Sierra Upgrade ...

Rhisiart

Registered
I am thinking of upgrading to Sierra. However does anyone know if Adobe Photoshop CS3 works with it?

Hmm...
I have CS4 - well, at least I did.
I upgraded to Sierra, on my main drive which had a working CS4 that I did not disturb for the Sierra upgrade. CS4 worked fine for a few days.
I think there was some issue that came up, maybe importing a file that produced an error...
Anyway, I decided to reinstall CS4. Did not work, could not reinstall CS4 on Sierra.
So, an already-installed CS4 may have issues, but might work for you. Wouldn't reinstall (the installer crashed with some kind of error).
And, that's CS4 - a year or two newer than CS3.

Good way forward is to test that for yourself. Take a drive that has your CS3 installed and working.
(This is a drive that you can test, that's backed up, and that you can restore to the older system if this doesn't work out for you)
Upgrade that drive to Sierra. Try Photoshop.
I can't tell you what may work, or what will not function at all. Could be that you will be fine with 10 year-old software, or you will discover that you can't fix some issue - unknown on software that is at least 4 version behind even old versions that might still be supported by Adobe.
Bottom line, I had problems with CS4. I don't expect that CS3 will be better. It will likely be worse.

Many thanks DeltaMac. I think I may take a pass on Sierra. I use Photoshop CS3 a lot and I don't want to lose it. Sure, I could upgrade Photoshop but we live in austere times and my good wife might remove some vital parts of the my body if I spend too much!

Good to hear!
Did you simply upgrade your system, and CS3 was already installed before the Sierra upgrade, OR did you reinstall the CS3 suite after the Sierra upgrade.

No CS3 was already installed when I upgraded to Sierra. I wonder how long it will work with subsequent upgrades!

You may be fine, unless something happens that requires you to reinstall CS3. Probably won't work then.
I can't predict the future, but at some point, old apps may lose the various links that the system provides for the software to work.
Or, Adobe is really good at what they do, and your old software will work forever (Yeah, right !!!) and Adobe won't want any more of your money :D

I am sure you are right. I'll do my best to not have to reinstall CS3. I'm not sure it will pass the next OS version though!

Back