Sold MBP and buyer disputed it...

diem

Registered
Basically I may be out $1000. I sold my 2 year old macbook pro on ebay and foolishly didn't use insurance or signature confirmation because I was trying to get it shipped out fast.

The guy acknowledged receipt of it but he filed a claim with paypal and they have sided with him because I did not use signature confirmation. Is there any recourse I can take? Can I have any criminal charges filed or is it civil only?

He lives a few states away so it's really difficult and I really needed this money. Any insight?

It's under $5,000 and it's breach of contract, basically, so your easiest bet would be to file a civil suit in small claims court. Check with your state and see what the small claims maximum is -- most states is $5,000, but some are higher and some are lower. The small claims limit is simply the maximum amount you can sue for and win -- so if your state's small claims maximum is $2,500 and you're out $3,000, you can only hope to recollect $2,500.

It's relatively simple and inexpensive to file a civil suit in small claims court, although you may have quite a delay until it's actually heard in a court.

Keep that confirmation of receipt as if your life depends on it, though -- that will make or break your case.

Basically I may be out $1000. I sold my 2 year old macbook pro on ebay and foolishly didn't use insurance or signature confirmation because I was trying to get it shipped out fast.

The guy acknowledged receipt of it but he filed a claim with paypal and they have sided with him because I did not use signature confirmation. Is there any recourse I can take? Can I have any criminal charges filed or is it civil only?

He lives a few states away so it's really difficult and I really needed this money. Any insight?
Perhaps I am being a bit thick, but I don't really understand what happened. Did he receive the MacBook and then simply failed to pay you? What did he claim? Was it damaged?

Hello;
As a survivor of 300 plus Ebay transactions I can tell you that you are being scammed! Paypal will always side with the buyer no matter how trivial.If they have put a hold on your payment you might as well say goodbye to it. I went through the same thing about 3 years ago.I ended up turning it over to a collection agency.ended up getting my money but it took almost a year.I would check on the laws in your state as to small claims or collection agencies.Ebay has turned into a free for all for this kind of activity.Stay away from it if you can.
Good luck!

Back