Silly post counts

MDLarson

Registered
What's the big deal with the post counts? After reading some threads, I get the impression that it's either a contest to get the most posts or even a pecking order (in the sense that a Junior Member doesn't pull enough weight to have as valid an opinion as somebody with over a thousand posts or something).

I think this is my 26th post, and I'm loving it here, but I'm a little bugged about the post counts…

No, it's mainly a joke, Ed Spruiell and Admiral AK have very large post #'s. and we basically pick on them for having no lives.:D You'll notice that when you get to 1000 posts you'll have a small "congrats" thread made in your name.

Don't worry, once you join this forum, you're on a level playing field with everyone else. Posts are not individually rated, nor do users gain stars over time. You can look to post #'s as a measure of a person's expertise, or experience, or you can just ignore it all together. :)

Not sure why there is a whole junior, senior member thing, there are no differences in privileges.:confused:

Com'on and join us over at the bar and grill some time:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12852

Don't bother trying to read the whole thing unless you've got a spare week on your hands. The conversation is changing often anyways.

I think Phil pretty much summed it up. post count counts for a little more than zip. the threads that are congrats started more in silliness than anything else and yet we just enjoy talking to each other in them. they are certainly not about status. the only real way to achieve status around here is to make good posts, be friendly, and don't ask the same question 3 times:p

other than that, enjoy the site. i think that is really all a high post count means - that the person enjoys the site and the people on it. (and they have a big mouth:D )

of course if you would rather i stop posting so you don't feel threatened, just say so.;)

OK, cool. Resonable people all around, from the looks of things. It seems like a happy place here. :D

My observations:

People with less than 10-20 or so are usually regarded with some suspision, because nobody knows if they are a nice guy/gal, or the next ManicDVLN / Deez Nuts (idiots).

After then, people are very rapidly taken in - once you have over 20 or so, and seem to be sane, then people take you just as seriously as if you have 4000 (as per AK :eek:). The MegaUsers™ with obscene numbers of posts are regarded with a curious mixture of humble reverence and pity ;o)

Bernie :eek:)

I need no one's pity :p lol ;-)
I am just a daemon doing my daemonic job :D
lol ;-)

It's just a joke, nothing serious on post counts. If someone wanted to the the post count ruler, then he/she would create a post bot (we though herve was one a while back :p)...besides the counters will reset after a while, so post counts matter not :)

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
besides the counters will reset after a while, so post counts matter not :)
So you mean you have made more than (at present) 4380 posts?

WOW, you must be really into your work ;o)

ypu are now speaking to teh Admiral_bot...lol:p
just kidding... :p I thnk the post counter resets after 9999 :p in a year or so I will have 1 post lol :p

untill you have a huge count, and have contributed very little (I mention no names, but we know who they are...)

untill you have a huge count, and have contributed very little (I mention no names, but we know who they are...)

no_life.gif

Hee hee, I made a little animated GIF to commemorate this thread by! :D

Actually, I was going to put it in my signature with a cool little tagline that read "Because I wanted one more post", but I didn't bother to discover that I couldn't put IMG tags in signatures. :( Oh well.

Hey - a thought: you know all those nut-cases running round saying the world was goint to end at the coming of the second millenium? perhaps time will end when AK's post count resets - that's scary...

lol, that is indeed a scary thought...and a cruel joke on humanity :p

I do wonder if I am putting us one step closer to the end of time :p

Back