Software Update unable to install...

RPS

Registered
Hi, after downloading the Java update, I get an error saying Software update can't correctly verify and expand the file. I've had this message a few times before with the system update, but then I did an erase and install and got that out of the way. But now the message reappears. See attached screenshot for the full error message.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 24
Run ( Disk Utility ) Repair Permissions on your hard drive, and try again ... as it does not have the permission.

Yes but I forgot to say, there is no 501 folder in my temp folder... But I'll try this first

I had a similar problem and and it took me days to figure it out. It turned out to be the Keychain preference for my account (admin). It became corrupt so I threw the preference out and the updates would install all the way for me again. I hope this helps.

1. Reboot
2. In the Terminal, type
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
sudo softwareupdate -i -a

That will run your periodic maintenance routines, in case they need to run to clean something up, and then run softwareupdate from the terminal installing (-i) all (-a) available updates.

If, for some reason, there's an update you don't want to install, just run:
sudo softwareupdate -l
sudo softwareupdate -i <package names separated by spaces>

but I'd say just install 'em all... :p

I don't know how to run software update from the terminal, and is that command one line, or 2?

Those are two different commands that need to be run one after the other.

First run the first command that michael posted above:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Then wait for the first command to (this can take a while) finish and run the second one afterwards:
sudo softwareupdate -i -a

::ha:: You should also run Disk Utility and let it repair the previliges

If I enter "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" without the quotation marks of course, nothing seems to happen, and nothing has changed after 10 mins now. So that the terminal thing, and Disk Utility, I already tried that.

Oh it worked now, and I get this message in Terminal: "Java 1.4.2: 0...10...20...30...40...502004-04-17 01:35:51.956 softwareupdate[1834] Error verifying file with signature /tmp/SoftwareUpdate.rvBefZ/signature
Failed
Make sure you have permission to write to /tmp/0/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, then try again."

Run the "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly"-command before going to sleep and leave the computer running overnight... it will take a long time until these processes are finished.

My slow iBook finishes all the periodics in like 5 minnutes, but the program will snatch the terminal (prevent you from entering other commands) until it's finished, so just type that and wait for the command prompt to return.

Please type the following in the terminal, and paste the result as a reply to this post.
ls -la /private/ | grep tmp
(by the way that | is a pipe, shift-\, not a letter ell)

This will tell us what the current permissions on your /tmp directory are, they should look something like "drwxrwxrwt 10 root wheel 340 16 Apr 22:44 tmp" (forget the date part).

If the permissions are incorrect, we can fix that.

michaelsanford said:
My slow iBook finishes all the periodics in like 5 minnutes, but the program will snatch the terminal (prevent you from entering other commands) until it's finished, so just type that and wait for the command prompt to return.

Please type the following in the terminal, and paste the result as a reply to this post.
ls -la /private/ | grep tmp
(by the way that | is a pipe, shift-\, not a letter ell)

This will tell us what the current permissions on your /tmp directory are, they should look something like "drwxrwxrwt 10 root wheel 340 16 Apr 22:44 tmp" (forget the date part).

If the permissions are incorrect, we can fix that.

I got this answer: drwxrwxrwt 25 root wheel 850 17 Apr 04:32 tmp

First hirdle down, now try
ls -la /private/tmp/ | grep 501

You should get something like
drwx------ 3 YOUR-USERNAME wheel 102 17 Apr 11:57 501

What's hirdle down? :-/

This is what I get:
drwx------ 5 robert wheel 170 17 Apr 18:16 501
-rw-r--r-- 1 robert wheel 0 17 Apr 15:29 cs_cache_lock_501
srwxr-xr-x 1 robert wheel 0 15 Apr 18:23 icssuis501

RPS: Have you tried to DL the Java update from VT or MU instead of using SU?

Also you can easily run maintenance scripts using Onyx, which is donation-ware.

Okay I'm going to run System Optimizer in a minute (the same as Onyx), and then try to Install Java from VT.

Well the installer said this Java update was only for 10.3.1 and above, but I'm running 10.3.3 :confused:

See attachment for the error window

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 8
Back