Some changes for 10.4

I'd like to see a free application, possibly as part of iLife, that lets you use your Mac's microphone and speakers to dial telephones over the Internet. Telephone sound quality isn't that great to begin with, so this would be possible even over 56K.

Remember, these are changes that we'd like to see built right into the operating system. Many of the things people suggest here are achievable with 3rd-party apps/hacks, but we'd like these features without having to rely on external sources.

I'd like to see Mail re-arranged to work like iTunes and get rid of the folders / mailboxes draw.

I find the folders / mailboxes draw to be clunky and awkward. Unless you only get one email a week, you're _always_ going to have the draw open, right?

Arden said:
I'd like to see a free application, possibly as part of iLife...

You know, Arden, you got me thinking. Apple have a damn good OS, they can pull feature sets together in weeks what would take Microsoft months if not years to do.

What about desktop-level clustering?

Sounds bonkers, but think about it. Apple have made a consumer version of UNIX although you'd never know it unless you need it, or you were looking for it, it's that well hidden.

What about building on the work done with Xcode with regards to compiling across a network and build this kind of functionality into all of their major processor-hungry applications like Final Cut Express / Pro, iMove and iTunes.

Apple could do this kind of thing in such a way that you'd never know it was there. So any idle macs on a network get used automatically .. even over AirPort!

They could roll this out as a bunch of API's and let other developers build it into their applications.

Imagine Adobe using it for PhotoShop and After Effects.

Now _that's_ a feature I would like to see in 10.4, and I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility...

Add in the native qt/mac package now that it is out- it would make things alot easyer to port some *nix apps to mac, something which, I think, they have said is their goal to help (somewhat) along.

Trillian said:
Add in the native qt/mac package now that it is out- it would make things alot easyer to port some *nix apps to mac, something which, I think, they have said is their goal to help (somewhat) along.

That's a long-standing wish of mine; for Apple to cozy up to Linux / Unix a little more and make sure that mac is nothing more than a re-compile away...

I was reading an article yesterday from the I, Cringely web site. He was making prognostications for 2004.

Prediction #5 states that Linux either grows or dies[!]

What! I'm no Linux expert, nor am I a real fan, but to say Linux will die is just plain ridiculous. He simply _must_ be flame baiting.

I doubt that it will die, just because of the fact that it is free, and there for very popular with developing contreys(sp?). It is also fairly easy to use, as long as you find a distro that suits you.

Trillian said:
I doubt that it will die, just because of the fact that it is free, and there for very popular with developing contreys(sp?). It is also fairly easy to use, as long as you find a distro that suits you.

Exactly!

The developer community alone would / will keep Linux chugging along for years to come.

The only death I see is their ambitions for desktop parity with Windows, I don't see that happening. Linux is too much of a tinkerer's OS to be able to get the kind of consistency needed to make any substantial in-roads.

Anyway [I keep doing this with every thread I infect with my madness]. What was the topic of this thread again?..

octane said:
You know, Arden, you got me thinking. Apple have a damn good OS, they can pull feature sets together in weeks what would take Microsoft months if not years to do.

What about desktop-level clustering?

Sounds bonkers, but think about it. Apple have made a consumer version of UNIX although you'd never know it unless you need it, or you were looking for it, it's that well hidden.

What about building on the work done with Xcode with regards to compiling across a network and build this kind of functionality into all of their major processor-hungry applications like Final Cut Express / Pro, iMove and iTunes.

Apple could do this kind of thing in such a way that you'd never know it was there. So any idle macs on a network get used automatically .. even over AirPort!

They could roll this out as a bunch of API's and let other developers build it into their applications.

Imagine Adobe using it for PhotoShop and After Effects.

Now _that's_ a feature I would like to see in 10.4, and I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility...
Bryce 5 (and probably other 3D apps) has the ability to do network rendering. If Apple integrated something like that into its applications (where appropriate: you don't need 5 computers on a network to rip MP3's), it could attract even more people to switch.

And the topic is changes you'd like to see built into the OS (really, anything out of the box, including iApps, Safari, etc.) in 10.4.

Arden said:
And the topic is changes you'd like to see built into the OS (really, anything out of the box, including iApps, Safari, etc.) in 10.4.

I know, but I just couldn't resist!.. :rolleyes:

Actually, thinking about it, I'd like Mail to let you right / control click on a link in a message and give you the option to open a link in a new tab in an existing window in Safari.

Also, for Mail to be a little more intelligent; when you're in the Sent folder, the initial search criteria is 'to' and any other folder is set to 'from'. Small, I know, but they would really pick things up for me...

Does that qualify?

octane said:
Actually, thinking about it, I'd like Mail to let you right / control click on a link in a message and give you the option to open a link in a new tab in an existing window in Safari.
What happens if you drag a link to the Safari icon in the Dock? Does it open in a new tab, a new window, or the current window/tab? Not being a Mail.app user, I wouldn't know. ;)

Arden said:
What happens if you drag a link to the Safari icon in the Dock? Does it open in a new tab, a new window, or the current window/tab? Not being a Mail.app user, I wouldn't know. ;)

Same tab, same window :(

But dragging & dropping isn't the best way to do that kind of thing, especially when you have a very crowded screen like I have...

What about some blogging tools built right into Safari that then link into your blog on your .Mac account?

Tie all of that in with iPhoto and all of the other stuff. Then get iChat to link into it, also. So you could use iChat to blog 'live'...

Oh, it doesn't bother me, I've been known to derail threads in the past. It's just that the mods tend to yell at me when I do so.

I would like to see QuickTime support for more native codecs (ogg, and and a real DivX codec). Plus, I would love for iChat to support more than AIM. Also, I would love Apple to update their speech and speech recognition. I would LOVE Apple to take a demanding lead into speech on the computer platform.

Plus, add my voice to a better integration toward the *nix* and Linux application recompile.

Maybe they could ship it with some basic *nix proggys like gimp, at the very least. I know that if they fully supported recompiling *nix apps to run native, then I would probably spend more time on os X, and a lot less on linux.

(apple, are you listening? ;) )

Trillian said:
Maybe they could ship it with some basic *nix proggys like gimp, at the very least. I know that if they fully supported recompiling *nix apps to run native, then I would probably spend more time on os X, and a lot less on linux.

(apple, are you listening? ;) )

Personally, I think you're going to see that [I may have said as much earlier in this thread]

Not fully understanding the intricacies of all of this, but in my mind, Apple are always going to make more of a feature of X11. For a start, it has usable UI, so 10.4 could come with OpenOffice pre-installed.

For every new version of OS X, we see more up-to-date versions of the underlying Unix components.

So now Apple have fleshed out the mechanics, they may spend more time adding in the toys that you're looking for!

I'd like it to come with Fink and FinkCommander pre-installed or with a usable version of DarwinPorts ... with all the re-compiling going on from X11 to Qt, we might rather see some KDE apps or otherwise some Java ports (like neo-office).
The "native" OpenOffice in 2006 with OS X 10.6 is not something I'm going to wait for ...

Who said this thread was dead?

Looks like someone was listening to me:

Xgrid could spawn "Resource Sharing" feature in Mac OS X.4: Although Apple is only in the preliminary stages of development on features for the next major release of Mac OS X, internal company documents recently acquired by Rumors outline a potential implementation of Apple's Xgrid clustering technology for personal use under the name "Resource Sharing."

Resource Sharing would a simplified Xgrid configuration, targeted toward consumer use. Simply enable Resource Sharing on your spare computer(s) and connect them to the network (100Mbps required/Gigabit preferred). Your Master computer will then automatically seek to offload work to these ad-hoc cluster nodes whenever this will result in faster performance for the Master system. It will be months yet before features are finalized for OS X.4, but Resource Sharing might well be one of its greatest selling points....

Go to: MacRumors

Back