Slow FTP Server--HELP!!

macavenger

Registered
Lately my FTP server has been running extreamly slowly- currently there is four people downloading, but the combined network throughput is only around 50kb/s (about 6-7 kB/S). Does annyone have any ideas, however crazy, about what I can do to speed this up? I am on a 10Mb connection, so there is no excuse for running this slowly. I am currently using ProFTP, but I have also tried the built-in FTP server with the same results. People were getting good speeds a while ago, I am not sure what changed, unless it was the upgrade to 10.1... Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by testuser
There is this thread that covers duplex mismatch.

It appears to be set correctly. As far as I can tell.

You mentioned that this might be related to your upgrade to 10.1. I have not used Pro-FTP, but it seems that one potential problem might be some conflict between Pro-FTP and 10.1's built-in server. If you were required to disable the native FTP during the Pro-FTP install, you might need to do this again.

All I did after compiling and installing ProFTP was to change the ftp line in my inetd.conf file to point to the ProFTP server rather than the built-in. Might there be some other disabling process I need to do? I speculate that 10.1 might have something to do with it, because as far as I can remember that is the only thing that changed since it was running well. I have reinstalled ProFTP sincce then as well, but not untill after the slowdown.

Could there also be a problem with the hub or switch (if you have one)? Does powering off/on these devices help?

Certainly possible, unfortunately since I am on my schools network, I have no access to any hubs/switches there may be, and turning them off/on wouldn't be an option anyway, unless I wanted a lot of irate students on my hands ;)
Thanks for the thoughts!

I just found out that the speed problem only applies to downloads. Uploads still run at full speed. I wish I had some idea what to do about it :(

Back