Some changes for 10.3

>>multicomputer environment
That can be fixed even though Apple hasn't given us an auto logout option for people using network home folders. There is a freeware app called Logout 0.1 and you can also find some applescripts that will logout when the screensaver is activated at macosxlabs.org in the forums

>>But not at the cost of performance.
Of course it's going to use a lot of resources, it's like multilple people usign the computer simultaneously. On XP it is quite usable most of the times. Sometimes it is dog slow so I have to log the other people out. Either way I still think it should be in there.

UNIX has the underpinnings to do this so there should not be much of an issue for Apple to implement it.

Pretend than on the OSX machine 'Tiger', there are the users fred and bill. Fred logs in and then in a terminal window, bill can be given that terminal window with:

$ su - bill
password:

And now Bill can read his mail. All applications can be opened on the command line, so theoretically Bill could then type:

open /Applications/Mail

and be able to read his mail.

But no, Bill doesn't have his own environment (ie. what the Aqua GUI is running as ... etc...). Perhaps this could be tied in with my 'virtual desktops' suggestion.

:p

Cheers,

brooke

Originally posted by bbos

But no, Bill doesn't have his own environment (ie. what the Aqua GUI is running as ... etc...). Perhaps this could be tied in with my 'virtual desktops' suggestion.

[/B]

omg yes!

I'd never thought of it, but it would be awesome. I'm thinking *graphical* virtual terminals (à la {uni | linu}x). So something like [ctrl]+[option]+[f[1-7]] would swap between different graphical screens. With (definitely) a little reminder virtual desktop-style thinger on screen showing you what's going on on the different consoles.

The only (huge) problem I can see is that it'd drain processor cycles + memory like nothing you've ever seen unless Apple did a very good job of programming it. Which I'm sure they would if it was going in a final release of OS X.

The thing is, it really doesn't sound like something Apple'd implement. You know they want everything super-duper-easy for the user to do...well some might argue that this switching might be confusing for the user (all together now...*ahhhhhhh*). Of course it could be off by default, but I dunno. It's a great idea, but it seems very un-Apple.

Discuss.

No, it wouldn't have to drain processor power that much. Basically, the hidden graphical consoles could be, well, hidden. The apps would act like hidden apps do.

A single Dock item could provide the graphical feedback, and what do we see? An application could do this. No need for Apple to implement it, as it could be done by a good free-/shareware author.

Or am I forgetting something?

Originally posted by fryke
No, it wouldn't have to drain processor power that much. Basically, the hidden graphical consoles could be, well, hidden. The apps would act like hidden apps do.

A single Dock item could provide the graphical feedback, and what do we see? An application could do this. No need for Apple to implement it, as it could be done by a good free-/shareware author.

Or am I forgetting something?

Well, memory.

And for it to be efficient and all that, it'd probably be better to be implemented at the WindowServer (or whatever runs just on top of Quartz) level. Otherwise someone'd have to log on before you could switch virtual GUIs, which seems clumsy to me. We're talking a *whole environment* per user - menu bar, dock, desktop, Finder, everything.

Processor cycles probably wouldn't be stolen too much, but I'm sure memory would be rapidly eaten by maybe 4 loads of virtual GUI.

...would like to see included in Panther:
- Widescreen support in iLife apps and across the GUI in general
- The ability to copy CDs that have many multi-functional CDs like Audio & Data CD in the same physical CD disk (example: console games, custom CDs)
- The use of included (if any) mic and speakers as a phone device, especially with use for Bluetooth mobile phones and not only

If I'm double posting to any of the above, I apologize...

That's what I think. What Apple have provided us is a basic DVD player application with no features. It only plays Dolby Digital, leaving discs encoded with DTS to be played silently and then the frame rate to run at 3fps. Where is the pan and scan? If a movie is in the aspect ration 2.35:1, I prefer to pan and scan it so that it fills up a 16:9 monitor. Where is that? Where is the digital zoom? There's plenty of features Apple could add; use PowerDVD XP 4.0 for PC as an example. It has everything. One thing I've also noticed is that with the Apple DVD Player if things move fast the picture breaks up slightly (lines). If anyone has Blade II there is a perfect example. As said by others, picture break up is more noticable in animations (flat coloured, like cartoons). COME ON APPLE! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!

Yes!!! Multiple user logins like Windows XP. This way we can change users on teh computer (eg. to check email) then log out without having to close my work. A hibernate option would be useful also (saves everything in RAM to hard disk space then turns the computer off. This way when you turn the computer on again it was like it was never off). This is handy for when I transport my iMac.

Veljo is not talking about a RAM disk. Some PCs can copy the contents of RAM to special place on the hard drive before they shut down. Then when they reboot, the use that to restore RAM to exactly the way it was before shutdown. All apps and docs open as before, same windows, as if it was never shut down.

It's kind of like sleep, except the computer is actually shut down, requiring no power at all. It can stay shut down down for weeks or years and will reboot to the same state. Of course, this isn't so useful for laptops which have a battery to maintain sleep as you transport the machine around. But this could let you save your desktop, unplug it, move it, and reboot to the same condition it was in.

OS X doesn't have RAM disks, by the way. It's not necessary since OS X manages RAM automatically.

...or fix if you prefer...

When we have a minimized app, say a browser, we should see its contents update in real time or even with a timer setting instead of having to restore it then view the changes...

Or when we minimize, say iChat, while we are logged in and then we disconnect from the net, the minimized ichat window remains as if it never disconnected...

I think Apple must enhance this minimized behavior in general, so in order to have the minimized DVD player window (and similar apps) to display their graphics in real time...

So, after all said and done, apps should minimize and stay minimized correctly displaying their contents all of the time :rolleyes:

As for Hibernate support if Apple will include such a feature at least I hope that it will improve it because my experience with Wintels so far it showed that Hibernate works 50%-50% plus it is a slow process... In the end depending on the apps you have loaded at given time may actually lead the system to Hibernate On/Off like if you turn it off then turn it on...

Hmm, Quicktime Player will show the movie playing still when you minimize the window. Though it's difficult to see the movie that's playing after that. :p

Found that out by accident - was meaning to resize the window and minimized it by accident.

Hibernate doesn't make much sense, as the sleep function of Apple's 'Books is incredibly good. Sure, it would make some sense for the PowerMacs, but I'd rather have them speed up the boot process. Plus: Sleep is good on the PowerMacs, too.

Originally posted by Darkshadow
Hmm, Quicktime Player will show the movie playing still when you minimize the window. Though it's difficult to see the movie that's playing after that. :p

Found that out by accident - was meaning to resize the window and minimized it by accident.

Yes, QT will play the movies while minimized just fine! But not VLC, DVD Player and other Video related apps... The same with Browsers and some other "specialized" apps which refuse to let us see their contents updated real-time or even every now and then... :mad: For those apps I would like Apple to update the minimize function in order not to have a single app not showing its content while minimized! :D

If you want to view better the minimized apps in the Dock enable Magnification from System Preferences - Dock... And while you are there go to Universal Access and Turn On the Zoom function... Then minimize any app into the Dock... move with your mouse to that minimized app... Press Command + Option + Plus (+) key... Enjoy! If you want press Plus (+) some more! :p After you are bored press Command + Option + Minus (-) key... Press the Minus (-) some more! Feeling back to normal!? :rolleyes:

Command = Apple key
Option = Alt key

Enjoy! :)

Originally posted by fryke
Hibernate doesn't make much sense, as the sleep function of Apple's 'Books is incredibly good. Sure, it would make some sense for the PowerMacs, but I'd rather have them speed up the boot process. Plus: Sleep is good on the PowerMacs, too.

100% true! And also, they should improve the Shut Down process... But the Boot process needs a major boost! Any improvement above 50% of the current speed it will be just ok! :rolleyes:

I can dream... Can't I? :p :D :) ;)

chabig: My bad.

Yes, Apple definitely should a level of dynamicism to the Dock and speed up startup/shutdown times. If I could afford it, I'd pay very big bucks for a Mac that would start up faster than anyone could imagine and never crash, ever, guaranteed.

However, hibernation might be a good option for people who open up lots of applications at one time, especially things like Photoshop that take a long time to open, because one could return to the state he was in before without having to open up every program, document, etc. or worry about saving a file before closing it. Maybe I have something very tedious I'm working on and I'm not sure I want to keep all the changes I am making, but I need to move my computer? Who knows what could happen... or has.

Back