Should Apple add WMA suppot on the iPod?

I know very little about WMA. Is it one format, or a suite of them, like AVI? Is it a very complicated format?

If playback would require expansion of the iPod's firmware, then no. Anyone notice that when they added AAC capability to the iPod, they *DROPPED* AIFF capability? They may be maxed out on formats.

supporting wma will allow users to use roxio's music downloading program with their ipods (as opposed to itunes'), and will also enforce microsoft's ability to create their own standard because they own such a large share.
no way will apple support this. i think every effort to force people to go away from microsoft's own standards is a good effort.

God I hope not, why would Apple work so hard to promote the mp3 based ipod and then jump into bed with Microsoft (who will problably want to get involved in an iTMS venture of their own at some point)

You mean like Napster?

While it would nice for Windoze Weenies to be able to play their WMA's on their iPods, they should wake up and ditch Microsoft already.

WMA stands for Windows Media Audio and is only one, proprietary format by Microsoft. Despite their claims, it is lower quality than QT-based, open standards like MPG, usually with a larger file size.

I could be wrong, but I thought WMA (like some of its WMV siblings) was a bastardized version of the AAC format (or some other open standard format) that Microsoft "proprieterized". Can't seem to find info on that right now…

I hate to say it, but WMAs can sound fantastic. I'm working with a client now who is sending me WMAs, which is really irritating cuz I have to jump through hoops to convert them, but anyway, they sound great. Of course, high rate AACs sound great too. I have yet to do any thorough comparisons. Suffice it to say, they both sound good to great depending on the encoding.

As for playing WMAs on the iPod, I was originally going to make a strong case for saying yes, but then someone pointed out that there are other options besides iTunes for WMA DL-ing, which would be a disaster. iPods are just the "in" for iTunes. Apple wants to sell iPods, sure, but that's just the beginning. It's really about iTMS. A perpetual cash cow. Now if Apple could somehow allow non-iPod technology to work with iTMS, that might be a sacrifice worth taking in the long run.

Or maybe not, what do I know? So far, Apple has made very good decisions (as of late, not in the early years, but we won't go there), delivered great products and done extremely well under dire circumstances. They should keep doing whatever they're doing that's got them this far.

WMA very well may be a bastardized version of some open standard (certainly not AAC, MPEG-4 was created long after WMA's had propagated), but either way it's a proprietary format that only works for players that encode for it. And in general, they sound worse than comparable sound files of other formats. It's Microsoft's way of trying to monopolize the audio market, just like they try to monopolize everything else.

Hmm... I'd say: At some point, yes. Why not. But now: No.

Why? Well: What Apple _really_ must do is propagate the AAC format and their DRM solution. Let others join the club more easily. Yes, it's an open format, but do it even MORE easily! Invite other MP3-player makers to use the format. Let them use iTunes. If 'the world' goes WMA and Apple is seen as a niche _again_, although it's them using a standard solution, Apple's lost another fight before it even started... Sure, iPod has great market share... But Apple should make sure that it has an _open_ solution that others can join... If it wants to win, that is.

Good Piont Fryke!

Apple should make it easier for major mp3 player manufactorers to use the AAC format. Inviting theese companies could help boost the AAC format across platforms.

Should Apple add WMA support to the iPods? In my opinion, No...

...but howabout this: for all those Windows users out there that have hundreds of WMAs on their machine but want to use an iPod and iTunes on their Windows box... howabout automatic conversion of WMA to AAC through iTunes? They could drag 'n drop their WMAs into the iTunes library, which would automatically convert them to AACs and place them in the Music folder, then offer the option to delete the WMAs after a successful conversion.

This is far simpler to do than enable WMA in the iPod. Converting WMA to mp3 or AAC also would counterbalance the critique microsoft offered: too closed. Please, yes download all you want from other services, as long as you play them in iTunes and listen to them on the iPod. The iTMS isn't a cash cow anyway. As long as they sell more iPods Apple is perfectly happy.
However, I also agree with Fryke, Apple would do well to just wait and see for a while. Nobody knows how this will turn out exactly. If the iTMS becomes the de facto ruler of the market, why should they change anything? If they need to be more competitive, the conversion option sounds the best up to now. Give it a year and those .1 giga songs and then we'll see ...

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca

...but howabout this: for all those Windows users out there that have hundreds of WMAs on their machine but want to use an iPod and iTunes on their Windows box... howabout automatic conversion of WMA to AAC through iTunes? They could drag 'n drop their WMAs into the iTunes library, which would automatically convert them to AACs and place them in the Music folder, then offer the option to delete the WMAs after a successful conversion.

That might be a problem, if the quality of the resulting file didn't live up to expectations. Converting a stripped music clip to another lossy format may have weird and unforseen consequences. I don't think this should be done in iTunes itself, but maybe with another program.

Fryke has it right. Apple has a chance to break out from the *iconoclastic niche market* image by getting others to build compatible equipment. As AACs become more widely used, ITMS becomes a defacto standard. This is not just about iPods, how about home stereo systems with 160 gig hds filled with max bit rate AACs with the ability to use your smart playlists and contribute to the usage stats on your iBook?

ITMS stays the unassailable leader, cash rolls in and we get great 3 gig G5 iBooks for $999 ;)::angel:: :cool:

I say no. MP3 is clearly leading the audio market and AAC is the next most popular among Mac users. Now that iTunes has been ported to Windows there is a reason for PC users to use AAC as well. Apart from Mac's trashy Windows Media Player (and no update since) Microsoft has shown absolutely no interest in the Mac platform as far as WMA support goes. With MP3/AAC who needs WMA anyway? That's what I think anyway.

It's not a question of adding WMA to the iPod as it is about the computer industry including AAC and QT support in products that currently support MP3 and WMA. This includes car decks to CD walkmen to iPod-like devices.

ElDiabloConCaca said:

I fully agree.

Nope. Conversion from WMA to AAC will result in lousy sound. WMA support in iTunes and the iPod would make sense. What's the licensing scheme with WMA? ;-)

fryke said:
Nope. Conversion from WMA to AAC will result in lousy sound. WMA support in iTunes and the iPod would make sense. What's the licensing scheme with WMA? ;-)

I'm not sure we'll have artefacts. With proper filtering we should be able to have a result very near to the original quality (?) of the WMA file.

Someone definitely needs to write a program, or something, that will convert a music file from one format, say MP3, to another, like WMA or AAC, without loss of sound quality. It shouldn't just re-rip it, but actually import the sound bits to the other format.

I wonder if it's possible... probably, but I bet it'd be difficult to do. Anybody up to the challenge? ;)

Back