Startup Casulties

ss43

Registered
I have an ibook g4, 12' 1gz , One day I was d/ling a simpons episode and the computer turned off. Upon restart it came to a grey screen with black box saying You need to restart in 5 languages. tried that about 5 times and kept going there. tried to zap the pram , same problem. Im not worried about my data i just want to be able to use this thing again. I tied to boot from the cd that came with it, same thing after the cd loads it goes to that screen. I have a firewire cd drive and when i try the cd that came with it or a jaguar cd or a diskwarrior boot cd i get the same result. I have tried loading in target mode. and i get the same outcome.Jaguar is whats installed on it.Classic is not installed on my system. I have another mac g4 and a firewiredirive , what are my other options. what can i do in single or verbose mode to fix this or what can i do period.
 

barhar

Registered
'what are my other options?'
Options:
01. With the Jaguar installation CD inserted into the PowerBook (PB), reboot the PB with the <options> key pressed. Once all of the bootable volumes are displayed and the cursor eventually becomes an arrow - click on the Jaguar installation CD's icon and then the '-->' button.
02. With the PB turned OFF - connect the two Macs with a Firewire cable, turn ON the PB with the 'T' pressed - until the Firewire symbol appears on the PB's screen, locate the PB's icon on the 'other' G4. Backup any files (if possible) and reinstall Jaguar (and all related updates) and all other applications.

'what can i do in single or verbose mode to fix this ...', you cannot do anything from within the listed modes. See the two options above.
 

ss43

Registered
Ok when i use option to start from CD it lets me choose the cd, then goes to to a grey apple green acts like its gunna load , than goes to a blue screen, plain. It sounds like the cd quit spining after about 5 minutes of the screen being blue , then theres nothing you can do. When i try to boot from my mac g4 in target mode, the firewire icon appears and my other mac seems ok then the grey screen whith the black box and you need to restart. This comes up on the screen of my other mac and i have to reboot. im using the firewire cable from my dvd-r,external. Anyboy got anything else I can do? :(
 

Damrod

Registered
Revenge of the non-p2p alliance, that's what you get from downloading... (Sorry, could not resist... :))

Hm, I think it's strange that you can not boot from the CD. Do you have in any way warrenty left for it? If that's the case, I would get it to Apple for them to take a look.
 

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
ss43 said:
Ok when i use option to start from CD it lets me choose the cd, then goes to to a grey apple green acts like its gunna load , than goes to a blue screen, plain. It sounds like the cd quit spining after about 5 minutes of the screen being blue , then theres nothing you can do. When i try to boot from my mac g4 in target mode, the firewire icon appears and my other mac seems ok then the grey screen whith the black box and you need to restart. This comes up on the screen of my other mac and i have to reboot. im using the firewire cable from my dvd-r,external. Anyboy got anything else I can do? :(
Yep, I have an idea. What you have is a hardware problem that manifested itself. It may be a bad RAM model or something worse. Fist try to remove any extra RAM. Second, if the first step is fruitless, take the machine to an Apple store (if your AppleCare is still valid) or or to your local Apple Specialist.
 

fryke

Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Quite definitely a hardware issue, yes.
 

ss43

Registered
thanxs for the input, damrod you cracked me up. I had that system7. its hard to even imagine. Before 10.0(X) there were alot of updates and rumors of the new software. I heard the rumor before os-x, the system software was going to be called "Copeland" but it got scraped. I wish e-World was still here. anyways. I bought the laptop for 50 bucks (used, as is) the guy I got it from was the one of the p2p. However it has tons of pirated stuff on there so im not taking it to an apple store. The apple care has been invalid for months, i guess im going to buy an external hd enclosure and install Panther and try to boot from that, think it will work?
 

lightsabre

Registered
Damrod said:
Hm, I think it's strange that you can not boot from the CD. Do you have in any way warrenty left for it? If that's the case, I would get it to Apple for them to take a look.
Does an apple warranty cover software issues?
 

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
lightsabre said:
Does an apple warranty cover software issues?
It depends on the software. I would think that the only software problems Apple would cover would be damaged installation disks from the factory. If the "bits" on the CD or DVD are good, then it would most certainly be a user-error or hardware-error if the software did not function or install -- in which case, the warranty wouldn't concern the software.
 

fryke

Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Erh... It's a kernel panic. Not dependent on the software installed, apparently, since it doesn't boot from the OS installation CD/DVD either. -> Hardware issue.
 

lightsabre

Registered
ElDiabloConCaca said:
It depends on the software. I would think that the only software problems Apple would cover would be damaged installation disks from the factory. If the "bits" on the CD or DVD are good, then it would most certainly be a user-error or hardware-error if the software did not function or install -- in which case, the warranty wouldn't concern the software.
The one thing i hate about Macs, they're like a BMW car, if you get something wrong, they'll cost you an arm and a leg to get fixed, or just a complicated messy crappy system of short warranties or 'protection' plans - trash
 
Top