Software Update installing things twice

bunner bob

Registered
Just got a new Mac Pro and manually downloaded 10.5.2, installing in safe boot mode.

After rebooting in safe boot mode (while still IN safe boot mode) I ran software update to install the other 14 items that hadn't yet been done. When this was done, I clicked "restart" and the next thing I know, software update appears to be running "automatically" (with a progress bar the only thing on screen) installing 14 (more?) items! Pretty sure it's the same 14 items I just installed. The second install went a lot faster - assuming it at least figured out SOME of the items had been installed.

I disabled Software Update's automatic download of updates, but it must have downloaded these before I did so.

Do you think anything bad will happen from double-installing these updates?

I'm no programmer, but have noticed in 10.5 (not sure when it started: .1 or .2) that Software Update downloads the update but many times it doesn't install it; instead forces you to restart and THEN installs the update on a blank screen with only a progress bar showing.

My guess is that you only have 1 update from your description.

I have never used 'safe mode' for OS's or updates, and have never had a problem.

Yes, when you click restart after downloading some updates, the system then completes the install, and then reboots. Completely normal for 10.5 updates, and isn't really doing updates twice!

Yep, perfectly normal behaviour, it's not installed twice. Btw.: Why in safe mode for the updates?

Agreed -- totally ridiculous for something that's supposed to be semi-transparent and automated. No need to go through all that rigmarole for software updates -- it's much easier and just as safe to make sure no other applications are running while Software Update is installing updates, and sometimes, even that isn't necessary.

And, that list is from well before Leopard was released. Most of the points are quite good, and the goal is to avoid possible problems caused by a system update. And, the idea for the Safe Boot is OK, as a fresh restart helps eliminate the possibility of an app interfering with the update. I think the reboot (Safe Boot or not) is another part of that 'safe' update. Safe Boot necessary? probably not. Leopard has changed the install sequence, so updates that require a reboot don't install completely until the restart process is well on its way, perhaps making the Safe Boot even less needed.

Back