Spyware question?

spyware/adware usually targets the windows registry.

the registry was a way of saving disk space in the early days of windows in the 90's. it is a way of letting all applications share common files instead of duplicating them. quite a good idea, in theory. in practice, it doesn't work and is the complete root of nearly all virus's, adware, spyware and other malware.

in MacOSX, all applications are more or less independent of each other.

Well my computer has been doing a lot of weird things lately, I'm still having problems.
And a few days ago when i searched for something on google it said that it appeared my network or computer had been infected by a virus or spyware..

I think what you're seeing are pop-up ads that try and sucker people into clicking on them with phrases like "Your internet could be going much faster -- click here to remedy" or "Your computer appears to be infected by blah-blah -- click here to clean". Those are not legitimate warnings -- besides, your web browser will not be the application to notify you of infection if your computer is ever infected, so don't trust web browser messages.

If you can describe "weird things" in detail, we might be able to help you sort things out. As of right now, though, it's definite that your computer is not infected with spyware, malware or viruses -- your problems are coming from something else.

A good thing to try when experiencing weird things is to simply create another temporary user account using the "Accounts" pane of the System Preferences and see if the weird things persist when logged in under that new account. If they do, it's most likely a system-wise problem -- if not, then it's most likely something to do with your previous user account.

If you really paranoid there is a program that will let you watch (with warnings) outgoing traffic called Little Snitch. You will be AMAZED by the number of Applications "calling home".

Back