Some changes for 10.3

Originally posted by dracolich
[BNo please... I still have nightmares of windows moving and resizing anywhere and anyway just because I tried to click in the wrong place.[/b]
That's exactly why I suggested using a modifier key to resize from any side. Therefore, you could hold command or right-click to resize a window from somewhere besides the bottom-right corner. (On a side note, why does Windows even have the little resize indicator in the corner like Mac if you can resize from any side? :p)
Two most useful things: windowshade...
Yes. Definitely.
...and classes.
What mean you by this? I think 6 classes a day is plenty... :)

Actually resizing from every corner (not every side) would indeed be usefull.
Multiple desktops would also be nice and an "up" (cd ..) button in finder windows. Consitent Copy-Paste commands & Drag 'n Drop between Aqua and X11 would be welcome.

Originally posted by Decado
no. not on mine. i can switch between alphabetical or by subject.

...Alphabetical mode you should get a smaller window overall and the icons get closer to each other. If you enable it, you should gain lots of window size even if you have loaded the others section with loads of stuff ;) But if you mean that you want the prefs to be categoriazed and still get more window space by having ONLY the icons (not their names) displayed, by an option, is fine by me too and I hope Apple will fix this too :D

Until then, put them Alphabetical :rolleyes:

;)

Originally posted by Cat
an "up" (cd ..) button in finder windows.

...but try to read the page 3 (for me it is page 3 for you may differ!?) of this very thread... Read the whole page and you will get it ;)

:D

That's true, but I still prefer a button to a CMND-click + click ... that would be one CMND-click less and, yes, I'm lazy! :)

the unix format mailboxes support back... :D

and possibility to really use different smtp accounts for all outgoing stuff in mail.

Originally posted by Decado
no. not on mine. i can switch between alphabetical or by subject.

Oops, sorry, I misread what you were asking. I would like something like the changes in 10.2 where you can change text/icon size in toolbars but you also have text labels on the right. That way you would have minimal space taken up by the buttons. For apps like Help this would be really great!

Originally posted by Snowball
Oops, sorry, I misread what you were asking. I would like something like the changes in 10.2 where you can change text/icon size in toolbars but you also have text labels on the right. That way you would have minimal space taken up by the buttons. For apps like Help this would be really great!
I'm not clear on what you want here. Could you make a mock-up or something? Or at least explain exactly what you're talking about?

- Compatibility with the NTFS-Filesystem
- Toggle between small and big icons in the finder menubar
- two docks, one for the apps, one for the hidden documents
- printing the window-contents would be nice (without third-party software)
- shaded windows

Attached is what I'm talking about.

screenshot2.jpg

Okay, I see what you're talking about. I think someone else mentioned that somewhere.
Originally posted by hulkaros
So, there! Now, if only Apple made this built-in, eh? ;) :D
That's the point of this whole thread: these are the things we want built in, fixed, or made easier to find & use.

Originally posted by Scott_Bernard
faster GUI on older G3 & G4 computers...

:(

For all systems Panther will be faster than Jaguar currently is, and for the newest ones it will be even faster than Jaguar now is :eek: :p ;) :D

Gidday folks,

My first post to this forum.

Window Manager Enhancements
  • Be able to resize a window from any border like every other GUI/Window Mgr
  • Virtual Desktops such as in KDE. Perhaps the one Dock can span these desktops.

Dock Enhancements
  • "Alt-Tab" selects most recently used apps rather than selecting each one in the list. Again a feature in every other OS GUI.

Cheers,

Brooke

Simultaneous user login!!

I have Windows XP at home. I used to share a single account on windows 98 with my girlfriend but i clog the desktop up and then she puts some girly desktop picture on i don't want to look at. So with XP we have separate accounts and the great thing is we can both be logged in simultaneously.

So if I'm downloading stuff on Direct Connect or uploading files for a job to a clients FTP site she can just go on switch user and access her email account. All without me being logged out and not interrupting anything I was doing.

I think OS X really needs this. Now at work were we have multiple users using multiple mac I can really see a use for this. If someone is in the middle of scanning something into photoshop that will take 15 minutes another user can login and check there email quickly. There are tons of other uses for it tool.

In a multicomputer environment, this is rather a feature that causes problems, because at the end of the day you have to logout of 15 machines out of 80 and you can't remember where you've logged in. ;)

But yes, I want that feature, too. But not at the cost of performance. If Apple can't do it without a BIG hit (i.e.: you need more than 1 GB of RAM for it), then they'd rather wait doing it.

Back