SPSS 11 can't start up

wrxsnow

Registered
after double-click SPSS 11, it will disappear after some seconds.
my os is tiger 10.4.3
and have enough hardware space and memory
anyone can help?

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just found out that spss is not compatible with intel macs. Does anyone know of a stats package that will be equivilent? I've just got my macbook precisely so I could use spss and I don't want to ditch it and get a pc lappy. Apart from the fact I couldn't afford to anyway.

Alternatively, would windows spss work on virtual pc?

thanks Viro. Do you know how it compares to spss? I've emailed my lecturer, but I have a feeling that she ain't gonna like it. I got a somewhat bemused response as it is when I told them I was on macs!

I've never used SPSS. But from what I gather, SPSS is a nice interface to a set of statistical tools. R is much more like Matlab, where it provides you with all the necessary tools, but you use it in a much more programmatical (is there such a word) way. You write programs in R, but with SPSS ....you click buttons(?).

Check with your lecturer to see what he/she thinks.

given the problems I'm having with simply trashing stuff and finding basic things like appleworks, I think programming is waaaay beyond me. Even clicking buttons seems to land me in a mess.

I've emailed the links you sent me to the Dr though, so I'll see what she says. Thanks for taking the time to help :)

Apologies again for uprooting an old post. Does anyone know of any SPSS type software on open source for intel macs?

I have installed R 6.1.2 as Viro suggested, but I have no idea how to use the functions. At the moment I just want to have a look at some datasets and check what variables are on them.

Any help gratefully accepted :)

Hi thanks for that Delta. I'll have a play with it. Most stats stuff seems to presume you understand the math behind them which is a bit of an issue with me! I couldn't even begin to work out how to get my datasets into R! I think I need to get my old stats books out again.

I know about SPSS16 but my uni STILL hasn't got a version of it and my windows version has expired.

Will try out statistic-pro... it's cheap enough after all!

Back