Some changes for 10.3

Use column view. ;)

No, really, it's a cool view to browse your computer for anything. And if you get used to it, you'll be much faster with your Finder and won't miss some OS9-iness any longer.

I prefer another type of columns (don't get me wrong, i like the columns... but there is a better way): first column should the the path, second columns the current folder content and the third column the icon or/and thumbnail of the current file.

This makes possible in one click to go back any number of levels, and keeps clarity in the window that is always 3 columns, no need for horizontal scolling.

I've made an example below.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
That looks about like what we've got now. In fact, I don't like it though because it really doesn't show the path in the column you labelled as such. It just shows which disk the file is on.

I originally thought you were going to post a picture of the windows explorer!

Chris

Yes, it's near to the current one, but modified so that we have the full path on the left pane. For this example, the path is short (World:iMac:Applications), but it can be longer... (World:iMac:Users:Me:Documents:My_Documents:Foo) and it is the path. I added the level "World" to be able to have several servers and/or disks (World:iDisk) or (World:ftp.apple.com).

No I don't like explorer, which is mix of two list views, the left one hierarchical, the right one flat for the current folder, with the file info stuck between the two panes... eeerk. I prefer a real and simple path on the left, and the content on the right.

Originally posted by chevy
No I don't like explorer, which is mix of two list views, the left one hierarchical, the right one flat for the current folder, with the file info stuck between the two panes... eeerk. I prefer a real and simple path on the left, and the content on the right.
That is nice, but I was thinking that your method is strikingly like Windows has it... although it's better implemented and it looks extremely useful.

I still think there needs to be a way in Column view to view the contents of multiple subdirectories of the same folder simultaneously. For example, if you wanted to look at your JPEGs and your MP3s in your User Documents folder... This can be handy for moving files/folders between different things, or for opening multiple files in different locations at the same time. How would you modify your column view to satisfy this?

or for opening multiple files in different locations at the same time. How would you modify your column view to satisfy this?

What if the rightmost column in column view could be viewed as icons, a list, or just a column? Wouldn't that satisfy everyone's desires?

Originally posted by arden
That is nice, but I was thinking that your method is strikingly like Windows has it... although it's better implemented and it looks extremely useful.

I still think there needs to be a way in Column view to view the contents of multiple subdirectories of the same folder simultaneously. For example, if you wanted to look at your JPEGs and your MP3s in your User Documents folder... This can be handy for moving files/folders between different things, or for opening multiple files in different locations at the same time. How would you modify your column view to satisfy this?

I would make an optional horizontal cut in the window, and have a second path, folder content and file descrition below the cut. That's basically equivalent to open two windows... but both in one. It's a kind of split window.

Originally posted by chabig
What if the rightmost column in column view could be viewed as icons, a list, or just a column? Wouldn't that satisfy everyone's desires?

I think the right one should remain a description and it could include more than the current one, it could include the whole info data (like calling info menu), but left and middle one could be customized, even if i am not sure this is easier to navigate. Left must be a list, but it can be displayed as text only, icons only, or a mix of both. Middle is basically the current finder window, therefore it can be icons, list, hierarchical...

The rightmost column could actually be similar to Get Info window :D with Preview enabled by default when multimedia files are selected ;) and also give us the ability to view even the contents of Aliases (did I spell it correctly :confused: ) via options...

Anyways, I have many many ideas for my ideal version of Mac OS X 10.3 but this is a story for some other time...

Originally posted by hulkaros
even the contents of Aliases (did I spell it correctly :confused: ) ...
Yes.
Anyways, I have many many ideas for my ideal version of Mac OS X 10.3 but this is a story for some other time...
Well, this is the perfect place for that story, please tell it when the time is right. :)

Here's my list...

1- I know Apple sanctioned themes will never happen, but since the Metal GUI is so prevelant now, why not give us the option to use it system wide? Let us choose between Aqua or Metal for the entire UI and apps.

2-Open/Save dialogs need to be beefed up. Borrowing some ideas from Default Folder would be nice (ability to rename, move, copy, etc), as would having addt'l options of arranging files in open/save boxes, like you were able to do in OS 9.

3-Consolidated appearances. It makes no sense to have your appearance settings divided between three system prefs - Desktop, General and Dock. They should all reside in one "Appearance" pref (along with the ability to change between Metal & Aqua).

4-Give us the ability to turn off "tool tips" for the dock. I'd also like the option to give them a background color, so they stand out better against applications it obscures. The dock works fine for beginners, but it could use some advanced features (that would be turned off by default) that would make it more configurable.

5-Jaguar went a long way to reducing the spinning beach ball problem. Let's kill this phenomenen once and for all in Panther.

6-Borrow from WindowsXP and allow for a "quick logout", which leaves a users programs running while someone else logs in. It's a cool feature, and if WinXP has it, so should OS X.

7-Better Finder customization. Take a cue from Path Finder. Give us the ability to change typeface in all views, background colors in all views. Bring back row seperators, etc. Better yet - buy Path Finder from Cocoatech and use that as the basis for Panthers Finder. This would also return Finder Labels to the Finder, which is still sorely missed.

8-Fix the Carbon toolbox so all apps (carbon & cocoa) can read/write 256 character file names.

9-Fix FTPing from the Finder. I've yet to get it to work.

10-Give us more options when creating PDFs from the "Print" dialog box. We should be able to control the level of compression. Otherwise, it's an almost useless feature.

11-Give us a real means to lock down our computer - not this half baked solution of enabling a screensaver with password protection. That eats up CPU cycles. I want a basic dialog box that says "this machine is locked" with the desktop showing from behind. This will allow me to start a render, lock my machine and go to lunch, and not lose CPU cylcles to the screensaver.

12-Give us back the ability to print finder window contents easily. This shouldn't require a 3rd party utility or having to produce a screen capture to accomplish.

13-Bring back "Single Application Mode", a feature that was touted in the Public Beta. Allow it to be turned on/off from the Apple Menu (this in turn could be enabled from the "Appearance" system pref.)

14-iChat - give us the ability to video conference with it.

15-Screen Effects. It would be nice to have a screensaver that allows you to choose a graphic (PDF,TIF,JPG), select some text, and let the items float around the screen. Much like the Apple screensaverr, but with customized text & graphics.

16-Enhance TextEdit. It will already give you a WYSIWYG preview of HTML text. Go one step further and make TexEdit a HTML WYSIWYG editor. Nothing complex like Dreamweaver, but some basics WYSIWYG tools (type styles, img, tables, etc). The Public Beta of OS X came with a alpha quality HTML tool that could serve as the starting point.

17-Simplified Font Management. Auto activiation/deactiviation. 'Nuf said.

18-Replace the built in Help systems HTML viewer with WebCore. This should improve the Help viewer and speed it up ten fold.

19-Give us a basic Backup tool. Something that doesn't require a user to be a .Mac subscriber, and doesn't require 'net access to check if you are or not.

20-Basic HD defrag utility. Again, Windows has had it since Win98, why doesn't OS X?

Here are some things I find sorely missing in OSX:

1. Ability to rename/replace files from the save dialog. Now you have to type in the name of the original file, that?s a waste of time.

2. Better use of contextual menus.
Especially thinking of the desktop, in OS9 i could clean up the desktop in 2 secs. by just right clicking anywhere and selecting "clean up".

3. "One directory up" button in the finder toolbar. C?mon! That?s annoying!

4. Cut and paste file management.
What?s the point of just being able to copy something. Now I have to go back and delete the original file if I use this method.

1. Ability to rename/replace files from the save dialog. Now you have to type in the name of the original file, that?s a waste of time.

Are you thinking of Save As...? I hadn't noticed this behavior because if I don't want to change the name, I use Save, not Save As...

3. "One directory up" button in the finder toolbar. C?mon! That?s annoying!

This is already there. That's exactly what the back button does. The back button is not in the default toolbar, but that's what customization if for. Go to View -> Customize Toolbar and put the button in your toolbar.

Chris

Finally, thank you! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to come from this thread. No OS is or ever will be perfect, but with suggestions like these we can work on achieving perfection in our fave.

What I want to do is turn all of these suggestions into a database on my website using PHP and MySQL, where people can vote if they like a change or not, and suggest new changes in a form. The problem: I know little about PHP, and less about MySQL. If anyone would like to help me in this endeavor, I welcome any suggestions/code.

Originally posted by chabig
Are you thinking of Save As...? I hadn't noticed this behavior because if I don't want to change the name, I use Save, not Save As...

No, I mean that when you click a file in the save dialog, it?s name automatically dislpays in the "save as" field.

This is already there. That's exactly what the back button does. The back button is not in the default toolbar, but that's what customization if for. Go to View -> Customize Toolbar and put the button in your toolbar.

Chris

No, the back button doesn?t necessarily do that. If you access some directories that aren?t hieracherly placed (did I spell it right?). You will simply go to the last folder you were in.

Originally posted by koim
No, the back button doesn?t necessarily do that. If you access some directories that aren?t hieracherly placed (did I spell it right?). You will simply go to the last folder you were in.

...troubles, or so I think :rolleyes: :
-Press Apple (command) + Click in the title bar and...
Boom! Here lies the hierarchy of your folders ;)

However, I would like this to be available by:
-Hold Click
-Right Click
-Ctrl Click

:D

Aha, cool. But this is also accessible through a menu item. I want a simple button that will take you up one directory.

Thanks koim - you reminded me of a point I'd forgotten about...

Contextual menus in the Finder need to have "Clean Up" and "Arrange by..." added back. Why these were removed I'll never know, but they are sorely missed.

Again, 99% of the Finder's issues could be resolved if Apple would hire Steve Gehrman and buy Path Finder. This guy, all by himself, has outdone what the entire OS X Finder team at Apple has done. He should be on the Apple payroll.

Originally posted by koim
Aha, cool. But this is also accessible through a menu item. I want a simple button that will take you up one directory.

Customize the toolbar to include the Path Button which enables you to have the hierarchy on the toolbar without having to click this and that ;)

I think the up one level only button is somewhat false method because you actually don't know where exactly you will land after clicking it (this mostly will happen if your workflow is somewhat speedy)... However, no problem with me if Apple will include it as an option :D

Back