Some changes for 10.4

Alright, let me throw something out here. I think apple should work with open office and get it to a good working version in Aqua. Then they should integrate it into 10.4. Sorry, but Apple works sucks on most levels, and open office is a great program. Steve said in the keynote that iLife was MS Office for the rest of your life, so why not get a great office app with the OS (appleworks wont do it) and have OS X be your whole life, without have to pay hundreds for MS software?

nmm88 said:
Alright, let me throw something out here. I think apple should work with open office and get it to a good working version in Aqua. Then they should integrate it into 10.4. Sorry, but Apple works sucks on most levels, and open office is a great program. Steve said in the keynote that iLife was MS Office for the rest of your life, so why not get a great office app with the OS (appleworks wont do it) and have OS X be your whole life, without have to pay hundreds for MS software?

Apple are reportedly working on a seriously big update / overhaul to AppleWorks. The remour is that the new version may well be kOffice or similar.

If you scour Mac Rumors and / or Mac OS Rumors you'll find something floating around.

I think for Apple to do something like that would be pretty dangerous, given Microsoft could get the huff on and take its toys home.

And before you say; 'so what? Big deal!' for me, it IS a big deal. My business relies on Microsoft Office X. I think it's great and it just works, which is more than can be said for the pc version [much to the annoyance of my pc friends...]

I would also like Apple FIX the Networking aspects of Panther. Very large networking was broke by Panther. If you do believe then you have not been in a large corporate network environment or haven't been reading the Apple Discussion Boards. 10.2 networking in large environments was SO MUCH EASIER than 10.3s.

Just try to connect to more than 10 servers but have to remember that servers IP address to mount the server so you can download and upload content. The new Finder Network button does not mount servers. It only surfs the server. So try to interact with the server you must mount it via command-k, but know the full server name (which the Finder Network pane DOES NOT TELL YOU).

This is fine in a home network but just try to connect to any of the hundred servers in your company (or college) and see what I mean. You will have to memorize that particular server's IP address or full server name. With hundreds of servers that's a challenge.

Apple please bring back Jaguars networking ability. The Next guys are taking the easy out of the Apple networking. They brought to OS X Panther the Windows style of networking! The old OS 9 Chooser was a way better networking solution.

Edit: This is Apple's instructions on panther networking. However, This page points out the glaring differences in the easiness of Jaguar networking compared to Panther's networking.

Make the screensaver option for view my photos randomly thorugh subfolders work again.
A pref pane for internet protocols.
Expose - an option to make one corner cycle thorugh apps. When you see the one you want you move out of the corner. Kind of like command-tab for your mouse.
Mail - when you delete a message delete it from the IMAP server(.mac) automatically(what a pita). A way to archive mail.
Sherlock - a conversion channel - weights, measures, currencies(w/mkt. rates), etc.
iSync - safari history, recent items - docs and apps,

I know the other guys were there first, but given Apple have made a big thing of the sliding draws, I'd like to see the Bookmarks window work as a draw rather than the new window thing which is reasonably capacious, but just annoys me sometimes...

Really what I would like to see. (since all the iCandy has already been mentioned in this thread I won't repeat it:))

1) ReiserFS!!! Or something besides ext3.
2) A way to configure the Darwin kernel to fit my needs.
3) Have the Gentoo portage software built in OS X (when it's done ;))
4) Have the choice between window managers when booting. Could be something like "Please choose your environment" Aqua, Fluxbox, KDE (damn it would be tight to run OS X apps in another window manager other then Aqua)
5) Better networking support
6) Crypto support
7) Built in prelinking (*nix tool to speed up apps maybe make something like that and run it as a cron at 4am or whatever I know 10.3 has something like that but it only does small files that's not good enough)
8) And lastly a way to use rendezvous to install 10.4 on more then one mac. Kinda like Xcode and compiling apps.

*Fix the "Connect to Server..." back to how it was in Jaguar and fix the network browsing to work much much faster. It's rediculously slow even with a few computers and workgroups and unreliable to boot.

*Remove "File>Duplicate" and replace it with "File>Cut" so that you can actually MOVE a file without 1)having to drag and hold through a million sub folders or Copy & Paste and go back and delete the old file. Who needs duplicate when you can Copy&Paste just as fast?

*Fix the printings... in every web browser on the system, Aqua controls get screwed up when printing or saving as a PDF (essentially the same thing).

*Add a menu to the Apple menu or such that would give you fast access to your programs. I still find that I work slower on my Mac than my PC where I would rather see it the other way around.

*Built-in email checker? So you wouldn't have to have Mail (or another app) running and sucking your memory.

*Better native support for PC mice with multi-buttons.

*A way to change the function key settings on powerbooks to be the other way around so you don't have to use FN to access your F# keys. (How dumb is that! Who designed this thing?)

*True CDRW support.

*A way to show hidden non-system files (like Windows, sorry) or both system and non-system files, depending on what you want to see in the Finder.

Is my list long enough? :) A lot of little Apple quirks that haven't changed since my System 7 days that still turn up once in a while. I'm sure I'll think of more stuff later. It'd be nice if Apple did read these.

btoth said:
*Remove "File>Duplicate" and replace it with "File>Cut" so that you can actually MOVE a file without 1)having to drag and hold through a million sub folders or Copy & Paste and go back and delete the old file. Who needs duplicate when you can Copy&Paste just as fast?

That would remove one feature just to add another. Have the File->Cut be an alt-click option rather than a replacement...

btoth said:
*Fix the printings... in every web browser on the system, Aqua controls get screwed up when printing or saving as a PDF (essentially the same thing).

Yep. The pdf support could be better with regards to GUI elements...

btoth said:
*Add a menu to the Apple menu or such that would give you fast access to your programs. I still find that I work slower on my Mac than my PC where I would rather see it the other way around.

This is always a matter of how you use your mac, but I find the default mac setup much faster than a pc.

That said, for $20 / $40 [depending on whether your a home or business user] you could buy Launch Bar.

Believe me, it's worth every penny!

btoth said:
*Built-in email checker? So you wouldn't have to have Mail (or another app) running and sucking your memory.

That's just plain silly! So by building it into the system it'll use less memory?

Where would it stop? Would you want Safari built in next? You've been hanging round Windows too long, mate!.. :D

octane said:
That's just plain silly! So by building it into the system it'll use less memory?

Where would it stop? Would you want Safari built in next? You've been hanging round Windows too long, mate!.. :D

Windows doesn't do it either, but I like how in Unix when you log in it will tell you if you have any new mail (at least at school it did). Just something in the menu bar or such (an option of course) that would let you know if you have mail waiting, then you can use your prefered email app to check it. :) This wasn't of big importance to me, just an idea, and a 3rd party app is probably available or easy enough to write.

And no.... web browsing should not be built in to the Finder, the Finder should be used to manages files.... not act as a web browser. (My opinion anyway.) I like being able to choose what web browser I want to use. :D

That would remove one feature just to add another. Have the File->Cut be an alt-click option rather than a replacement...

Does anyone actually use this though? It does the same thing as Copy/Paste, it's very easy to just do Command+C Command+V. Though you don't have to remove it, but a Cut would be nice (or maybe Apple would name it Move). I personally get sick of all of Apple's "hidden" options like Alt-this Option-that. I thought Macs where supposed to be "easier". :)

I thought of two more things (probably mentioned before):

* A Restore option for the trash, for when you delete something accidentally and want to later put it back to where it was. I actually use this feature often in Windows (not that I'm trying to make OS X more like Windows... heck no! but a useable feature should not be overlooked just because Windows has it).

* I think that there should be an Unistaller app to go along with the Installer app. That way programs that do use the Installer (mostly really big app packages like Office and Adobe) would have an Uninstaller to clean up files that you probably don't know exist in your system somewhere and are tricky to remove. Unlike the Windows uninstaller, the Apple one would probably work :) because we don't have crap like DLLs and Registry entries that muck up the works.

btoth said:
* I think that there should be an Unistaller app to go along with the Installer app. That way programs that do use the Installer (mostly really big app packages like Office and Adobe) would have an Uninstaller to clean up files that you probably don't know exist in your system somewhere and are tricky to remove. Unlike the Windows uninstaller, the Apple one would probably work :) because we don't have crap like DLLs and Registry entries that muck up the works.

You've pretty much covered the pros and cons of such a scheme.

The problem is, some applications still create files in odd locations, like in your home directory as hidden files. I find this annoying.

Also, the liberal spattering of preference files that have no creator information so you don't know whether they belong to the system or not.

One thing I hope never to see in OS X is the system install roll-back feature in Windows.

I'm not too sure if that's still in or not. But the fact is, any operating system that needs such a feature doesn't exactly instill confidence in me as to the stability or integrity of installations...

What about its name.... which big cat would you like to see next?? We've had Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar & Panther. Should Apple even continue with this theme? Personally, I think so, I like it but eventually they'll run out of cats!!

idk there are a lot of different cats out there... idk how many wildcats there are. I think i may be turned off abit if the next release is called American Shorthair. Not that the name of an OS really matters, as long as it works.

One thing i think might be kind of a good idea(might get flamed on this one) is to do what microsoft did with explorer. I think it would be nice if finder also functioned as a web browser, safari is nice, but if you already have finder running why not save some memory and loading time by mashing safari into finder.

What I dont understand about explerer and Internet explorer is that you can open explorer and type in a url and it will change browsing mode to web and open the link. This doesnt start iexplorer and uses the same amount of memory. If you run IE it starts a process called iexplorer now you are running ie and explorer, basically the same 2 programs with the exception that one is called internet explorer and has different settings(icons and view mostly, all things that can be changed) than explorer. Why didnt MS just put it all into one? Having the shortcut for IE just open to a diff(web) location than My Documents.

All this coming from a guy who uses firefox as his default Pc browser...

I dropped these two articles [this one and that one] on another thread, but they make sense here.

Apple should be pretty keen to weave in more [some?] 64-bit support and more multithreading capabilities to get the best out of OS X and the G5 chip.

This is clearly in Apple's best interests. What better way to market Shake and Final Cut if they dig deep[er] into the chip.

And what better way to differentiate themselves from Windows XP 64 beta?

Like the article states, the Xserve is likely to be the first system to see an 64-bittified version of OS X.

Anyway, megahertz are so 2002 .. 64-bit is the new black...

I am going to bump this one up, just because I want to see what others think about what i said above.

LOOK UP^^^^^^^^^^^

I say let Finder be Finder. Was thrilled when Sherlock was severed. Safari is my default browser but wouldn't want to be tied to it. Understand what you mean about [initial] load time, but once your browser is open there's no problem and the way X manages memory you won't see significant savings.

Don't see how Apple can come up with a classier looking cat than Panther.

I want 10.4 to be 10.3.3...

Now, if all you guys would gather together and develop this system, with everything mentioned in this thread, we wouldn't need Apple anymore :)

Back