Some changes for 10.3

Originally posted by chevy
DVD Player sould be able to run in background without glitch even with a "normal" iMac, not needing a dual 1GHz machine.

Cut-Paste from DVD Player to iMove.

iWatch: the equivalent of iTunes for DVDs, with mpeg encoding (instead of mp3) or divx (instead of AAC).

Clean audio input recording inside iTunes (for my old 30 cm discs).
Video input recording inside iWatch (to record my favorite TV series, or NACSAR races).

A remote control.

This together with the new 30" screen will replace my TV, my CD player, my VCR and my DVD player.

YES. These features would be perfect :) I always wanted to have a radio biult into my computer too, satellite radio mabye? I do a lot of listening while I am at my computer, and iTunes radio software would rock. Basically I think apple should really take the "digital lifestyle" idea and run with. You could record the audio from the news, have it dl to your ipod; record the 5 am news, have the computer wake you up and then automatically play it... stuff like that would rock.

Hulkaros,

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post. I can see why having the ability to turn the option on or off in System Preferences would be easier. But I believe you have to be logged in as root to change open firmware parameters. So although you can do it from the terminal, I don't think it's possible to do from the GUI. That's why Apple gave us the 'special' utility.

Chris

What exactly is open firmware? Is firmware the software that controls the hardware? I thought that was wat is was, but what is the open firmware... It's been comin up a lot recently.
thanks

Open Firmware is like the BIOS on a PC, except that is an IEEE standard (www.openfirmware.org) that is processor and operating system independent. Apple's Open Firmware home page is at http://bananajr6000.apple.com/

On the Mac, the Open Firmware code is part of the BootROM on the motherboard. The BootROM has two primary responsibilities: to initialize system hardware and to select an operating system to boot.

When you first turn on a Mac, the Power-On Self Test initializes some hardware interfaces and verifies that sufficient RAM memory is available and is in a good state. Then, Open Firmware initializes the rest of the hardware, builds the initial device tree (a hierarchical representation of devices associated with the computer), and selects the operating system to use.

...or two :D

1. When we use the Show more Info at Finder's windows we should really SEE MORE info like:
-The size in pixels of ALL images and not just 1 or 2 types (example: GIF)
-The time of all sound based files and not just of 1 or 2 types
-MORE info in general for ALL kind of files...

2. Also, other than the ability to include themes I think that we all need the ability also to change colors in ANY theme and not like now, where we are able to change only selection colors and stuff... And of course I mean more colors than the Graphite or Aqua colors :mad:

I don't think i've seen these much in this list. These either haven't been mentioned, or i agree with strongly:

1a. Better afp/smb browsing and usage. Navigating a largish peer-to-peer network of smb shares is quite frankly awful. I know the current method is basically a graphical off-shoot of how unix does it internally, but (and this is the only time i'm gonna say this) why not nick the 'Network Neighborhood' from MS...it was a really nice thing. Make it even better though :) Put it in Computer -> Network. Easy. Also, i've had a couple of file corruptions when transferring large files over smb. Not sure who's fault that is though...

1b. Better FTP support. It's unusable at the moment.

2. Window shade. Tried it. Loved it.

3. Virtual terminals. Invaluable. If something crashes and most stuff freezes, get to another terminal and kill it! It'd save many a needless reboot.

4. Customisable network Locations. I wanna be able to run a shell/AppleScript when I change location. It'd be mighty useful. Kinda like a run-level, except not so drastic.

5. Applications in the apple menu. To launch an app that ain't in the Dock, you can either open the Applications folder in Finder and leave a window open, or put your Apps folder in the dock, where right-clicking gives you a pop-up menu of apps. The former is ridiculously inefficient, the latter is slooow at showing the contents of the folder, as it seems to read through the whole thing every time. Basically, I want an Apple-made FruitMenu.

6. Menu Bar clock shows date. It's not hard. Do it.

7. ShutdownItems. Nuff said.

8. PHP included with apache. Maybe...an hour's work, max. Small thing to do, huge gain. Non-geeky users need never know it's there.

9. Package Manager. The amount of times i've wanted to remove a .pkg file is huge. I found an app to do it, but this is basic functionality that needs to be implemented.

10. More descriptive media icons. I think they exist, but they're not used for some reason.

11. '+' button should maximise. I know this is not typical MacOS behaiviour, but the 'make a bit bigger' thing is just silly.

There are a couple of other things, but they are more to do with specific apps.

'+' button should maximise. I know this is not typical MacOS behaiviour, but the 'make a bit bigger' thing is just silly.

This should definitely NOT be done. The '+' button is not a "make it a bit bigger" button. It is a "show me all of this" button. If it doesn't work right, complain to the application developer. The OS does not, and should not, control the behavior of this button.

Chris

Originally posted by chabig
This should definitely NOT be done. The '+' button is not a "make it a bit bigger" button. It is a "show me all of this" button. If it doesn't work right, complain to the application developer. The OS does not, and should not, control the behavior of this button.

Chris

OK, fair point. I guess I'm just used to the Windows way of working (dec-2002 switcher). Many apps, however, don't behave predictably. You are right, though: that ain't an OS thing no more. In Windows, it is.

I'm sure I had something else to add. SCP would be nice in the same vein as the aformentioned SMB/AFP interface, but that's not the big thing i thought of.

I agree with the directory up button in the Finder. It isn't the same as 'Back'.

Ah well, i'll post it if i remember. It can't have been that great.

Originally posted by burntoutjoy
8. PHP included with apache. Maybe...an hour's work, max. Small thing to do, huge gain. Non-geeky users need never know it's there.
PHP is in there, you just have to enable it... See the Mac Addict October 2002 issue (I believe) for how to do this.

I had a thought, how about when someone posts a desired change, they tell a little about themself so we know why they want that change, like what they do or what they use X for? For example, I'm a high school senior and I use X very rarely at home, but there are certain things I want it to be able to do (like run Classic applications without a big blank area!).

Originally posted by arden

I had a thought, how about when someone posts a desired change, they tell a little about themself

ok! Well, i'm a student at UH in sunny England. I use OS X for much stuff including casual development (PHP, python), couple of games, audio sequencing, general internet stuff, and

Before December of last year, I was on Windows and Linux, so most of my proposed improvements relate to the bits I liked about those OSes, especially Linux. I expect you can work out which bits line up...

Right, quick, before I forget:

12. Aliases the same as unix symlinks. 'Classic' aliases abolished. Surely this is just an API thing. A couple of things changed, the developer doesn't notice any difference, except that aliases are now symlinks. All apps behave the same as they did...done. Now the shell likes aliases, cos they are symlinks. Another redundant Classic thing done away with (right after resource forks :)

13. When I create a new folder in a save dialogue, I wanna be able to press enter after the name, and it *always* activates the default button. Not sometimes.
Before I typed this, I've never had the desired result. It always just gave the system alert sound. But I just tried it in Safari...and it worked. Hmmm. I think it works for Cocoa apps, but not for Carbon. Well, whatever.

burntoutjoy,

I agree with you about the fact that a lot of applications don't behave predictable when you click the green '+' button.

Chris

You have a GREEN + button?

I'm a 16 yo Australian who uses MacOS X because it looks pretty, and I have to program in Codewarrior for school.

My additions:

- in Dock prefspane, have a list (drag and drop enabled, naturally) of applications that are allowed to move infront of the dock.
- turn on the ability to, after Classic is loaded, run Classic as the 'native' OS, possibly by Context menu from the Finder icon in the dock (Aqua, Classic). This would be helpful, since I share the use of the WallStreet PowerBook G3 with my dad, who despite much tutoring, can't get the hang of OSX, and only uses Classic Apps anyway - whereas I like the use of X, naturally. It'd be nice, too, if you could set each login account to use a certain OS.
Although this might seem like a bit of a backwards step, it'd help me ten-fold.
- I don't know the specifics of the technicalities of this, but I'd love to be able to connect to my Desktop PC via a 1394-network, and from what I can tell, Macs only allow themselves to be FireWire 'drives' for other Macs.
- MSN support in iChat, plus connectability to NetMeeting or Windows Messenger's Video Conf. tools, so that to have cross-platform video chats, I don't need iVisit.
- Go and have a lengthy chat with the nice folks at WACOM and have them release the drivers for ADB-tablets on OSX. Although not immediately appropriate or applicable to many, I use a WallStreet, as I stated. This is USB-less. I can't afford a USB PCMCIA card, and so I can't plug my other tablet in. That leaves me with the old one I have now. As it stands, this only works in Classic! I want it to work in OS X - so I can use my pressure sensitivity and stuff. It can't be THAT hard to port the one driver across, and it's hella useful. Plus I want access to InkWell with my ADB tablet.
- Recognise SCSI HDDs easier, even ones running OS 8.6

I would like the system prefernces window (unsure about the proper english name, see attachment) to work more like the toolbar. It would be nice to be able to switch to an icons onli mode, cuz then the window would take up much less space. Now all the long filenames makes it look ugly. Like when i got a bluetooth dongel, it pushed the keyboard icon down a step and that leaves a lot of unused space that just annoys me :)
But maybe this doesnt happen a lot on the english version since you often have shorter names.

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
Dear God, has this thread died already?

Another feature I think would be very well received is window resizing from any side. Yes, I know Windows does this already, and yes, I know we can (or used to be able to) drag a window from any side (which should return IMO), but I'd like to see Apple implement a way to resize windows from a side or the top holding down one of the (4) modifier keys. I could drag a small window to the bottom of the screen and hold down Command to resize it to the top. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Giaguara
- Text editor: ability to save also in other formats, such as .html, .php, .js, .plist
Oh, but you can already do this. :D Open TextEdit and save the file, but replace ".txt" with whatever you want. You should change to plain text first though.

<window resizing from any side>

No please... I still have nightmares of windows moving and resizing anywhere and anyway just because I tried to click in the wrong place.

Two most useful things: windowshade and classes. I need them back (meanwhile, I thank Unsanity...)

Back