Some changes for 10.3

Why does anybody care about the ammount of time it takes to boot shut down? How ofter does one do that, I only do it when Software update forces me. Every night I just put the thing to sleep and turn of the external Firewire drive. My kid's night light uses more power. ;-)

-Eric

Originally posted by lurk
Why does anybody care about the ammount of time it takes to boot shut down? How ofter does one do that, I only do it when Software update forces me. Every night I just put the thing to sleep and turn of the external Firewire drive. My kid's night light uses more power. ;-)

-Eric

Not in all areas and of course countries the Power Plants work as they should be... If they were we wouldn't have all those UPS companies and other power failures technologies...

For example, here in Greece, no one would guarantee to anyone that when he/she will put his/her computer to sleep that it will be safe... Hence, the need to shut down and start up... :(

Also, while you work, for any reason, if the computer will turn off (even from a crash) you simply have to turn it back on...

Arden previously said that he would love to see a computer to boot fast... I simply say that I dream the day when computers will boot in a few secs at the most like TVs, game consoles, etc. currently do... :rolleyes:

Until then I would like Apple at least to make their computers to boot in less than 40 secs and turn of in less than 4 secs... :p :D ;)

:)

...Apple's future OSes is the following:

When a user installs ANYTHING via Software Update in case that something goes wrong the user should be able to return his/her Mac(s) to its previous state... Automatically that is! I don't know! An easy way should be by just click and hold some keys while the system boots... Or while inside the GUI by double clicking an app or something...

Or even improve uppon Windows XP System Restore and Rollback functions by offering them absolutely transparently even to most technically challenged people out there... :p :D ;)

Something I wouldn't mind experimenting with, is a kind of automatic organization of the files on my HD in a similar way as iTunes does. This could be included as an option, just like it is in iTunes, permitting you to easily select and find files or folders of a certain type, date, name, etc. The OS would take care of keeping them organized, so you wouldn't need to wade through garbled forlders in folders in folders to find non-descript files. Everything could moreover be navigated or pictured by a tree-like structure not unlike the column view. If you drop a folder in OmniGraffle 3 you'll get an idea ... The more I think of it the more I like it ... could be done with scripts already now maybe ... "put all .txt files in a dir" ... meybe selection on comments as tags ... mmmh ... :)

Originally posted by hulkaros
...and turn of in less than 4 secs...
...like they used to! Seriously, it takes like 10 minutes for my computer to shut down in OS X. In 9 it's off by the time its head hits the pillow.

Lurk: Many people do not keep their computers on all the time, especially non-power users (and my family). They start it up when they want to use them and shut them down when finished. This process takes a while and it would be nice for it to go quickly. Besides, when you use Software Update, you still have to wait for it to start up again.

I like Cat's idea. It would work very well with something like Photoshop and its file browser (considering that probably a quarter or more of the files on some peoples' computers are installed with a program, you couldn't sort all files). Photoshop or iPhoto could sort files into folders based on name, photo set, and more. iTunes already sorts songs. Project Builder could sort files based on programming projects... the possibilities are endless. (I don't think it's a good idea for the OS to do it all by itself... again, many files are installed and need to go where they go, and others like Unreal Tournament's .ini files are used by the programs and have to go in certain places to work.)

Ah, the curse of passive voice...

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but anyways here it is:
-I would like Apple to remove the obstacle of having only 5 levels when browsing for files through the Dock PLUS to show only around 100 files in each level...

I would love to have the ability to browse as many leves deep with as many files/folders in them... :rolleyes:

Adding 'Hide' to the pop up menu when right-clicking an active app in the Dock would be nice.

Those are both useful features that crossed my mind when using X the other day. I hope Apple implements both (by default, if applicable).

Back