SoftwareUpgrade : Downgraded the system

arri

Registered
(powerbook g3 pismo)

this is the weirdest thing:

after applying Software update, going from 10.3.4 to 10.3.5 (and other stuff like java etc..) i couldn't boot anymore, the computer would hang on the bootpanel at the moment that it says "loading login window".
after trying several things i decided to hook it up to my desktop computer, and see what's wrong. there i noticed that the system reports that 10.3.2 is currently installed. so it downgraded from 10.3.4 to 10.3.2..
now i manually installed the 10.3.3, 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 packages from the desktop computer. but that didn't help either.
guess the only option left now is doing a fresh install, but i don't really have time for that now... it's very inconvenient at this moment.

anyone any suggestoin?

arri

Go to the Apple web site and download the OS X 10.3.5 Combined Update . This is the best updater to use, as it will update any lower version of 10.3.x, and may help you out. It's an 88 MB download, so I hope you have a fast internet connection.

Repair your disk Permissions before installing the update, and re-do the permissions AFTER completing.
Your system can't downgrade itself unless some other bad things are happening. (you can't simply CHOOSE to downgrade)

How do you know that the system downgraded itself? The correct Finder version for OS X 10.3.5 is Finder 10.3.2, so if you were looking at that, I can see how that would be confusing. For example, I have OS X 10.3.5 installed with all current updates, and my Finder reports it's own version as 10.3.2. About This Mac reports I have system 10.3.5.

the 10.3.2 was reported in the startup disk system pref, read on my desktop, with the powerbook plugged with firewire in target mode.
ofcourse this might be a corrupt number, but it wouldn't let me install the regular 10.3.5 update anymore.

maybe it would have been best to use the combo update,
but i had already finished the 3-part-update sequence, with no luck.
now i get the osx-can't-find-boot-disk-icon when i try to boot.

i gave up. i think the system is fucked.

all problems started when Software Update tried to update a whole list of stuff, and the 10.3.5 update failed somehow.
then after restart i ran the 10.3.5 update package alone, after that nothing but trouble.

i'll have to do a fresh install.
now i am a real digital nomad i guess...
no mobile machine at the moment

tnx

You can do a fresh install, which I would recommend, but you also have the option of doing an Archive and Install, which preserves your old System while installing a fresh, new one. Your old system will be in a folder named "Old System" or something like that after this kind of install, so you might be able to recover some important settings or documents or something.

Anytime you use Software Update, and there are a few updates available, you should only do one at a time.

I've seen reports on different boards, MacFixIt, etc, that this can cause problems.
If you do more than one update at a time, then if you have problems. you won't know which update caused it. Better to do one at a time and make sure things are ok.

Back