serial number (and, in many cases, the original installation media). Pre-installed software that's already had the serial number inputted does NOT meet this requirement.

Don't tap-dance close to the "illegal or legal" line... just do the right thing and don't leave installed commercial applications on the hard drive if you do not intend on providing the buyer with the cardboard box and original install CD/DVD that the software originally came with. It's immoral and, in many cases, illegal. Just provide the seller with a fresh, clean, default installation of Mac OS X (just as it would come from Apple if it were purchased brand-new) and let them pirate their own damn software.

Back