Slow OS and breaking sound

amzin

Registered
Greetings, everyone.

Two months ago my iMac (2.16Ghz, 2.5GB, 25+ gigs free on HD) went crazy. It became slow and got sound problems.

1) When I play song in itunes, sound breaks for a sec or two and then resumes
2) Same thing in youtube or other flash clips in browser - sound and video stop and resume after 1-5 secs.
3) switching tabs in firefox often results in 3-5 secs waiting with rainbow circle turning.

What I tried:

1) Garageband trick
2) Audio/Midi trick
3) Uninstalled Google Desktop (helped a little)
4) Reinstalled Flash, even tried Flash 10 beta
5) Repaired disk and restored permissions
6) Disabled Firefox plug-ins, enabled ipv6 in Firefox (internet became slightly faster)
7) Deleted all iTunes add-ons, f.e. iLike
8) Destroyed Cocoaspell
9) Tried Safari instead Firefox - problem persists
10) Now I'm looking into StartupItems - there are two Parallels progs - they were installed by Parallels Desktop.

Any suggestions?

Run some maintenance on Mac from programs like Yasu or Onyx and run all the maintenance routines. Then once the maintenance program reboots your Mac, reboot it immediately again to rebuild the startup/shutdown cache.

Also reset the Pram in your Mac. It might help too. Good Luck.

Thank you for nice advice. I did Yasu maintenance (Onyx maintenance was done before) and reset PRAM and NVRAM.

System now running faster, but problem persists. There are pauses when playing songs iTunes and YouTube video. Btw, in YouTube there is clear sound and video up to 25-27 sec. Since then it begin to pause more and more often.

ps. Leo 10.5.4.
pps. Excuse me for my bad English.

hey!!! i have this exact same problem! for me it became noticeable after upgrading to itunes 7.7.1, but since the other user has problems with internet feeds it may be something else. disabling airport does not help the interrupted itunes audio.

i also have an apogee duet and it's maestro software installed but the problem occurs when it is not on. it feels like a windows computer loaded with spyware so i may try some mac spy remover.

if anyone can duplicate this problem, please post. i have a. imac, dual intel 2.0 ghz running 10.4.11 and the system has 2gb ram.

maybe it is signaling a demise of the hard drive...

I have the same problem as u guys, Amzin, have you fixed the problem or not yet ?if you did, can u tell me how you did fix it ? thx in advance !

The definitive solution is this, Firo:

Mk 2 plz for ports, tehn u tak teh crd zz6t y!!111! u want won 4 teh cr4z plit? Oh, shimp!14 Halp halp LOLOROFLMAOZEDONG.

Glad to be of assistance! ;)

El Senor Diablo: I sense satire.

Others: I wonder if there was an os update to fix this. Amzin, why haven't you updated to 10.5.6?

Bot
133t h@x0r b0t (not incredibly elite, you understand, it's really just a joke I stole from Tiki Bar TV; and no, I'm not DrinkBot)

Ex2bot, i've realised that the sound problem came along with the windows vista.
When i've boot camped to mac osx, there wasnt any problem with the sound. So wut ive did i tried to update the windows vista.but still, the prob. persists...so i think that this sound issue came with the installation of the WV. any suggestions from those who are concerned ?

Firo,

You typed "When I've boot camped to Mac OS X, there wasn't any problem with the sound. Do you mean that when you reboot in Vista there's no problem with the sound? But the sound stutters in OS X. Is that right?

If so, that indicates it's likely not a hardware problem. Probably a problem in OS X. Did you try using Activity Monitor (use Spotlight to find it or /Applications/Utilities/), and click on the "CPU" tab near the top of the window. What program(s) is / are using up the most CPU time. Maybe you have a "CPU hog."

You may also have too many programs open. When you open more programs (apps) than you have memory to hold, the system starts using hard drive space as "virtual" memory. But the hard drive is _much_ slower than RAM memory. So your system slows way down.

Please tell us your:

OS version for Mac OS X
and the amount of memory you have.

Both can be found by clicking on the Apple menu (upper left corner of screen in OS X) and clicking on the menu item "About this Mac".

I'm not sure what you mean about installing Windows Vista. Installing Vista shouldn't have any effect on OS X, and most likely would not cause any slowdown or stutturing sound in OS X.

Bot

Back