So I was playing w/ WinXP yesterday....

thedbp

Frantic Messenger of Hope
Oh man, what a piece of garbarge.

First of all, the interface is absolutely nauseating. I felt like I was in preschool playing with those giant Legos.

Its completely obvious the Microsoft wants you to have an "MS"-only XPereince. The entire thing felt hacked together, like a Frankenstein OS. And they ripped off the Mac once again, putting all the Control Panels into a submenu of the start menu – something the Mac has had since System 7, for crying out loud. I can't believe it took them that long to catch on that their Control Panel access sucked the proverbial ass.

As ever, the taskbar is a cluttered mess, and the on-screen text is wince-inducing. All in all, it really is an ugly, counter-intuitive mess.

And to make matters worse, a sales rep at Best Buy was telling some poor schmoe that if he bought this laptop with 256MB of RAM, he'd have to upgrade the RAM immediately because 256 isn't enough to do anything with. EXCUSE ME – I have 256 MB of RAM on a 5 YEAR OLD POWERMAC that i use to record 16-Track Digital Audio!!!!! I wanted to slap that know-nothing bastard.

Maybe that's why retailers don't like stocking Macs - the customer base is too smart to fall for their marketing and sales ploys.

Hallo There,

I totaly agree with your XPerience of that piece of crap that they call a Operation System ( thanks alot Billy Gates :-( )

I have question for you , i saw that u use your old centris as you answering machine .... What kind of software do you use for it ??? I want to have one to for my old and trusty PPC 9600 server......

Greetings from Starscream from the netherlands

my spects : PPC G4 400 / 512 mb / 20 GB / OS 10.1.0.2 & OS 9.2.2
A Applevision 850 for my G4 :)
PPC 9600 350 / 96 mb / 4 GB / OS 9.1

Its and Hardware-Software thing

I'm using Apple's never-quite-finished Apple Telecom solution. Basically, you need an Geoport Telecom Adapter (a modem interface that you can usually find on eBay for about $10) and the Apple Telecom software version 3.0.1 (actually I forget the entire version number, but its the last one they released, available from Apple's FTP servers - try going to http://www.pure-mac.com for a link to it).

It works pretty well! Not only does it have an answering machine, it also acts as a speakerphone and a fax machine. All in all, pretty cool stuff! it should work great on a 9600, I had it running on an 8600 and it was smooth as butter. I'd recommend sticking to an older OS though, as OS 9 has some issues with these modems and the software. It was a tad unreliable under 9 on the 8600 (but not to say unusable), but using 7.6.1 it flew and worked great. Please note that Apple never finished working the bugs out of this software and eventually dropped the entire Geoport concept, which was a shame as it was supercool technology, especially for the time it was around.

BTW, does anyone here keep older PowerMacs running any version of 7x around? From my experience they work great, boot insanely fast, and still retain compatibility with a bunch of newer apps (although that last statement becomes less true every passing second).

sheeee ya

Quadra660/52/NetBSD, 8.1
Centris660/24/7.6.1 <---- my answering machine

Well, i have Never Used a Mac, Besides a bout 1 min on my mate's iBook...!

but u Can Get Used 2 Windows XP... Esp if u've never XP'd (sorry bout the PUN) hardly anything Else, Besides Linux!

But my Machine Runs Very nicely as 0.9Ghz, 768MB RAM (133Mhz)
GF3 Ti 500 etc...

But... i am going 2 Get a Mac this Yr... Just Cus i am Curious...!

u might have seen this... here's my Desktop ...

NeYo

U Have 2 Admit though... Windows XP is a Step in the right Direction... i honestly hate going 2 College, to see Crappy old Windows Classic GUI!? i HATE Grey! Ewww...

Attachments

• delete.jpg
    delete.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 154
IS THE WHOLE DAMN WINDOWS WORLD POSTING IN "PHONETICS"-FORM?

Damn, this XP-phonetics-stuff is really weired...

the Linux guys play with pengiuns, the FreeBSD folks are all satans, the windows guys can't write plain text...hell, it's good to know we Mac folks are best of them all...tolerant, realistic...all over nice folks ;)

What was that about sarcasm-smileys?

Seriously, this was just a joke, nobody feel attacked, ok? ;)

Originally posted by ulrik
IS THE WHOLE DAMN WINDOWS WORLD POSTING IN "PHONETICS"-FORM?

Damn, this XP-phonetics-stuff is really weired...

the Linux guys play with pengiuns, the FreeBSD folks are all satans, the windows guys can't write plain text...hell, it's good to know we Mac folks are best of them all...tolerant, realistic...all over nice folks ;)

What was that about sarcasm-smileys?

Seriously, this was just a joke, nobody feel attacked, ok? ;)

Eh?! tut tut! ?

Neyo

Eh Eh!?
Must be a Mac thing! LOL
Are u trying 2 Say that, u want me 2 write with a Dictionairy, Thesaurus and my Eng Grammar Teacher Sat Next 2 me!?
Hmmm...

NeYo

Dont worry Neyo... its just a case of the wheeebolla..it comes and goes. Careful cause it is contageous ;)

Originally posted by thedbp
Oh man, what a piece of garbarge.

First of all, the interface is absolutely nauseating. I felt like I was in preschool playing with those giant Legos.
Two words: Classic Mode. Right-Click on your desktop, then choose Properties/Appearance (think that's the tab). There will be a popup menu with "Windows XP" selected. Select "Windows Classic." Believe me it's quite a bit less "Legoey."
Its completely obvious the Microsoft wants you to have an "MS"-only XPereince.
No $hit, Sherlock. What good would Microshaft be if they couldn't cram their products straight up their users' asses? BTW first thing I do when installing XP is remove MSN advertising feces that're smeared all over the OS.
The entire thing felt hacked together, like a Frankenstein OS.
Just for the record, XP is built on the excellent Windows 2000 kernel. So it's stable, albeit uncomfortable (zat what you meant by "hacked together?")
And they ripped off the Mac once again, putting all the Control Panels into a submenu of the start menu – something the Mac has had since System 7, for crying out loud. I can't believe it took them that long to catch on that their Control Panel access sucked the proverbial ass.
The Control Panel is the same as it's been since Windoze 95. And since then, the Control Panels have always been selectable from the Start Menu.
As ever, the taskbar is a cluttered mess, and the on-screen text is wince-inducing. All in all, it really is an ugly, counter-intuitive mess.
A cluttered mess? It's the best Taskbar yet! You may say to yourself, "That's not sayin' much," but in comparison to all other versions of Windoze, the XP Taskbar is much less cluttered. For one, you can have it group together minimized windows that are running under the same application. Another aesthetically pleasing change is the option to make the system tray hide itself. On top of all that, you can Auto-Hide the Taskbar, same as always.
And to make matters worse, a sales rep at Best Buy was telling some poor schmoe that if he bought this laptop with 256MB of RAM, he'd have to upgrade the RAM immediately because 256 isn't enough to do anything with. EXCUSE ME – I have 256 MB of RAM on a 5 YEAR OLD POWERMAC that i use to record 16-Track Digital Audio!!!!! I wanted to slap that know-nothing bastard.
Was the laptop a PC or a Mac? From the way your paragraph was headed, it sounded like a PC, and believe me 512MB or more is quite nice on a laptop compared to 256MB.

(sidenote)Memory prices have dropped through the friggin' floor! Why not max out that 5 YEAR OLD POWERMAC while prices are low? I must recommend Crucial for their exceptional quality merchandise and their outstanding customer service and shipping habits.(/sidenote)
Maybe that's why retailers don't like stocking Macs - the customer base is too smart to fall for their marketing and sales ploys.
How do you explain the new Apple stores making so much money??? :p

Wait..you are right! I NEED WindowsXP, RIGHT NOW!
Who wants my Quicksilver and my Cube? I want a PC! I want it know!

...well...after thinking 0.2 seconds about it - which, like Data told us, is a damn long time ...I remembered the 10.345 reasons I switched from PCs, which I used for twelve years - to Macs!

Sure was that post not completely right, but your sig reads "Aqua sucks", that's what I call open minded!

Let us bitch about your OS, if it is qualified or not, it's our forum ;)

Oh, and if you expect that the Apple Stores start earning money in the very first year they were founded, than you should inform yourself a bit about bussiness...so much for the flaming...

thank you and good night, that was another eXPerience we had here

isn't anybody going to fly around a cow pasture? i wanna see my friends fly around cow pastures. I assume XP cd's are laced with some pretty good drugs if people start flying once they boot up. or at least the people next to you fly.
ever notice how bootup ryhmes with shoot up? I guess we all got our own form of junk. which brings me back to the topic of xp....:cool:

X or XP sucks?
Aqua or Lunu sucks?
iMovie or Windows MovieMaker sucks?
iTunes + Quicktime or Windows MediaPlayer sucks?
DVD Player or (what is used in XP, sorry, I can't find one) sucks?
iDVD or (again... can Windows MovieMaker makes DVD?) sucks?
Image Capture or My Pictures sucks?

You guys should have some ideas...

But, in fact, there are still some great functions in XP anyway. I have an iPod, Nickon 775 digital camera and planned to buy a DV, I think iBook and OS X is still my digital hub to go. That's my eXperence!

So, what is your eXPerence?

Ooooh goodie! We have a PC troll on our forums now, just like the MacCentral forums has Mendar to inform everybody how truly great PCs are and how Apple is doing everything wrong.

Squeek, please get a life. Unlike all of the other Mac users on here, we don't use an OS that is crammed down our throats by an illegal monopoly. And it actually looks good, especially when put side by side with Windows XP w/ the Luna interface OR with the Classic interface.

And ddma is right -- all of Microsofts "competing" products like Windows MovieMaker are all not that much of a competition.

Oh, and by the way -- if you want stability, it's called UNIX. And what do you think Mac OS X is built on top of?

Hold the phone a minute people.

First off, let me say that I got off to a bad start. I was raised on a Macintosh, and I will forever have a respect for the platform above any other. I love the idea of OS X, but the reason I came here to these forums was to try to learn some very basic things, like how to change the Aqua interface that I am so NOT IN LOVE WITH. And somebody please tell me - where the hell is the calculator?

Another thing - I wasn't attempting to flame anyone with that first post. I was just defending Windoze XP for its good qualities. Like its Windows 2000 code base.
Originally posted by simX
We have a PC troll on our forums now...
Squeek, please get a life...
And [OS X] actually looks good, especially when put side by side with Windows XP w/ the Luna interface OR with the Classic interface.

And ddma is right -- all of Microsofts "competing" products like Windows MovieMaker are all not that much of a competition.

Oh, and by the way -- if you want stability, it's called UNIX. And what do you think Mac OS X is built on top of?
Thank you for pointing out the obvious, simX. I know that Windows add-ons like MovieMaker and MediaPlayer suck. I know that OS X is based on UNIX. But I wasn't making a comparison to a Mac when I stated that XP is the most stable Windoze ever. I was comparing it to other Windoze versions. And whether or not OS X looks good is just a matter of opinion, and my opinion is "Aqua sucks. Gimme my XP."
Originally posted by ulrik
Sure was that post not completely right, but your sig reads "Aqua sucks", that's what I call open minded!

Let us bitch about your OS, if it is qualified or not, it's our forum
"Aqua sucks," is a statement of my opinion. I had a VERY open mind when I upgraded to OS X. That was partly because I was VERY sick of that horrid OS 9.0 (9.1 helped my feelings a bit).

YOUR forum? I am a user and a Mac lover just like anyone else in this forum. I may be new, but does that mean it's not MY forum too?
Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
isn't anybody going to fly around a cow pasture? i wanna see my friends fly around cow pastures. I assume XP cd's are laced with some pretty good drugs if people start flying once they boot up. or at least the people next to you fly. ever notice how bootup ryhmes with shoot up? I guess we all got our own form of junk. which brings me back to the topic of xp....
Wow, Ed. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you have to say on these forums!

Apologies to anyone who thought I was attempting to be hostile. This is a great forum, and I'm definitely a new regular. But please help me like OS X more. I want to learn all that I can aboot it so I can learn to appreciate it more than I do right now. And can someone please find my damn calculator?

welcome to the community squeek !!

now that you've done your silly newbie thing that you would have known better if you had been here a while, you are free to assume your own identity (and argue with simx all you want). there will inevitably be disagreements in 80% of subjects raised which is as it should be. there will inevitably be a 50% disagreement with everything posted by sim (wink, wink - just teasing simX;) )

there is lots to learn here. the calculator should be in your applications folder. at least that's where mine is. i might have moved it there a while back. i don't know. i am middle aged member and don't always remember trivial things like that. of course a search using file/find will tell you where it is, if its not there.

so open your mind, boot up your flying instant messengers elsewhere, and enjoy the site. just remember the letters M$ and XP are going to raise blood pressures around here. it's a law of newtonian and lombardian physics.:D absolutely documentable and reproducible.

One Question Guys...
U all, well most Don't like Luna, Am i right in saying that?! ...
Well... Have you seen how much it can be modifed, edited and basically F**ked aroun with?! ... i mean, unlike this forum, a Windows Forum i visit is ALWAYS talking of ways to continue to Mod Luna, Explorer etc... (sure thats Probably cus they hate how it looks @ present, But Hey!? :D )
...As Far as i have seen, OS X Doesn't seem as verstatile as XP, when it come to this, although if i am wrong u guys will jump, and ambush me in a second... So Come... "BRING IT ON" LOL

...For Me, From the Outset, Almost Everyone Hated "The Green Eye" aka. The Windows Start Button... So that was changed... and from there... a whole lot of stuff has gone...
which recently coincides with the majority of my icons being hacked and modded, to OS X ones... (Via Shell32.dll)

The Way i see it is, that Microsoft made Luna Pretty Customisable (chk) Because, they knew it looked pants... but they Also wanted to give its Users a "Challenge" in making it better! hehe!

...And also, Logon Screen's have come a long way too!
I'll Add my Logon Screen (just 4 Good Measure!)

NeYo

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 34
Originally posted by FrgMstr
Heres an interesting review for you guys

http://www.dv.com/magazine/2002/0102/hones0102.html

have a read.

digital video and Dual Procs they put the Dual 800 G4 up against dual P4's and Dual Athlons

Oh, great review there. They tested multiprocessor machines against a dual-processor Mac running OS 9, which can't use the second processor.

Given that, the Mac actually performed pretty well.

I'd suggest they repeat that review with OS X.

Wade

Um, yeah, whatever. It still sounded like you were a PC troll. ;)

Oh, and Ed.... for the record, I think you've disagreed with more than 50% of what I've said. :p

Anyways, in defense of OS X, OS X is HIGHLY customizable. I'm sure it's probably more customizable than Windows XP is. Using the utility MetamorphX and the provided themes, you can change the whole look of OS X -- there's even a Platinum theme. There's a file that houses all the default icons, so you can have different default icons for CDs and folders and partitions. And it's not only customizable in that respect -- you can now modify the Apple menu thanks to a haxie by Unsanity called FruitMenu... also provided by Unsanity is WindowShade X. With TinkerTool you can make all Terminal windows transparent and have the Dock slide out from under the menu bar if you really wanted. ASM can put the traditional OS 9 application switcher back in its rightful place. I've seen some really neat desktops with the theme changed and the desktop picture changed and everything totally switched around. I really doubt that XP can do things like this. I really, really doubt it.

So if you hate Aqua so much, just go download MetaMorphX. I'm sure you'll appreciate it. And I'm sure you can start making your own themes as well!

Back