Software Update

voice-

Registered
Now that it's all stand-alone, it's a daily run thingy in my dock, I imagine others also run it more often. With the constantly increasing internet speeds, it's time to put more software in there.

Let it check all our software, or at least software allowing this. I'd love to have my Warcraft 3 updated every time I run Software Update.
This would require some help from 3rd party developers, who would have to set up servers in a particular way, and maybe put the proper code into their applications, but none the less, if Apple allows for this, eventually the majority will put it there...

Some users won't want this, let it be a preference.
How about it? Possible, or are there problems I don't see?

voice- said:
Now that it's all stand-alone, it's a daily run thingy in my dock, I imagine others also run it more often. With the constantly increasing internet speeds, it's time to put more software in there.

Let it check all our software, or at least software allowing this. I'd love to have my Warcraft 3 updated every time I run Software Update.
This would require some help from 3rd party developers, who would have to set up servers in a particular way, and maybe put the proper code into their applications, but none the less, if Apple allows for this, eventually the majority will put it there...

Some users won't want this, let it be a preference.
How about it? Possible, or are there problems I don't see?

There was some software that did this, communicated to a central server, or used some info from each software to scan for updates on the net. As I recall, it did not work too well (I don't remember what the name was, but it was disabled by 10.1, I think, and never updated (ironic, eh?)
Tough to prevent an automatic update that supports Panther, which breaks your app because you're still running Jaguar!! Hard enough to consider that when you do it manually.... Could be a very messy service to support.... But a good idea, nonetheless. Maybe some developer can get it to work without the updates getting out of hand

its a good idea, but right now it is easy for apple to control because it is only their stuff. things get complicated when you add 3rd party stuff. ahh, in a perfect world....

Apple should source it out to developers and then create some sort of communication between the Apple servers and the software makers servers that will let the SU let the user know there are updates for their products. All these checks can be built into software. It would definitely consolidate a lot of things, and make everything much more simplistic for the user. Much more simplistic. One-click updating for prods you run. Sounds good to me.

doesn't macupdate or versiontracker have something similar? i don't think it is an automatic update, but they at least let you know when the updates are out don't they?

I believe so, but I think it would be better to have one central repository vs. having to go to multiple sites. Apple is after simplicity and power in terms of their OS's, and always has been. This would remove one more step and add more ease of use.

VersionTracker has or had a... plan, or system, or thingy-ma-jigger... that would scan your software, search the 'Net, and give you a listing of what had updates. But I doubt they're still supporting it.

Yeah, that's it. I thought you had to pay for more than a single use, but they don't mention it—they either got rid of that part or they don't think it's worth mentioning.

Thanks for the link, I'm giving that puppy a spin in both environments. :)

50 USD a year may actually be worth it...will give ti a try once I get my PB back from repair...

Back