Shock and Awe to show off 10.4 to PC users?

kon21

Registered
Can anyone provide some stuff Tiger can do that I could show off to PC users to make their jaws drop?

Somethings that come to mind is
Expose
Dashboard
New Search feature
FireWire Target mode

3rd party favorites are QuickSilver and LiteSwitch

Other small ones would be:
Genie effect
Full size icons
Playing Quicktime movies in the Dock

Anything else you would recommand?

Safari's 2.0 ability for Private Browsing.

OS X's ability to run Unix programs. X11.

The Finder's easy search and the ability for easy Application install and removal.

The availability of Microsoft Office (Office 2004 version).

Plug and play. Almost any USB mouse plug and play.

Native DVD player.

iMovie (free to OS X), iPhoto (free) + Image Capture (it is in your hard drive)=any Digital Camera support, with no additional drivers.

GarageBand

RSS screensaver

Safari RSS support

Xbox Browser. They will love that.

Tab browsing (most Windows users still use I.E.)

No real viruses to date so far (for OS X).

SMB support. Kerberos support in Tiger.

Hell, I'd say just create them their own throw-away account and let them go at it...

Otherwise, ya gotta demonstrate whatever you think will blow the respective person's socks off... show off XCode and the Terminal to those PC-code geeks, since they'll appreciate that... show off the eye-candy to the gaming freaks, since they appreciate cool visual effects... show off GarageBand to those independent musicians... show off Mail and Safari to grandma and grandpa as well as those with little computer experience...

Hell, even if they still don't like it, it doesn't matter -- it's all about what computing environment you're most comfortable and are the most productive in, anyway! If they think their PC is so much better, don't bother wasting time trying to convince them -- you'll just further the stereotype of Mac users being hoity-toity and fanatical. Simply show them what you've accomplished at the end of the day, and compare it to their accomplishments. Chances are, yours will look better, sound better, cost less, be received better and be done in half the time.

The best things to impress PC users are:

Holding down shift while running exposé or minimizing to the dock (try it!),
The 'Flurry' screensaver,
Scaleing up icons and letting them see the high-res GUI sweetness,
Dock magnification in all it's (pointless) glory,
Did I mention expose?
The fact that the whole thing is cooler, not just the hardware....

If you have enough RAM, launch 10-15 apps and let them play around in the apps. That alone is enough to make a PC user switch :)

I was thoroughly impressed myself with spotlight, I'm sure that any avg Windows user would be astonished.

Expose
Dashboard
Automater
iLife
iWork
the new Preferences
Spotlight

Showed that to one of my colleague's at the Grocery Store i work with...he's thinking about getting a Mac Mini :D bringing it information on it tommorrow (wendesday)

huge PC fanatic build's them in his free time, lol

Here's another important kicker:
UNIX based - this makes the system one of the safest and one of the most rock-solid systems on the market.

Switching between accounts always seems to create the 'oohs' and 'aahs' you may be looking for. Even though it's not such a big deal, the 3D block turning effect to go from from one desktop to the next (accounts) always seems to elicit excitement. It is pretty cool!

Oh, and recently, I showed a friend Unreal Tournament 2005 on my G5 dual 2.0 G5 and turned on all the settings up to the higest they could go (ie. rendering, graphic detail, screen resolution, sound...etc.). He kept telling me that the program would crash at those settings and that I was making a mistake. When I played the game with tons of bots running around, the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, with not a single hiccup and seamless playing, his jaw hit the ground. Especially impressive that the machine only had 512 mb of ram in it at the time. That to him was extremely impressive. His argument that the PC was superior at game playing died then and there.

maybe one of the most important things is something they won't find...spyware? just make sure you make it very clear to them that they're not seeing it :)

Download BackLight, and just let it run as they use your machine. BackLight lets you run screensavers as dekstop backgrounds. All your icons, and your dock, and your menus and windows and everything, with all their transparency and antialiasing, just run right on top. And it's smOoOooooOOOth. Since most of the gruntwork is on the GPU (with most of the screensavers, anyway), it barely creates any performance hit. I often use the Pictures screensaver with this, and I often impress the crap out of PC users with it. :) Really, the cross-fading of the pictures is cool enough on its own, but when it's as a desktop background, it's just...whoah! o_O

Note: If you're on a notebook, this will probably send your fan into overdrive and your battery crying for its mommy.

ziess said:
Holding down shift while running exposé or minimizing to the dock (try it!),
I just discovered that this also works with Dashboard! This will keep me entertained for hours. Hoo-hoo, look at it go! The transparency looks really nice in slow-mo.

I always use this one - I have Expose controls mapped to buttons on my Logitech MX700 mouse. I Expose all over the place and it is very quick and never fails to impress. Perhaps I should try fooling the PC types by saying, "All windows" and "This window" so they believe it is all voice controlled? :)

Spotlight has to be a good one too - something like, all emails with the term "x"

Fryke: saw this on mac collection (someone linked me)

quite well done, i thought (they're usually so bad)

this is certainly what i'd want - a nice big screen to use as a portfolio-thing. full keyboard for input.

Attachments

• pbook-keybordfinal.jpg
    pbook-keybordfinal.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 11
wait that's in the wrong thread! argh! um... mods? can you move this post to the sub-notebook thread in opinions? please?

Back