Some changes for 10.3

Originally posted by koim
Aha, cool. But this is also accessible through a menu item. I want a simple button that will take you up one directory.

Use Apple-Up Arrow

Remember, everything is about options. We should have options to do anything. That's what much of this thread is about.

Originally posted by arden
Remember, everything is about options. We should have options to do anything. That's what much of this thread is about.

And any other thread here in macosx.com, isn't it?

However, the given options must NOT overwhelm one's mind! Keep options simple if that's possible Apple :rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by hulkaros
And any other thread here in macosx.com, isn't it?
Not necessarily, many (most perhaps) are troubleshooting threads.
However, the given options must NOT overwhelm one's mind! Keep options simple if that's possible Apple :rolleyes: :D
This is true, we should have options for everything, but some of those options should be a little harder to find than others; they should be in places that the people who need them will be able to find, and not necessarily regular people.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so excuse any duplicates.

Things I'd love to see in 10.3:

1. An option for multiple docks (ex. - one on side of screen for folders, another on the bottom for apps - I have this now with A-dock, but it would be nice if it was built in)

2. Windowshading (Something that was part of the system in classic shouldn't be a shareware option under OS X)

3. Systemwide bookmarking (I use several different browsers and it would be great if I could have the same bookmarks in each one) that would be accesible for all users in a menu bar menu

4. Themes (doesn't have to be anything drastic or even flashy, just let me get rid of those darn stripes! :p )

5. Beefed up contextual menu (ala FinderPop in classic)

6. Icon customization (for new folders, trash, system icons, etc.)

7. Clock with drop down calendar or a desktop calendar option

8. iTunes menu bar integration

9. More options over the menu bar overall (ex. - the ability to turn folders into menu bar items, being able to make app menus, etc.)

:D

Before I begin, let me say that while some of the following enhancements can be done via haxies, third party apps, terminal, etc. I would like Apple to give them to us ASAP with the release of X.3... Also, I tried NOT to include something that others posted here and if I missed something don't burn me, please!

01. Additional easier OS install methods and I explain:
-Boot from CD/DVD holding C
-Agreement
-Wait
-Done ;)

While you are in 10.2 or earlier or even a troubled 10.3 version:
-Insert CD/DVD
-Drag and Drop or run the installer
-Agreement
-Wait
-Done

02. Additional advanced OS install methods and I explain:
-Boot from CD/DVD holding C
-Agreement
-Customize... EVERYTHING! :D (Hey, maybe we don't want X11, Aqua, Classic, Clock, Archive previous system, etc. :rolleyes: )
-Wait less than before ;)
-Done

03. Support for Windows NTFS

04. MUCH better scanner and printer support

05. 100% drag and drop installation for Apple apps (hey, what's the matter with all those installers Apple? :mad: )

06. MUCH better memory optimization (hey, I know that we live in the time of 256-512MB RAM but still a tiny app shouldn't use 10MB of RAM :mad: )

07. MUCH better graphics optimizations and I explain:
-In a Wintel PC running WinAmp (under Win2k/XP) I can have my desktop act as a visualization fireworks display while I run other apps
-If the Dark Side can have this at least I want our iTunes visualization fireworks work like WinAmp's (if not better)
-Also, in newer faster G4 machines the graphics work fast but still I think that Apple can give us the Aqua Extreme Plus (he he)

08. The ability to let us use/change other Linux GUIs on the fly (like KDE and others --yes I know that I can still dream)

09. MORE services and I explain:
-Let's say that I want for example to grab a person's or a company's info from Address Book... The info while is in there waiting for me, I cannot grab it for use in Word or TextEdit for example

10. Password protect from "BIOS" and not only from OS

11. MUCH better DVD Player (grrrrrr)

12. Widescreen support for iMovie, iDVD, etc.

13. FASTER load and shutdown (YES, although we all know that Macs don't have to start and shutdown THAT often)

14. Better multisession CD writing support via finder

15. iSync should be able to sync with other bluetooth devices and not only Sony Ericsson's

16. NO activation methods similar to XP crap

17. MUCH better multi-threaded Finder and I explain:
-Some times you cannot access the Finder simply because you may try to access iDisk or Servers and that SAX to say the least (grrrrr)

18. The ability to rearrange the minimized apps into the Dock

19. Fully transparent functions to the dock and desktop and I explain:
-If I have an icon under the dock or I want to resize a window under the dock I should be able to do just that
-Or the desktop icons could become transparent in order NOT to hide our cool looking desktop pictures :D

20. Minimized DVD player movie should be able to viewed into the Dock like the quicktime movies. Also, web browsers should update their contents to display their status while downloading or at least an bar indication like Toast's while burning. One other thing is that Menu items like Sound, Internet connection, etc. could be in the Dock optional like Date/Time via the Clock

21. Able to move the Dock ANYWHERE in the screen be it the top side or just float ANYWHERE... The ability to enable it or not at ANY given time (and NOT just hiding it!). The ability to be able to see multiple windows of apps separately as an option

22. The ability to customize the Function keys like in pre-OS X era if not even better customization

23. Better joystick/gamepad/wheel support

24. The Classic apps maybe via an option or something could have the Aqua treatment (I've done this via a theme under Classic but I prefer a better method straight from Apple)

25. When viewing images in the Finder using icon view, the OS should use a database file in order to show me the preview of those images ASAP and not just open the window, wait, scroll down, wait, repeat... After reboot, or a Finder freeze, repeat... This is absolute crap!

26. A defrag tool (which X mostly doesn't need BUT) even with basic default functions like:
-AV/DV usage
-Database usage
-Small files
-Large files
-etc

27. Hey, I want even as an option the amazing sounds of Classic back

28. Resize windows from ANY side or corner

29. Maximize the windows (and not just zoom them) with a simple Command+"Maximize" button or Option, or Ctrl, or Shift, or just right click on the "maximize" button

30. While we are able to have the AWESOME column view why not give us the ability to have the Column view PLUS the other views at the same time like:
-Macintosh HD is open in Column view then click on Applications which opens in column view but then I chose to view it as icons INSIDE the already opened column view. Then click in Utilities only to let it open in column view but then I chose to view it as list view inside the column view

I stop here for now, but I have MANY more suggestions for OS X but for some other time...

- Multiple desktops (change on dock)

- KDE support; change to KDE as alternative to aqua as a 'theme' on sys prefs

- Sun / KDE style clock - alternatively on dock (I'm not going to use konfub. only for a different clock)

- Spamassassin, GPG / pgp and Unix email mailbox support to mail.app (of these gpg can be added later but it'd be nicer to have it there already)

- Thread view like in mutt to mail.app.
The people in mailing lists, usegroups etc would like it.

- Filter all mails with html formatting or containing certain attachment formats to trash (can't do with 10.2)

etc.

DVD Player sould be able to run in background without glitch even with a "normal" iMac, not needing a dual 1GHz machine.

Cut-Paste from DVD Player to iMove.

iWatch: the equivalent of iTunes for DVDs, with mpeg encoding (instead of mp3) or divx (instead of AAC).

Clean audio input recording inside iTunes (for my old 30 cm discs).
Video input recording inside iWatch (to record my favorite TV series, or NACSAR races).

A remote control.

This together with the new 30" screen will replace my TV, my CD player, my VCR and my DVD player.

How about consistent keyboard shortcuts across the Apple software? Specifically, have you checked out the keyboard shortcut for Preferences..."

Safari cmd-,
Mail cmd-opt-;
iChat no shortcut
Address Book no shortcut
iCal cmd-Y
iTunes cmd-Y
Sherlock no shortcut
Finder no shortcut
iMovie cmd-,
iPhoto cmd-,
iSync no shortcut
Keynote no shortcut
Preview no shortcut
Stickies no shortcut
TextEdit no shortcut
And I didn't even go through the utilities folder.

Oh, by the way...what do the official Aqua Human Interface Guidelines say...cmd-, It's on page 55 and page 180. I do note that the three apps which use the correct shortcut have recently been released in beta or updated so I hope they're moving in the right direction, but then again Keynote doesn't follow the guidelines.

Chris

Personally, I prefer Cmd-; because I'm used to it in different programs (IE, Gameranger, etc.). I think that's an excellent idea; Apple should make all their keyboard shortcuts for features bridging programs uniform.

Originally posted by Darkshadow
hulkaros - you can password protect from Open Firmware - which is pretty much the Mac's version of BIOS.

...but I meant a MOST obvious solution to average joe out there :rolleyes:

Not to mention EASIER for the joe too ;)

Originally posted by chevy
DVD Player sould be able to run in background without glitch even with a "normal" iMac, not needing a dual 1GHz machine.

Great suggestions there Chevy :D

However, let me explain why I quoted the above one:
-I can watch DVD with an iMac G3/400/256MB Ram as my frontmost running app JUST fine
-When I put the DVD to play in the background I lose frames when I try to do some work in let's say Safari. If I try to do something heavier than Safari, let's say iMovie the thing chokes!
-In general playing DVD on old but gold iMac ( :D ) the thing at least plays it
-In an old P3/450/512 Ram running whatever version of Windows I cannot play a DVD even as the frontmost app or even the ONLY app running (both with WinDVD/PowerDVD
-The solution of course is to use a hardware DVD decoder to back the P3 up or else no DVD for that Wintel box

Oops, I carried away: What I wanted to say from the beginning was that asking from ANY computer to play DVD in the background without having problems is asking TOO much from that computer, especially if that computer is 2-3 years old (or older :eek: )...

PS.I was trying to make a Celeron 700/512RAM/GeForce4-ti4200-64MB/SB Live 5.1/80GB-7200 HD/etc. the other day run DVDs without a problem under Windows XP PRO + SP1 (both with WinDVD/PowerDVD) but guess what? Even as the one and only app the Wintel box could not play the movies without losing frames or scratching the sound or make the sound playing with a water effect :confused:

Hulkaros,

If you think the average PC user even knows what BIOS is, how to get to it, or how to edit its settings, I would have to disagree with you. Turning on open firmware password protection on the Mac is no more difficult, and provides the same functionality as password protecting from BIOS. What effect are trying to achieve?

Well, he has a small point - most PC computers have an option to go into the BIOS when it's booting up (you have to be quick to see the prompt in most cases), but you have to read through docs to figure out how to boot with Open Firmware on Macs - and who the heck reads docs? ;)

I don't think it's all that difficult, but I think anyone who uses it for password protection - BIOS or Open Firmware - is pretty paranoid. :D

Originally posted by chabig
Hulkaros,

If you think the average PC user even knows what BIOS is, how to get to it, or how to edit its settings, I would have to disagree with you. Turning on open firmware password protection on the Mac is no more difficult, and provides the same functionality as password protecting from BIOS. What effect are trying to achieve?

Well, I never said that BIOS or OpenFirmware is something easy for the average joe... I simply said exactly the opposite! Read carefully my previous posts and you will see it clearly ;)

However, I said that for ME is an easy thing to do anyways or for many people around here :D

For me this could be an option accesible via the System Preferences (or any other GUI method) which more or less is easy for everyone to use, be it master or padawan :rolleyes:

Excuse me if my (ab)use of english gave you a mindjob :eek:

Originally posted by Darkshadow
Well, he has a small point - most PC computers have an option to go into the BIOS when it's booting up (you have to be quick to see the prompt in most cases), but you have to read through docs to figure out how to boot with Open Firmware on Macs - and who the heck reads docs? ;)

I don't think it's all that difficult, but I think anyone who uses it for password protection - BIOS or Open Firmware - is pretty paranoid. :D

...others around him are paranoid! ;) Have you ever had your Mac/Wintel formatted or something, simply because your friend or relative or someone close to you in general, wanted to experiment with your computer while you were at vacation or something? Then you already know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

Others think that this is one of the best ways to protect your computer from thieves but I think that this trick can protect you from the worst form of enemy: The one within your inner circle of people you know and trust the most :D

Back