Startupitems in panther?

new_roti

Registered
hi

i wants that applications like mail starts on startup of the system.
in 10.2.8 there was a controlpanel but in panther.
is there a folder or app to do that??

new_roti said:
cool thanks ! how silly of apple to drop it there !

Not silly at all! Since OS X is now a true multi-user system, each user needs to have their own startup items in their own account. What better place to put it other than in the System Preferences under the "Accounts" pane?

Well, I've learned something tonight. ::love::

I didn't know where Startup Items was either - and I've been using OSX almost since it came out!

That's the problem with having no FM to R....

I just want to clarify something : this startup items is not a true startup item but a login item list. Things dropped into this list will only start when the selected user logs in and not when the computer starts up and sits at the login screen.

For new_roti's application of course that's what we want, but some other apps (like dynamic-dns reporting clients) might need another solution.

I would caution against having _too_ many login items.

In tests [Mail, Safari, Extensis Suitcase X1 & iTunes], I've found it takes longer to get a usable, responsive mac than it would if I launched the applications manually...

That's true octane - I am using Grammarian and boy does it hog my boot up time! If only Apple would buy out this kind of app, clean it up and give us a global spell check and grammar checker! I even use it on Word files and my posts here on macosx!

Back